Non stumbling late introducer (1 Viewer)

I joined the site a couple months ago, and am pleased to have found a home. Did not stumble onto site, however.

After the end of classes in April 1998 while playing hooky from a construction job that was supposed to start a week early, I read a heisted copy Factotum while driving over the Rocky Mountains from Alberta into British Columbia. I immediately lost all feeling need to work again, ever. Thankfully, it has never come back and has been replaced by the need to bet on Fairgrounds and Hollywood, and to drive cars with headlights that don't turn on until you drive over a bump.

I live on a Caribbean island, so it gets slow sometimes. In January I started buying old/signed/other Buk books, and it's a lot of fun. I really like the help a person can get in the "What's my X worth" or "Is this real" threads in the forum.

There it is!

You do. You were kind enough to sell me a couple Buks a couple months ago. Good stuff!

I live in the Cayman Islands. The beer is relatively expensive here but it still tastes good.

Welcome, NellyGCM.
One question: do you in the Caribbean have preservation problems with damp and pests in books? I know that in Spain there is a definite problem with deterioation of paper in that climate.
Congratulations on living in a philateletically obscure part of the world.
Joseph K.

Welcome, NellyGCM.
One question: do you in the Caribbean have preservation problems with damp and pests in books? I know that in Spain there is a definite problem with deterioation of paper in that climate.
Congratulations on living in a philateletically obscure part of the world.
Joseph K.

I haven't completely resolved for myself whether I am completely ok with keeping the best ones here in Cayman for the humidity issue. Bugs don't bother me too much.

As a first safety measure, my aircon is blasting 24/7, resulting in a dry home (and a huge electricity bill - electricity is generated at the plant by burning diesel). Also, I keep things in a fireproof safe with silica gel bags.

The post office here still smells like stamps. I like it.

And thank you for the welcome message.

Welcome! What is the Zentai scene like in the Cayman Islands? Do you accept visitors?
Thanks Steve,

I think you and I have crossed paths before. I'm 'Steve in Cayman', who now holds a double-Buk-signed copy of a Montfort/Bukowski photo book....

The closest thing to Zentai is scuba wetsuits (diving is huge here), and somehow I can't help but think about how they're related.

Guests with cold beer are always welcome!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back