Moyamensing Prison (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Hi,
Here are some photos of the prison where Bukowski reportedly spent some. It was torn down in 1963 and now houses a dunkin Donuts and Ritas water ice.

There are surprisingly few photos of this place.

moya1.jpg

moya2.jpg

moya3.jpg

moya4.jpg

Bill

Rita's Water Ice is a Philly area thing. Water ice is like melted Italian Ice, if that makes sense. It is also like a slurpie (or slushie).

Bill

It's funny that you posted those, I came across the same pics just last week and tucked them away for some future use.

Up The River

Notice the peeling white (lead based) paint.... That place would have been a dangerous demo site.
Looks to me like the remnants of the "ticker-tape" thrown during Bukowski's triumphal 'release parade'.

I always thought that 'Moyamensing' was a clever euphemism for 'Sing-Sing', even though they're in different states. And isn't 'Sing-Sing' a sort of pun on Ossining. Or something.

I always thought that 'Moyamensing' was a clever euphemism for 'Sing-Sing', even though they're in different states. And isn't 'Sing-Sing' a sort of pun on Ossining. Or something.

I think you're right. "Sing-Sing" was a nickname or derivation of a Native American word as I remember. I would suspect that Moyamensing qualifies.

Terrific photos.

Cool photos, Bill. Reminds me of a tour I took of Alcatraz. Very interesting place, worth catching if you go to San Francisco. I heard there's talk of tearing Alcatraz down. That would be stupid. In addition to being a classic prision, it's a civil war fort and a historical site. But you know how that goes. Maybe they'll build condos or a huge mall there.

Is it in Marin County or S.F. County? If it's in Marin then it'll become the Sri Chinmoy Performing Arts Center. If it's SF it will become Harvey Milk Memorial Hall.

I think that there is too much draw and money to do anything but preserve it. How many visitors do they have every year? Certainly more than they would have as a mall or performing arts center....

Bill

I saw a Yahoo news headline about Alcatraz being in peril but was too busy to read the article. There are many visitors -- it's a popular destination. The place is rich in history, multiple layers of it, as a civil war fort, then a prison, then, once it was abandoned in the 60s, a site of a long Native American protest occupation. My great (or great-great) grandfather, a civil war soldier, was injured moving a canon there, got on military disability pension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back