Kids these daze (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a Les Claypool concert last night. It wwas the first time I had seen him. Man can that guy play.
The opening act was Secret Chiefs 3 who were also very good. And they started at 8 sharp which is always good when the doors are advertised to open at 7:30-usually that means you have to drink warm beer until 9. Not this night.

BUt I have to get this off my chest.
So you have this immensely talented bass player and equally talented musicians up there with him rocking the joint so much so that there are bodies flying everywhere. (I stood back my concert surfing days left me when Duran Duran became Power Station) but there was this 20 something kid beside me who, and I'm serious here, watched the entire thing threw his Iphone. He held it up and watched it the whole night. Now I've done my share of drugs but I can't for the life of me recall one making me want to stand 10 rows from the stage so I can watch the band threw a 3/12 inch screen.
I'm sure you'll see what I mean if you care to search youtube...I don't.

He's lucky the iphone can record it all, most phones cannot. I see nothing wrong with recording a show for future reference, especially if one is a big fan. Technology is what's incredible here, I'm glad I live in such an age. Maybe you should have focused more on the concert? What does age have to do with this anyway? At a recent concert, I smoked pot with a 40 something year old and he was recording certain songs on his phone.

I think you missed the point.
It's one thing to press record and still party it's an entirely other thing to watch the party through the eye of a needle.
And I mention age cause it seemed he is of the iphone age-you know that one white chord hanging from the ear crowd.

Fair enough.
I'm just guilty of holding a phone up to record part of a concert, and I'm a "twenty something kid" as well. Although I must admit, one feels like an idiot with the phone up and it's annoying to have to focus on the recording itself and not the music but sometimes the concert is just that good and viewing the recording later to remember the whole experience is nice.
A whole concert on an iphone does seem a bit exaggerated though. To each his own.

That's the point... what experience are you remembering when you watch the recording back. If you're focusing on the recording and feeling like a bit of an idiot then...

Oh never mind.

...it's annoying to have to focus on the recording itself and not the music but sometimes the concert is just that good and viewing the recording later to remember the whole experience is nice.
I don't know, I prefer one first hand experience to two secondhand experiences. Especially when anything you record on a cellphone is shit quality anyway. So not only are the experiences second hand, they're second rate. What's the point? It's like a Grateful Dead hippie with a Nagra on his lap and an elaborate microphone setup staring at vu meters all night instead of taking in what's going on.

When I was a teenager I became very interested in photography, so for a while I took a camera to every show (you could do that in ye olden dayes). A 35mm camera (or two), a couple of lenses, film...an entire stupid grab bag full of shit. I got a handful of good pictures, but after a few months it occurred to me that I wasn't really seeing the shows, watching them through the camera like that. So I quit bringing it, and had a much better time in the process.

Why stare through a lens - or at the back of a phone - when real live shit is happening right in front of your face?

Well, there is the concept that music is about music and not visuals. If one were blind, would a concert experience be that much compromised?

Video Killed The Radio Star

Let's be honest. People go to concerts for different reasons. And not everyone for the music. Some for the experience; some to say they were there, etc. It's a social networking experience, like here. And the Dead broke all the rules, way back when. So this is just an evolution of Dead concerts, rightfully so. Get out of your rockin' chairs, and let the kids be kids. The kids are allright... And just embracing today. And today's portable technology. Damn, what will tomorrow bring...

:confused:;)

Robots playing on mars transmitting a live video stream to your bio chipped eye lense player, that's what Yoda told me.

I still have some of the cassettes I bootlegged from shows and I got alot of enjoyment listening to them...and in all, they didnt infringe too much upon the live music experience (recorder stealthily nestled into the inside coat pocket... a little muffled but they came out better than one would think).
Sorta preserving a memory.

But if I knew I was gonna cut loose, go ape-shit, crush skulls (my own too) then NO WAY. I'd never be bothered with any gear.

Kids today? well, maybe they're preserving memories too...but I do hope they dont forget put their ear in the stacks, get sweaty and generally DIG the extra energy that (hopefully) comes from a live performance.

Of course kids will be kids and that's the way it should be.
"The kids will have their say" - an old record by SSD ( Society System Decontrol ).
Well, old, but I was a kid in the 80's...
Kids are our future, I'm serious about that.
Give respect and gain it back.
Mutual tolerance.
A sense of humor is essential along that way.

Well, there is the concept that music is about music and not visuals. If one were blind, would a concert experience be that much compromised?
I think it would be. If there's no reason to look at the stage or whatever one likes to look at, why bother going to some hockey arena, theater, bar or back yard to hear music? The records will sound much better.

Notice that no one ever says, "I heard Led Zeppelin at the Forum in '73, it was awesome!"

The don't say that about James Brown, Roy Clark, Billie Holiday or Valerian either. You see a concert, you listen to a recording.

In my ever humble opinion, anyway.

Mutual tolerance.
Tolerance is for pussies.

I agree it's about the experience of going and SEEING the concert, how they, the band interact together on stage. The special little moments that only happen then and there. Getting that experience which only a hand full, well maybe a bit more then that, get. It use to be that only a handful of people could get a camera into a concert. Now EVERYBODY, well a lot of people have mobile phones that take pics. So there is a plethora of available memorabilia in the form of pics available on whatever social networking site you participate in. Back in the day those who took the pics had something that was somewhat unique to that show. And the folks that did that were completely immersed in getting the great photo, while the rest of us were there to see the show. And take home the memories of the show that only we, the ones that were there got to be a part of.

Look I love documentaries but I have learned that the photo or the video that I have so concentrated on isn't even close to when I have been in the moment of the performance and gotten to take home a story that I will remember until my brain becomes a liquefied ball of unrecognizable jelly.

I guess I am as equally mystified at somebody concentrating on how the Iphone Video will come out, then just enjoying being in the moment.
Besides there is nothing that compares to being there. I have taken millions of pictures around the world and when I look back at them it does those places no justice at all. It is only a reminder that I was actually there, nothing more....:D

But kids will be kids, in the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd centuries and beyond.

And greeks will be greeks and neo evangelists will be neo evangelists and rapists will be rapists...

The point is was or should have been to multi task an experience is to miss out. Something is sacrificed and to me that sacrifice especially staring at a puny screen while others are dancing and surfing above a mosh pit ain't worth it. The guy surfing may have a better argument to make, he would still lose, but his argument would be better.

We hold concerts and theatre productions at the blind school (where I work) all the time.

Yeah, it seems a bit pointless. I guess all the technology we are equiped with has increased this paranoia of loosing memories. People feel if they don't get some kind of visual memento from a gig then they will just forget it, so they lose trust in their mind's ability in favour of technology's.

I think most people do it without really thinking. Most of them never look at the pictures/videos again. It's a problem with our reliance on technology, everything is condensed down into these little cards or hidden in a virtual piles and scattered in different digital storage places, and there's so much of it that people forget about it and it get's lost forever.

In many way's everything is so documented, yet so little of it will ever see the light of day again. The number of emails, photos that pile up never to be seen again. Sure there's more of them now, but people don't value things. It's just a temporary memory jolt. When they get a new phone, new computer, or the computer crashes it's gone forever.

In my ever humble opinion, anyway.

humble opinions are for pussies.

and (rock) shows are no longer about the music, they are about the spectacle; pyrotechnics, etc; so your point about James Brown, et al, aren't really relevant today.

and the surfing (mosh pit thing), come on. yeah, that's watching the show.

the kids are allright.

I think you just have to accept some people are morons tbh ;)
:rolleyes: Recording part of a concert, or anything that you wish to recall later, does not make you a moron. Going to an event to ridicule those who do is far more moronic.

I think most people do it without really thinking. Most of them never look at the pictures/videos again. It's a problem with our reliance on technology, everything is condensed down into these little cards or hidden in a virtual piles and scattered in different digital storage places, and there's so much of it that people forget about it and it get's lost forever.
Every recording I've made is archived on my computer. Whether it's from a phone or a digital camera. You guys sure are looking into this, huh. It's simple really...you're at a concert and you have a recording device. The band does something special that gets everyone cheering and you press a button to save the moment. Of course the memory is better than the recording, but it doesn't take away from the moment to simply hold a small gadget up and record. I mentioned that I feel like somewhat of an idiot, holding the phone up, but that could be because I have a drink in the other hand. Not because the action itself makes me an idiot.

The point is was or should have been to multi task an experience is to miss out. Something is sacrificed and to me that sacrifice especially staring at a puny screen while others are dancing and surfing above a mosh pit ain't worth it. The guy surfing may have a better argument to make, he would still lose, but his argument would be better.
At the end of one concert I enjoyed thoroughly, the two acts gathered together at the lip of the stage to interact and thank the spectators. They summoned two acoustic guitars, sat on the floor, and played multiple songs into the night. Everyone in attendance left their seats and migrated to the front, it was a real, real special ending to a lively concert. I feel no shame in recording such ending. I've never put these videos on youtube, but everyone who sees them, shivers with goosebumps. The woman I was with recorded her own, and she shows them to her friends whenever the subject comes up. I see nothing wrong with this, but that's just me....we both enjoyed the special encore, held hands and kissed. It was quite a long acoustic set. We mingled with other people, while the two guitars played away. Recording some songs did NOT make the moment any less special.

Someone brought up the Grateful Dead...Fans used to record their shows all the time... You all make it seem like recording live shows is something that my generation foolishly came up with and that we are now sacrificing the whole concert experience to use a gadget. :) That's ridiculous.

Recording part of a concert, or anything that you wish to recall later, does not make you a moron. Going to an event to ridicule those who do is far more moronic.

I agree-but no one did that.
Next time you want to sling words make sure they're directed to the correct person asshole-see thats directed at you. The process works pretty well.

And HM re surfing if you re read i said surfing isn't watching the show but it is a damn site better than being one of those cycloptiphone assholes-yup process works real well

Next time you want to sling words make sure they're directed to the correct person asshole-see thats directed at you. The process works pretty well.

And HM re surfing if you re read i said surfing isn't watching the show but it is a damn site better than being one of those cycloptiphone assholes-yup process works real well
You take yourself and your lackluster wit way too serious, man. Just keep ridiculing "kids" who record concerts, moron. I'm done with this self-righteous thread.

I just put on my superpussy rubber suit with a tolerance all over print.
The point of this discussion is very stretchable - Pogo, moshing, slamdancing, stagediving, crowdsurfing or even headwalking, what do you see but bodies of those who are going nuts just like you?
And that's great if you want the pit.
You could as well sit at the bar and watch the band play, it's a personal choice how you want to experience a live gig.
What's so wrong with recording a gig on whatever medium?
I wouldn't because I want to breathe the energy coming from the stage, to me it's a very physical experience wether I'm in the mood for dancing or prefer to stand around and see the concert.
But I was glad to find The Feeding Of The 5000 in 2007 on utube because I couldn't be there. At least I can watch parts of that event because there was moron with a camera.

Peace.

Hey, Jimmy Snerp. My bad. I misread what you wrote.

But I still feel it's just a change in technology, nothing more. It's been done before, and it will change again.

That's all...

Pax

and (rock) shows are no longer about the music, they are about the spectacle; pyrotechnics, etc; so your point about James Brown, et al, aren't really relevant today.
So you're saying that people do say they "heard" a James Brown concert rather than "saw" it?

Or are you saying that your frame of reference for rock music was cut off somewhere in the 1980's? (Pyrotechnics? Really? Who still uses those? Is KISS re-uniting again?)

Or are you just saying that you don't really understand what I said, but figured you'd type something just to disagree?

Has to be one of those three. I lean toward the latter in your case.

So you're saying that people do say they "heard" a James Brown concert rather than "saw" it?

Or are you saying that your frame of reference for rock music was cut off somewhere in the 1980's? (Pyrotechnics? Really? Who still uses those? Is KISS re-uniting again?)

Or are you just saying that you don't really understand what I said, but figured you'd type something just to disagree?

Has to be one of those three. I lean toward the latter in your case.
Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote either/prior; and there's a degree of reciprocity humping.

To answer your queries: Have never seen a James Brown concert. Damn. Wish I had. But I bet there are people who say, "I've heard Bukowski read live; AND, I've seen Bukowski read live." But that's just having some fun with words, right?

As for pyrotechnics, you're kidding? They recently wrote about the pyrotechnics in a show here at the St. Pete Times forum (20,000 or so seats, indoor) that were allegedly amazing. So what do you mean? They didn't stop pyrotechnics after the unfortunate Great White indoor accident. I think they even used them at the Super Bowl, Bruce. Come on, Kiss? Dude, you're better than that. At least say, like Def Lepard or some other glam band from the '80s, '90s.

As far as understanding what you say, well, that's debatable. But not really my point. My point is that the kids are allright (typo on purpose). And technology will forever change how we do things. If you were alive in the early days of the car, would you bitch about people not riding horse and buggies? It's not pure anymore; people can't feel the harrumph of a horse when it kicks into gear, etc. Times change. And I know you embrace that. Hell, what have you created here? A 21st-century diary we can all write in and read. What's the matter, no more ink in the pen? Did we run out of paper? Or are you just being green? ;)

But kids will be kids, in the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd centuries and beyond.

And greeks will be greeks and neo evangelists will be neo evangelists and rapists will be rapists...

We hold concerts and theatre productions at the blind school (where I work) all the time.

I didn't want to omit the rest of this post, because it is brilliant. I did highlight the last sentence because it lends some serious credibility to where Jimmy Snerp is coming from and that is truly above and beyond most of the people who don't get his point. It's funny when people get passionate about something they misunderstood. I know I do it all of the time too.

Yeah I feel the same way when I watch that moon landing-almost like being there.

Oh my, it's not at all like being there... no need to explain that. But to me it's better than witnessing nothing. Were you where the news happened? Or living with the Inca? One is experience and the other is information. Maybe I'll go visit an ancient place of worship one day because I was informed by books, magazines, fotos and films leading me to make that experience. Same thing can happen to you when you discover a band because somebody shows you a video he/she took from that band's gig. You're like Wow I got to see them live.
Don't tell me you know every underground band already. Technology has opened every door for sharing ( and hiding ) information on all thinkable topics and can be used properly. It's up to us.

I take your advice, chronic. I typed my opinions and it's 00:30 am here.
Let's see, I have some haldol, paroxat, risperdal and rohhypnol. That should give a kick ass movie theatre in my head projected by my pineal gland.
Good night. :)

I'm reminded of Ruskin...

"The greatest thing a human soul ever does in this world is to see something and tell what it saw in a plain way. Hundreds of people can talk for one who can think, but thousands can think for one who can see. To see clearly is poetry, prophecy and religion, all in one."

...and one does not see clearly through a mobile phone camera. The essence is altered, filtered... essentially lost.
What's left is a poor recording of what others experienced. And not even that.

:rolleyes: Recording part of a concert, or anything that you wish to recall later, does not make you a moron. Going to an event to ridicule those who do is far more moronic.
I thought the wink at the end would indicate my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I was joking but it's not something I would do personally because I think you're in danger of missing the experience in order to remember it. Same goes for people who record hours and hours of footage of their holidays and so on. Obviously it's nice to have a memento. What I was really getting at though is that you have to accept people get different things out of being there so you should just accept it and not worry about it too much. Just have fun in your own way, like they are. It's not like either of you are harming each other, is it?

not harming, but yes, it is pretty annoying to have people around you with their cell phones out, holding them up and looking through them. it is to me anyway. same as in a school setting, with people plinking away on their laptops and texting under their desks when i'm trying to pay attention to the prof....

damn kids and their technology! ;)

but, i'm annoyed by most everyone as soon as i leave my house anyway...

People have hugged me, slapped me on the back, in the face, pissed me off and kicked my ass too...but I haven't run into the annoyers. Maybe I just ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back