It began as a mistake... (1 Viewer)

C

Charles

It did, actually. My sister had accidentally left a copy of 'Post Office' in my guest room when she was visiting a few years back. The bold proclamation on the bottom of the cover immediately got my attention: "One of the funniest books ever written". I read the first 30 pages or so and I thought, huh? The humor was so dry that it went right over my head. I was waiting for the zinger, the rimshot. I guess I was expecting David Sedaris or something. I set the thing down and didn't pick it up again for a few weeks. Not sure what changed in that time but when I picked up the book again I read it straight through in just a few hours, with great appreciation for the bold simplicity and complete lack of pretension-a refreshing lack of wit(or contrived wit, I should say) The man wasn't trying to impress anybody. He just said it like it was. I was impressed.

Since then I've never looked back. Women. Factotum. Ham on Rye. A bit of poetry. Short stories. I just enjoy the man's work. I often think of Bukowski as a frequency, and those that "get him" are on that frequency. Those that don't, aren't. It took me a few weeks but I'm thankful that I landed on the right channel. Glad to be here.

Appreciate the warm welcome. One thing I'd like to point out is that, while not my legal name, Charles has been my nickname since...well, as long as I can remember. My father began calling me that after his father-Charles-had died. Not trying to be cute or ironic there. Good. Glad I got that outta the way.

Sisters can be sneaky Stavrogin. In fact, any music or literature that I currently hold any interest in can usually be traced right back to her influence. Maybe it wasn't a mistake at all. I'll have to ask her about that.

Sisters can be sneaky Stavrogin. In fact, any music or literature that I currently hold any interest in can usually be traced right back to her influence. Maybe it wasn't a mistake at all. I'll have to ask her about that.

Women are good educators! Ha!
Nice avatar!

I always wished I had a sister. Just had brothers. I love them, but it would have been nice having a sister. Why, I have no idea. Maybe she would leave behind books for me to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back