It's Got A Good Beat & I Can Drink To It (1 Viewer)

Felt like talking music with my new friends and fellow Bukowski fans.
New, old, who you have the most albums by in your collection. And so on.

Lemme lay a couple questions out here to get it started:

1. Do you collect music? If so, what's your format of choice? And how many do you have?

My answer to that is yes. I'm a collector. I got back into vinyl collecting in 2002. Then, I had a shitty fucked up turntable that I'd been dragging around with me for years. Never used it much. But, one day, I wanted to listen to something that I only had on vinyl. At that time too, I only had about 200 albums. (I now have just shy of 2000.) So, I pulled that album out and it all came rushing back. I LOVED playing records. So I went out and bought a crappy plastic denon table. No good. Went and bought a Music Hall MMF 2.1. Not bad, but still too much inner grove distortion. Well, at that time I got lucky and got a small inheritance from a dead grammy. I stashed 3k of it into a CD at my bank. A year later, I gained 30 bucks and went out and bought a VPI Scout. A $1,700 turntable. It's a work of art. Ain't nothin' in the world like a clean record on a fine turntable. Analog ROCKS.

2. If you're a music lover, do you recall when you first realized it as a kid?

My folks had a RCA console stereo with a turntable in it. My Dad had a bunch of big band records and some small jazz groups. For some reason I gravitated toward those records. I still have the good ones and still play them from time to time. Music has always been my #1 passion - next to drinking - and I'm grateful for that. I got my own little record player when I was about 6 and that thing spun constantly.
The first album I got for xmas that I could call my own was "Two For The Show" by Kansas. I don't have that same copy anymore (it was accidentally destroyed) but I've gone through 3 copies since and it still holds a place in me musical heart. The first album I bought with my own money was 'Double Vision' by Foreigner when it first came out.

the first record player that I ever had was one of those wind up crank one's. (I shit you not!) don't remember what brand. My parents bought it used and gave it to me for christmas probably around 1957. it had a speaker(?) on the arm of it. I can actually remember having my parents wind it for me because I was too small to wind it enough to play all the way through the record. the first things that I remember listening to were a yellow colored record about Davey Crockett (does anyone remember 78 rpm?) and "hang down your head Tom Dooley" by the kingston trio. damn I'm an old bastard!!

Far out! We were just talking about that exact kind of record player last night on our show. I never had one of those but, the dead grammy I spoke of above had that exact 78 of Davey Crockett. I loved that one. She had TONS of 78s. Too bad I didn't get those. I could make a buck off of 'em.

She also had a 78 by, if I remember right, Tex Avery, called Smoke Smoke Smoke (That Cigarette!) Remember that one?

I do collect music...cd's now but I have a collection of about 80 vinyls that my dad left me... all I really dig is old shit my favorites CCR, tom petty, Van, The Cars, god blessit so many more just to shitcanned, yes it is one word.. new stuff I dig is only folk.. Like Ani Di.
I first realized music was important when every sunday my ma made me clean house to old records and I would get so excited to clean when my favorite shit came on... I would almost cry when I heard Jackson Browne or Allman brothers... REO... I love sad stuff... My only Favorite from now is the counting Crows

Other than Ani Di, who I've not heard of, I dig all the ones you mentioned there Magi. One of my coolest early memories was me and my older cousin, a 70's head of sorts. She used to put REO Speedwagon's "You Get What You Play For" double live on and we'd play tennis racket guitar to it cranked loud as fuck. Actually, I had not spoken with her for 20+ years and one day about 2 years ago, I wrote her a letter thanking her for those times. Told her that if it hadn't been for her, I wouldn't love the music I do today and probably wouldn't be the same person if not for her groovy influence. She wrote back saying my letter brought her to tears. Whoa. Ahhhhh music.

Actually, I wrote a bigass poem which is a timeline of my love of music throughout my life. I'm gonna go find that and link to it just for the hell of it.

(later edit) I was wrong. It's not written anywhere I can link to. It is on my site on my live album, "Live At A Latte Books", 1st cut, 'At The End?' though. Oh well.

Also, Magi, I assume when you write "Van" that you mean Morrison? He's one of my favorites. Got damn near everything he's ever put out. And have his new album, 'Keep It Simple' on it's way to me on vinyl!

Yes, I have. And I would never own one. I am familiar with people who have and they say they are horribly overrated and no where close to what they claim to be. Especially for that kind of money.

Plus, it's still digtal, which defeats the point of a turntable in the first place.

Really? I haven't seen any negative reviews of it, and I don't know anyone who owns one, but the concept (to me anyway) is great.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 LPs and a fairly good Technics turntable, but the paper cones in my speakers rotted and tore from age and I haven't bothered to replace them. These days I mostly listen to flacs on my computer. Not being an audiophile, it works for me.

I had thousands of albums and singles ranging from the mid 60's to the mid 80's, including a seriously comprehensive Reggae collection that contained records that were literally pressed in the hundreds on plain white handwritten labels, as opposed to the hundreds of thousands or millions.

In the mid-80's I sold each and every one of those records, plus every guitar I had and then finally my car, just to survive in Los Angeles.

As you can see, I survived, and I do not miss those records, though at times I regret selling the guitars. I sold a guitar for $700 in 1989 that is worth - I shit you not - $15,000 - $18,000 today. So that kind of thing kind of sticks in your craw. Though if I had it now I wouldn't sell it for any price. It was a thing a beauty and a Stradivari of electric guitars.

But music is music. It's still in my head. And if I heard half of it today, I would probably wonder what I ever saw in it in the first place.

Though I have half a terabyte of MP3s on my storage server here in the house. If that tells you anything.

I had a turntable until '89 then it died. I still keep a bunch of the old vinyl around. I could never see myself as one of those guys who collects old 78s. I feel if those recording make it onto a cd and sound good. That's fine with me. I also have a pretty extensive tape collection that I listen to when I'm driving.

There's a funny thing happening today in the music industry... A lot of bands are recording their pieces using analogue equipment (reel to reel and valve desks etc) and then they release the material on a bloody CD!!!!! Is it just me or is that a bit mental? Kinda defeating the objective? I think Steely Dan did it with Two against Nature and also The White Stripes to name but two... Nutters!

Yes and Yes Van Morrison and Ani Difranco.. shit baby there are so many more, I certainly believe music is the reason other than a drink to wake up in the morning...I also really dig jazz and blues it just depends on the night and the mood.. I went to memphis and clarksdale last summer,, to Morgan Freemans blues club Ground Zero, you should check it out, That blues gets in your bones.. which goes back to my Greg Allman reference which is very bluesy.. something new for me, cause I listen to all old shit mainly Dylan, is Dave Mathews Band live in concert they are crazy good

There's a funny thing happening today in the music industry... A lot of bands are recording their pieces using analogue equipment (reel to reel and valve desks etc) and then they release the material on a bloody CD!!!!! Is it just me or is that a bit mental? Kinda defeating the objective? I think Steely Dan did it with Two against Nature and also The White Stripes to name but two... Nutters!

Not nutters in the least. Having an analog source is intended to be put on vinyl, even nowadays. But, having an analog source put onto a cd always sounds better than having the recording done in digital pro-tools anyday! The problem i find is buying vinyl that comes from an all digital source. Still sounds like shit.

And I bet on a Friday night you still can't find a song you really want to hear.
Depends on how much NyQuil I've had.

But the TiVo is jacked into the home network, so I just hit a few buttons on the remote and I can pull up any of those songs from the couch.

Probably much faster than I could find the album, put it on the turntable, clean the microscopic dust off the fucker with that ridiculous wood and felt DiscWasher thingy that I obsessively used, and then find the track with the needle (that last part makes more sense when it's a Johnny Thunders record, of course).

But yeah, generally, I walk into the other room, pull out a CD and stick it in the CD thingy in the stereo thingy and hit the buttons there. The big knob makes it louder. Always remember that the big knob makes it louder and you can work any audio gear on the planet.

I have the MP3s because I am an obsessive organizer and collector. Though I have been trying to cure myself through adopting a more all-encompassing laziness. So far, so good.

1. Do you collect music? If so, what's your format of choice? And how many do you have?

CD's 75%
Vinyl Albums 20%
Cassette Tapes 5%

Yes - but I'll save it for a future posting....

Yeah. Not quite up to the full terabyte yet, but
everything is stored on the 'puter. What I haven't
yet burned is still on cd/dvd.

I had a trick (keen, cool, neat-o) turn table and
loved the vinyl. And I miss having a reel to reel.

My history with keeping possessions is sad.

I have pretty eclectic tastes, with a heavy
salting of Alt.Americana

Alt being Anarchist, Lunatics, and Terrorists
Americana being just that.: Americana

I run a pretty broad spectrum though, and I'm
always listening for new sounds, new people...

Funny. I love silence more than anything else.
But I love music just as much...

So, it's like that.

I certainly understand the convenience factor of CDs and a hard drive chock full of mp3s or flacs, but, some of us prefer the inconvenience of vinyl because well, it's still the highest resolution format made by man yet. Plus, I love the covers. Just can't get that with an mp3.

Yes indeed.

I had a couple boxes at my doorstep yesterday. One was Sinatra, Live At The Sands, double vinyl, and the other, Bill Evans, The Tokyo Concert.

Both are awesome. Very good recording of the Bill Evans. But, it was done in Japan. Not surprising in the least.

The Sinatra was really cool. Again, for a 1965 recording in smokey Vegas, it sounded great. Frank was in top form in '65. And quite the comedian too.

...some of us prefer the inconvenience of vinyl because well, it's still the highest resolution format made by man yet.
That's a fallacy, but a long discussion for another thread.

I'm 48 years old, so I know all about sitting on your bedroom floor and staring at album covers for 45 minutes while the record played (with a break in the middle to get up and turn it over, naturally).

But when CDs came along I said, hallelujah, baby! I would never buy something now on vinyl that I could get on CD. Different experience, yeah. A more convenient one. And I don't have 45 minutes to stare at anything anymore, so I shed no tears over the demise of LPs.

I have a turntable and some LPs, and as I said elsewhere, I sure wish I hadn't sold those I once had, but as a format, it is not optimal. And sonically it is not optimal.

If you have even been in on a mastering session at Bernie Grundman or another high end mastering studio, You can hear and compare the master tape, the LP acetate (if you are making one) the mastered CD, and if I blindfolded you, the only way you'd know the CD from the LP acetate is if there was a pop or a snap in the acetate. If you look at the scope while they are cutting those things, they are exactly the same.

Thing is, most people with a vinyl fetish now also have an audio hardware fetish, so they say, "Listen how great this vinyl sounds!" But on equal equipment I still defy anyone to pass the blindfold test. But it's hard to do without any bias, because you will always hear the vinyl defects and know which is which.

The problem is when they remade a lot of the early CDs they didn't cut them from master tapes, so for the first few years, yeah, most CDs sounded like crap. But those days are long gone.

It's all personal preference and personal delusion, just like in the guitar and amp world. "Oh, this is so much warmer..." What the fuck is a warm sound? Sounds are not warm or cold.

Someone asked Rick Nielsen (sp?) from Cheap Trick years ago why he played so many different guitars on stage, was it to achieve different sounds? He laughed and said, no, he switched them out because each one looked different. "They all sound the same when you play that loud through that much equipment." He was exaggerating, but not much.

Jesus, I said it was a long discussion for another thread and then I rambled. As usual.

YEah, I'm not even gonna touch that one. Tis all personal preference. And it's all 100% subjective.

Really? I haven't seen any negative reviews of it, and I don't know anyone who owns one, but the concept (to me anyway) is great.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=31510
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=69685

There's a couple threads from one of if not THE most informed audio forum on the internet regarding the laser turntable.

Do you collect music?
No, but songs get stuck in my head anyway. And they pile up....and I have to alphabetize them...

If you're a music lover, do you recall when you first realized it as a kid?

Yep - when I realized music was more important than sleep. I would stay up listening to the radio just to hear a favorite song. AM radio in the U.S. in the 1970's - ahhh....those were the days.

Yeah, I was a fan of AM in the 70's. Grew up in chicagoland and loved Larry Lujack & little Tommy. And John 'Records' Landecker in the evenings with Boogiecheck!

I still collect music, but not as much as I one did. I have probably 200 Grateful Dead shows on either tape or CD. I also have pretty much everything released by The Clash on CD. Recently I've been digging Tom Wait.

I realized my love of music when I was probably 4 or 5. certain songs on the radio would catch my ear and I would be mesmorized. I remember my mom buying me KISS 8 track tapes back in the mid 70's and just sitting in front of the stereo watching the stereo while I listened. I also loved just staring at album covers while listening to the record. YES album covers were pretty great to look at. Gota love the gatefold albums!

I now have 3 kids and no time to indulge myself in music like I once did. I do miss the old days sometimes, but fuck it. It is what it is.

Yeah, I was a fan of AM in the 70's. Grew up in chicagoland and loved Larry Lujack & little Tommy. And John 'Records' Landecker in the evenings with Boogiecheck!

I remember listening to Animal Stories while my mom drove me to school in the morning! Remember the WLS Fantastic Plastic Card? Good times!!

I now have 3 kids and no time to indulge myself in music like I once did. I do miss the old days sometimes, but fuck it. It is what it is.

This is the exact reason why I got the lines disconnected. Call it selfish but I just don't have nor want to take the time for kids. And how lucky am I that I found a woman that doesn't want kids ever either?

Oh yeah, The Fantastic Plastic Card. Forgot all about that one. The Enormous 89!

In '78/'79 I discovered FM radio. The Loop, when Steve Dahl and Gary Meier were on the morning show. I listened the day they did the Disco Demolition.

Oh, and some of you might dig this: Outlaw Radio with Matt Alan. They do this net show live on Saturdays. I listen often. They get real rude after the official show time is over. Good fun. "We Drink, We Smoke & We Interrupt!"

Tom Waits is supercool.

Since this is the music thread, and I think I mentioned it before, did anyone take the time to listen to my big life/music piece at the beginning of my live album? At The End? it's called. 1st thing on the album. I have a feeling many of you will dig it and may have shared some of the same experiences.

Buzzcat said:
Tom Waits is supercool.

Since this is the music thread, and I think I mentioned it before, did anyone take the time to listen to my big life/music piece at the beginning of my live album?

No. The music thread is: What are you listening to now?...and Tom Waits has his own thread.

Felt like talking music with my new friends and fellow Bukowski fans.
New, old, who you have the most albums by in your collection. And so on.

My answer to that is yes. I'm a collector. I got back into vinyl collecting in 2002. Then, I had a shitty fucked up turntable that I'd been dragging around with me for years. Never used it much. But, one day, I wanted to listen to something that I only had on vinyl. At that time too, I only had about 200 albums. (I now have just shy of 2000.) So, I pulled that album out and it all came rushing back. I LOVED playing records. So I went out and bought a crappy plastic denon table. No good. Went and bought a Music Hall MMF 2.1. Not bad, but still too much inner grove distortion. Well, at that time I got lucky and got a small inheritance from a dead grammy. I stashed 3k of it into a CD at my bank. A year later, I gained 30 bucks and went out and bought a VPI Scout. A $1,700 turntable. It's a work of art. Ain't nothin' in the world like a clean record on a fine turntable. Analog ROCKS.

My folks had a RCA console stereo with a turntable in it. My Dad had a bunch of big band records and some small jazz groups. For some reason I gravitated toward those records. I still have the good ones and still play them from time to time. Music has always been my #1 passion - next to drinking - and I'm grateful for that. I got my own little record player when I was about 6 and that thing spun constantly.
The first album I got for xmas that I could call my own was "Two For The Show" by Kansas. I don't have that same copy anymore (it was accidentally destroyed) but I've gone through 3 copies since and it still holds a place in me musical heart. The first album I bought with my own money was 'Double Vision' by Foreigner when it first came out.

Good questions. Uhh... I'm not really a collector. However, I absolutely HATE downloading music because I like to have the album\CD in hand. Can't stand digitized music.

And I remember knowing I loved music very distinctly. I LIKED music in high school, but as soon as I heard Dar Williams and Dave Carter at Falcon Ridge Folk Festival 2001, I knew I LOVED it.

They were to music what Buk was to poetry to me what Fante was to literature. A revitalization. When I found Fante, I had given up on lit, when I found Buk, I had given up on poetry, and when I found Dave Carter, I had given up on music.

"No. The music thread is: What are you listening to now?..."

Sheesh. That's rather picky man. Or contrarian.

One word off. I meant, "Since this is A music thread..."

Fuckin' sue me.

(disclaimer: now before ya go nuts, this is all in jest)

Tom Waits is supercool.

Since this is the music thread

No. The music thread is: What are you listening to now?...and Tom Waits has his own thread.

2376898705_531dd053a6.jpg

"No. The music thread is: What are you listening to now?..."

Fuckin' sue me.

(disclaimer: now before ya go nuts, this is all in jest)

You're cool Buzzcat.

That's an idea, the all in jest thread.
You should know I am nuts. There was only one other person in this forum I ever saw write the word contrarian. I like picky. Picky is what we get here with the mild winters.
On topic George Thorogood he pretty much takes the cake for this thread, correct?;)

Yes, I just posted there too to inform him that 'Mandy' is actually a song about alcoholism. So maybe he'll come back to us here.

Ah yes, you have unearthed a little-known fact about the dark side of Mandy ... "you kissed me and stopped me from shaking." Probably the original lyrics went, "Oh Mandy, liquor is quicker than candy ...":)

Seriously, I think my favorite alcoholism songs are "The Crystal Ship" by Jim Morrison and "My Slow Descent into Alcoholism" by the New Pornographers. Maybe I should start a thread ...

Seriously, I think my favorite alcoholism songs are "The Crystal Ship" by Jim Morrison and "My Slow Descent into Alcoholism" by the New Pornographers. Maybe I should start a thread ...

Worst song on alcohol?: [This video is unavailable.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back