Jeffers (1 Viewer)

Hi
I've seen that Bukowski very often mentioned Jeffers, and he seemed to like him. I wondered if you could recommend me one (or more) of his books please. And would you know where I may find some extracts online so that I can have an idea of his work before I start to buy again and again. I am not that stingy, but I begin to run out of money by buying tons of books for my research.
Thanks for your help, again.

Well there's this place.

First poem I clicked open made my day, a sunny day today:

Be Angry At The Sun

That public men publish falsehoods
Is nothing new. That America must accept
Like the historical republics corruption and empire
Has been known for years.

Be angry at the sun for setting
If these things anger you. Watch the wheel slope and turn,
They are all bound on the wheel, these people, those warriors.
This republic, Europe, Asia.

Observe them gesticulating,
Observe them going down. The gang serves lies, the passionate
Man plays his part; the cold passion for truth
Hunts in no pack.

You are not Catullus, you know,
To lampoon these crude sketches of Caesar. You are far
From Dante's feet, but even farther from his dirty
Political hatreds.

Let boys want pleasure, and men
Struggle for power, and women perhaps for fame,
And the servile to serve a Leader and the dupes to be duped.
Yours is not theirs.

i tried to read Jeffers some years ago ("because Bukowski told me so") but didn't get warm with him. [do you use this phrase in English? or maybe it should be translated 'couldn't warm up with him'???]

maybe should give him another try.

the first ever collectible book i ever bought was robinson jeffers' be angry at the sun first edition for $45 at a bookstore in missoula, mt. carried it around for a few seasons, finally sold it at sam wellers in slc, ut for five bucks for bus fare. it was my pride and joy, that book. few years later, back in slc, wandering around a bookstore kinda by the library, i forget the name, i saw the same book! sure enough, same everything, black hardbound, even $45 writ in the front page. jeffers was a friend for awhile, but i really struggled with him. he is my favorite for hawks.

Having done a modest amount of research, I've decided to locate three of his books:

1. Dear Judas and Other Poems
2. Be Angry at the Sun
3. Descent to the Dead (apparently this is a rare one, go figure...)

Have I missed anything obvious?

Having done a modest amount of research, I've decided to locate three of his books:

1. Dear Judas and Other Poems
2. Be Angry at the Sun
3. Descent to the Dead (apparently this is a rare one, go figure...)

Have I missed anything obvious?

i found "dear judas and other poems" dull. maybe there is a message there but i found the biblical style, not to mention the length, off-putting, a non-starter. i threw it away.

i'm not familiar with "descent..." i'd definetly go for "be angry..."

Hand

Fallen in between the tendons and bones
It looks like a dead hand. Poor hand a little longer
Write, and see what comes forth from a dead hand.

i guess that's jeffers letting his hair down.

Cool, that's just the kind of "cut-to-the-chase" comment I was looking for. I'll try to get ahold of Be Angry at the Sun. Descent... appears to only be available in rare signed editions. Probably not the best place for me to start.

Mr Jeffers was featured in todays LA Times travel section http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-jeffers6-2009sep06 and I was wondering if anyone has been to his house/musuem up in Big Sur? It was a great piece and makes me want to go up there..
no, I don't own any Jeffers books (though I do always scour used book shops for Be Angry at the Sun, because that's the one Buks steered me toward) but from what I've read about him, and Buk's accolades, I'm very much intrigued.

I have read thread after thread, post after post, of this site, for a while now, and drinking some red califonia big house wine from my liquor store job, and I am telling you that I have caught a buzz from this site like I catch a buzz from any good book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back