• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Manuscript - Classic Buk (1 Viewer)

That price is actually not high. I sold about half a dozen early/mid 70's poems for $1200 to $1600 each a few years ago, and saw one sell for over $5,000. And the only unusual thing about that one was that it was on blue paper!

The prices have come back down to earth somewhat recently. They are still a lot higher than where they were in the late 90's through 2000, 2001, but I think the $500 range is a fair price for a good poem manuscript from the 1970's. They are certainly worth more than the $75 -$150 they used to sell for.

That's a nice one and the price... not as much as I've seen some go for at some places (Powell's had a couple in the $1000-2000 range as recently as 6 months ago). Looks nice too.

Hmmm...I haven't paid too much attention to manuscript prices; it just seemed a bit high to me in comparison to a signed book. Anyway, I've bought from this seller a couple of times and he's a reputable and helpful guy, so I wasn't questioning his listed price so much as the overall market prices for manuscripts in general.

what would you cats think is a proper price for a manuscript of 'The SHOELACE', two pages, signed, with a drawing, two or three handmade corrections in the text?

Phew. That's a classic. Is it a dated MS?

This brings up an interesting point, and that is there never seems (or seemed, in the past) to be any rhyme or reason to which manuscripts sell for more. I always though a strong poem or an older poem (or in Roni's case a classic poem) would sell for a premium, but that is rarely the case. I never could figure out what made people go after certain manuscripts.

Especially the computer printouts. To me that's more of an autographed piece of paper than a manuscript. "Wow, this came from Bukowski's printer!" I have listed early 70's carbons on eBay and watched computer printouts listed at the same time sell for more, and it always baffled me.

But for a carbon of the well-known the shoelace - that would have to be 1970 or '71? - in this market with fewer manuscripts available, I'd be surprised if you didn't get $1500 for it (if you can't, don't sell it). I would think any manuscript from that era should fetch that. But then again, things are strange these days.

... I'd be surprised if you didn't get $1500 for it (if you can't, don't sell it).

it's not me who owns it. but you might guess who does.
he sure wouldn't part with it for less than something over a grand. but we had no specific idea about the worth.
i wish i could afford it. it's nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back