Len Fulton (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Hi,
I just heard from A.D. Winans that Len Fulton, who ran Small Press Review and Dust Books has died. He devoted 40+ years to the small press.

Bill

Len Fulton published The Small Press Review and other publications from his Dust Books for almost fifty years, since the early sixties in El Cerrito, California. He moved to Paradise [its in California, w/ a zip code & everything] and continued SPR as a print publication with well over four hundred issues until 2008 when it became strictly on-line.

Len published many reviews of Charles Bukowski's work over the years, plus articles and checklists by people such as Sany Dorbin, and, of course, Bukowski poetry. One of the founders of COSMEP in 1968, Len was actively involved in publishing up until the end, with his newest publications scheduled for release in August and September of this year. Great documentation of the Small Press since 1964.
http://www.dustbooks.com/

I used his annual small press listing in the early days. That guide for writers, and finding ads or listings in other small press periodicals, was the only way you learned about new places to submit if you were a small press poet. I think I still have the second and third issues here somewhere, and one of them has a ad for an early Bukowski chapbook for $1. Fulton's annuals were reliable and he obviously put a lot of hard work into compiling them. The guy was a trooper, doing the dirty work for everyone's benefit. RIP, Len Fulton, and thanks.

I think I still have the second and third issues here somewhere, and one of them has a ad for an early Bukowski chapbook for $1.

I have the first 5 or 6 issues and they're always fun reading and will continue to be valuable references...

His annual guides were called the "Directory of Little Magazines and Small Presses." Later it became the "International Directory ... etc."

They'll always be of interest, just for the history. You can see how things worked before the Web in publications like these. It was slow. Write off for guidelines, maybe get them a month later, submit poems, wait months for a yes or no, then wait a year or more for publication. Snail slow, which ain't all bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back