Linda Lee Bukowskeeeee (2 Viewers)

B

BicycleTragedy

Does anyone have any thoughts on her? I'll be the first to admit I don't know a hell of a lot about her, only what I've seen on film in the Buk Tapes and Born Into This, and her little chime-ins on the Run With the Hunted disc, and what is written about her "Sarah" persona in Women and Hollywood.

I have mixed feelings about my impressions of her, but nothing substantial, just kind of curious in general as to what some of you more seasoned Buk followers know or think about this person.

Or, perhaps to ask the question from a less gossipy angle; what was it about her that you think clicked with Bukowski after so many others did not?

We aren't supposed to make a big deal about her...out of respect. She is a quiet icon to be regarded with reverence and awe. I think we pretty much aren't allowed to look into her eyes or look at her at all. So you might wake up tomorrow morning and find that you have grown a tail and your ears will be longer. That's a shame.

she once sent an unknown stranger who was sick at the time a care package full of rare bukowski goodies, so she's A OK in my book...

I think she has a lot of class. Most widows of famous men would be milking it for publicity. She seems to avoid the limelight. Seems intelligent, knows her own mind, thinks for herself -- just what I pick up from what I've read. What might have appealed to Bukowski is that she didn't treat him like a rock star. As much as he enjoyed that from other women, he seems to have tired of it.

She sounds like a bitch - but in a positive way. Women like that get things done, and take care their man and household. Without the strong woman like her, probably all the funds would be grossly mismanaged - and Bukowski wouldn't live as long.

There are no rules around discussing Linda, but if someone is looking for dirt, there isn't much.

The only thing related to her that we censor or protect is her home address and contact information. There's no point in putting that out there because there's no point in knocking on her door uninvited, emailing her or sending her a package with your interpretations of Bukowski's work expressed in welded sheet metal or blown glass.

In Hollywood you get a sense of her being someone who looked after Buk and really cared about his well-being. However she did so from the position of an equal rather than as a sort of servant and you tell he respected her. She also seemed to share his sense of humour as well as being able to spot a twat a mile off in much the same way Buk could. I suppose some people just click but it probably also had a lot to do with them getting together at the right point in Buk's life, i.e. when he was a little more content, becoming wealthier and perhaps just looking to settle down with the right woman instead of the nutters he'd gone for before that.

There are no rules around discussing Linda, but if someone is looking for dirt, there isn't much.

The only thing related to her that we censor or protect is her home address and contact information. There's no point in putting that out there because there's no point in knocking on her door uninvited, emailing her or sending her a package with your interpretations of Bukowski's work expressed in welded sheet metal or blown glass.

I enjoy reading her interviews. Can't be easy living in a shadow. Bukowski was lucky to have met her. She was his "classy broad." Thanks, mjp, for keeping underwraps the address/contact info. Much respect for that.

How does she live in Buk's shadow? I can see her living with his shadow. But in it?

To say she's living in his shadow implies, to me, that their relationship was about competing with, rather than complementing, each other.

No disrespect to Linda but who approaches her to get her thoughts on Sarah Palin? They, of course, want to talk Buk, Buk, Buk. And i believe she handles it graciously. No harm meant. But would she have married the "Ham on Rye," Bukowski? The "Factotum" Bukowski? The "Post Office".... Again, perhaps not fair, but she hitched her wagon, so to speak - what pulled it cast a damn good size shadow.

Okay. But that only goes to show that she wants to be in his shadow. Like it's a comforter of sorts. The way you phrased it before made me think she might have trouble being in his shadow. When it's probably where she wanted to be all along.

Being a health-nik, she may have added 10 years to Buk's life... apparently, she got him off the hard stuff, the processed junk food, and enlightened him about the benefits of vitamins, healthy fare and fine wines over Jack Daniels. I doubt whether he would have made it into the computer era (which he became avid about and prodigiously productive) had it not been for her unstinting love, encouragement and earth-mother-like, grounded support... She has the practicality of a good brain as well as beauty and I doubt that Bukowski would have ever experienced the rejuvenating benefits of meditation without her influence (regardless of anyone else's view on the practice). Evidently, according to Born into This, Bukowski took to its practice toward the end of his life and it may have extended it... She was a giver rather than an emotionally exhausting drainer, so unlike the females he was attracting during the period when he was writing Women, and they lived together in some semblance of the equality she'd fought for. I doubt if one could put a price on what she did for him, whether he ever loved her like he did Jane or not or like when he was obsessed with Linda King. I'd say he needed more and found more after the quirky uncertainty of the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the word "bitch" be really understood in a positive way ? :confused:

"Bitch" can absolutely be regarded in a positive way when discussing women. A bitch can be acceptable to a man in a loving relationship. A bitch will chew you out but will later make it up to you by kissing the bite marks and making it all better. A cunt, on the other hand, will chew you up and spit you out. The spittle they'll grind under heel and then swipe it up to do all over again. Some men confuse bitch with cunt, to their loss - one it's commitment, the other control.

Also, I might add Bukowski seemed to realize this in his tale of the two Lindas.

In her younger years she was a drunk, foul mouthed pig, but she had as much of a need for a home and cat as he did. Also, she knew how to deal with his bullshit while tormenting the hell out of him with her own. True love, you see.

If Mr. Lane means Linda king, he also has no idea who he is talking about.
For now Mr. Lane seems to be a foul mouthed pig.

When people want to be condescending they often refer to the other person/persons as Mr./Mrs.. I've noticed.
Now, is Mr. Lane referring to Mrs. Bukowski or Mrs. King? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back