If you are a Kafka fan check this (1 Viewer)

I found this book about Kafka's life and his storys that is illustrated by none other than the infamous underground comic book artist Robert Crumb. Its a work of art, it really is. I belive that the book is now out of print, but it is still easy to find on Amazon and such (I just ordered mine from Borders). I was not even sure if I wanted to buy it at first, thought it might be a crap thing to waste my money on. But I ordered it, and damn I was wrong. So if you are into Kafka and or good art, buy it. Its called R. Crumb"s Kafka

I guess nobody else wants to touch this, but now that I did, guess somebody will put their non-sense in. Thay gave you the cold shoulder.. been there... guess nobody knows shit bout kafka.... or their waiting for some dumb ass to look stupid......... Hey here I am.... fire away! Brondon you pissed some people off I guess. By the way this is not A KAFKA, AKFAK!

I like Kafka and Crumb. In Halifax I have this buddy, a huge Kafka fan whose been in and out of drunk tanks since he was 19. In August, he was kept in one for 2 days and came out with bruises and a swelled nose- the whole ordeal gave him a minor nervous breakdown. He would read "In the Penal Colony" over and over again and rant about it at great length. What about "Trial"?- but he said "Penal" was more about prison, go figure.
In many ways FK is the thinking man's Poe.

i never enjoyed kafka very much.
we have opposing tastes.
but i saw his comics online after re-reading the metamorphosis
for a class.
i was impressed.

Its called R. Crumb"s Kafka

It's actually called "Kafka for beginners". Great book. Crumb has done some fine illustrations. What I would like to see some day is "Buk for beginners" by Crumb! That would really be something...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha. I did'nt know that. I have the first edition...:eek:

Yeah? I love this story! It's one of the best in the book. About the poor Gregor Samsa who has been transformed into a beetle-like creep.:eek:
What a loving and understanding family he had...:rolleyes:
How come it makes me think of Buk's family - especially his father? :D

It wasn't really presented in that context when I read it the first time. Mainly, it was just another example of existentialism (which my high school english teachers loved). I found it a tad bit boring. I'll read it again, though.

yes, it is indeed very boring. i guess i just liked the idea of the novella.

wouldnt your family shit their pants if they woke up and you had been morphed into a giant cock-roach/bug?

thats a pretty clever idea for a story. and for Kafka to come along with an idea like that, so early, is just astonishing.

I'll resurrect this old thread. I picked up the Kafka/Crumb book and ready it straight through. Really nice for an intro and well worth the money. Not only does he give you the Crumb take on Kafka's life, but they have short takes on most of Kafka's stories. After that I read "A Hunger Artist". Really interesting and seemingly simple writing, but it says a lot in a few short pages. Well worth the read. A lot of his stories seem to be based on his own short life, so in that way, he was a lot like Buk. plus, yes, he has a tough father.

Bill

Some of these old threads are great - I wouldn't necessarily start any of these, but there's plenty to say.

Any Kafka is worth a read even if there's no Crumb or any other connection. A visual Camus, if you will. The absurd from a different perspective; but at the end, all we have is everything happened anyway. If only in your conception of paranoia.

Really interesting and seemingly simple writing, but it says a lot in a few short pages. Well worth the read. A lot of his stories seem to be based on his own short life, so in that way, he was a lot like Buk. plus, yes, he has a tough father.
totally agree. i picked it up recently and the combo of crumb and kafka seemed perfect.

The Kafka/Crumb book is a great introduction to Kafka, and Crumb's artwork is awesome...

A lot of his stories seem to be based on his own short life, so in that way, he was a lot like Buk. plus, yes, he has a tough father.

Right! Another outsider with a mean father...

I need to get this. I love Kafka and Crumb.

Been reading a lot of Kafka again lately. What a writer. Some of his stories continue to haunt me and some of them continue to puzzle me.. A Hunger Artist, for example, is a very interesting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back