Nova Scotia (1 Viewer)

hi my name is Paul Sempschi, I hail from Nova Scotia. Currently going from shit job to shit job, English student drop out and all that. I love Bukowski's writing, I got into him through reading Henry Miller and I must say Buk's better- Miller goes into this kind of pot head philosophy while Buk gets to the point, I like that. Same thing that makes Hemingway appeal to me actually. I'm also into Burroughs, Kerouac, Doestoyevski, Mingus, Prokofiev, Zappa, Dolphy, Captain Beefheart, Sam Beckett and Jim Joyce.
I dont do much to any writing. Frankly, it disgusts me to do such an act. However I am friends with lots of local writers, some of them are even good! One of them, Mr. O'Brien, I am editor for. We have edited two books and a collection of short stories called "The Cock Sucking Skull Fucker Blues"- which was so good, we got excited and started up a xerox publishing ordeal and put the pig out there. The book managed to garner a couple good reviews in a local and a provincial newspaper and everyone who read it, seemed to find it very funny. The only thing was that no store would stock it and no other "serious" writer would have anything to do with us- complete rejection from the indie community, very disgusting!
Other than this, I have been a fan of Bukowski's work since I was in high school (c. 1998) but have not really bothere/been able to really go into much study about the man's work, I hope to rectify this in the New Year. Right this second, I am just finishing "Childhood's End" by Clarke, starting "More Pricks Than Kicks" by Beckett and rerereading "Love is A Dog From Hell"- if you want to know more about O'Brien's book, you can contact him and us through

[email protected]

welcome to a fellow nova scotian and mingus and dolphy and beckett fan. tho I do like miller. ah well, welcome anyway...

I have heard that the only things to do in Nova Scotia are drink, screw and read, that is if you don't like fishing. True? If so, there must be some buks or buk want to be's running around up there - like that is his type of place (mine too).

Last edited by a moderator:
well, it depends on where you live in nova scotia. if it's my house, yes.

I have heard that the only things to do in Nova Scotia are drink, screw and read, that is if you don't like fishing. True? If so, there must be some buks or buk want to be's running around up there - like that is his type of place (mine too).

You've heard right, haha! Albeit, reading is strictly reserved for the literate, haha! Not too many Buk wannabes around, a lot of Kerouac knock-offs though. Glad to hear that there's another Buk fan from the Maritimes out there as well!
I didnt mean to have it come off like I dont like Henry Miller, I do dig his prose, just not the poesy pot-head philosopher stuff. I just like the stories pure and simple.

I was in Nova Scotia for a couple of weeks once and I really liked it. But then I like cold, remote places.

It seemed like there was a lot going on. At least when we went to Halifax. But most of the time I was in Shelburne, and yeah, it was a little quiet there. Had fun bowling on those crazy little alleys with the wooden balls though...

yeah, Shelburne is a pretty town, but very very quiet.
Halifax is a great small city. pardon the bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back