note for my wall (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
This one was dumbed down with cliche and made pedestrian in Slouching Toward Nirvana. I'm using comic sans for Martin's version to give it the respect it deserves.

note-for-my-wall.jpg

I don't know where to start, but there's a huge difference between a new trap and a new home. A trap is a negative thing while a home is a positive thing. Martin changes the ending of the poem completely. Now, where did I put my tranquilizers? :mad:

Actually not one fucking sentence in the whole poem is unmolested. And "web of desire" is really bad.

It's depressing.

I saw The Continual Condition on the shelf at a record store the other day and just shook my head. I cringe when I see that stuff in the stores.

I do. Martin's work is not that. The editing for F. Scott Fitzgerald & Raymond Carver? That I appreciate.

At this point i just shake my head. At the 4:11 point he speaks of editing and...fuck. Steve Inskeep (i need an editor. I forget how to spell his name.) seems like a reasonable enough NPR guy. I've heard many of his pieces and liked them. What would it take to have a piece, 12 years later, to evaluate what actually happened to Buk's work post-death? Imagine mjp discussing the poems doing side by side comparisons. And i'm sure it's been discussed here before but on the reals? Why hasnt Linda spoken up? Money is the first thing that comes to mind. Is it truly that basic?

".....a few times I would step in like that and make a change and every time later I saw what I had done was not as good as what I changed---every time."
If that is true, it might explain why he made changes with increasing frequency: In trying to improve Bukowski's poetry he realized that he would never make it, but because he refused to believe it with every new posthumous collection he tried even harder.

Last edited:
Funny, Martin never considered people would find about about his editing eventually, or maybe he just did´nt care since only the hardcore fans would notice it - for starters.

"the ego gets caught
in a web of desire
the ego creates that strange mirage,
love."

I'm starting to believe that JM left Buk's words over the table and his bullied nephew took a swing on the poems.
in a web of desire is a joke, and this line changes the whole verse. that strange mirage, oh dear.

I once wrote a poem around 3rd ou 4th grade about my cousin's fucked up knee. I'm pretty sure I didn't write nothing like in a web of desire. I believe you Darmochwal gave too much credit indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back