Jörg Fauser (1 Viewer)

Thirty years ago today Jörg Fauser died when a truck hit him while walking on a motorway near Munich. The exact circumstances of his death are obscure.
His novel Rohstoff, which has been translated into English by Jamie Bulloch as Raw Material, is now going to be filmed.

Bukowski reacted to Fauser's death in a letter to Carl Weissner from 25 August 1987. I have only the German translation of this letter. It's collected in Schreie vom Balkon.

Last edited:
Fauser as a prose writer was great, imo. Rohstoff is one kick ass novel.

I could never digest Fausers poetry. It sounds too much like a bad copy of badly translated Bukowski into German slang of the 70's. Haven't read it in a long time and not everything, tho. Maybe there are good poems too.

I also like this interview from 1984 where he explains:

"I'm a business man, writing is a bus-i-ness! I sell a product!" :D

Sadly no subtitles for the English speaking crowd but check out Fausers trademark I-am-an-average-German-bank-clerk-look und and sublime coolness (maybe he was simply bored).

Bukowski reacted to Fauser's death in a letter to Carl Weissner from 25 August 1987
yep, this is one moving letter.
I may have a look (soon?) through my facsimiles of CW-letters (not complete of course, but quite a bunch) to see if I can spot that one and post here.

Also seem to remember a letter from Buk (to CW or Benno Kaesayr) asking for Fauser and how he's doing. Musta been around the mid-80s. Maybe even shortly after he died.

And then there's this poem:
https://bukowskiforum.com/threads/bukowski-poem-for-joerg-fauser-joe.3601/#post-66466

The exact circumstances of his death are obscure.
ah, well. He was a known drunk and (ex?-)drug-addict and it was just the night of his birthday, when he walked there right on the street intoxicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back