Masked & Anonymous (1 Viewer)

Erik

If u don't know the poetry u don't know Bukowski
Founding member
Just saw this Dylan-movie, the other night, and was struck by many similarities to things Buk wrote. Example: "I'm more impressed by a crack in the cement than I am by any human being." Also the animal caretaker's musings on how all animals are more real than any human, reminds me of the scene in Barfly with the barking dog in the car. Also: "Life is like a taxi. The meter keeps running even when you're standing still."

Also Chris Penn says in the xtras that he's known Bob since he was little; does this go for Sean Penn as well? Maybe he just means Bob's songs.

Also also: the whole film was shot in LA with some striking scenes from downtown LA -- much stronger than anything in either Barfly or Factotum...

Also finally: Dylan looks older BUT he still walks in that stilted awkward way he did in his 20s...:D

Also PS: well wourth seeing, this film.

I'm more impressed by a crack in the cement than I am by any human being

This sort of attitude freaks me out.

Bukowski predominantly writes out OTHER POEPLE, the SMALL PEOPLE, the COMMON FOLK, the REFUGEES. Of course: his assesment of human beings is scathing and on the whole negative. But they seem to be his central focus rather than 'cracks in the cement'.

The whole anti=people attitude is rife. People loath other people yet we can't seem to live without each other. I think most of these poets and lumaniries love man more than they may care to admit.

I find people fasinating.
But sure an animal has more mystery
and more spirit more often than not
beause it has no voice
and is not bound by human mind

I liked this film a lot and will definitely watch it again. The musical side was toned down though, maybe thats what I liked about it (and what fans disliked?). Didn't Dylan himself co-write the script?

Including all those foreign-language versions of his songs was also, uh, surprising. A lot of twists like that in the film. Think I'll see it again soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back