Novels that drop Buks name posthomously (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
Yeah, I'm reading a 'new' book that just mentioned our man
And it kind of started mixed feelings.
Anyway,
So thought I'd start this thread....

Los Angeles by Peter Moore Smith
page 160 ->

"Farther over, on the backstreets of West Hollywood, people shopped for groceries and sex, they drank in bars, living out their Charles Bukowski lives in miniature, everyone a low-level, polite transgressive."

And this author is from NYC so...
That got me thinking too much too->
Is Buk really becoming more widely read/taught and accepted (Mr Peter Moore Smith has actually heard of and/or respects him)
Or is Buk just becoming a name synonymous with a life-style that this author's agent suggested -you best mention- if you're writing about LA.

BTW-> decent book so far... some real nice lines (and even paragraphs) here and there but basically very plot driven and there's nothing wrong with that.

So who will start the cousin of this thread?,
(the Yin to my Yang :) ) ->
Novels that drop Buks name pre 1994. (prehomously ?!)

Ok, getting too deep here,
But is this much of a gamble?->
I bet pre-death Buk refrences are more idolizing/familiar-with oriented,
and the post-death refrences are more geared to authenticating the author as hip.

Ha Ha ha, editing this and re-reading it, I had to pour me some merlot then looking at this book (making sure I got the refrenced Buk quote right) a drop fell on the page, 1/2 a line away from Buk's printed name. Too funny,
Our man is still thirsty and getting it!

Ok, so back on track,
Anyone else coming across his name in modern novels?
I'd love to read the line...

Zoom

ok, zoom, I'll add to the 'prehumously' novels:

Heywood Gould: 'Cocktail' (1984)
in my copy by Grafton Books from 1989, it's on p. 190 -

"...
The bar was strewn with copies of the magazine. There was a banner over the mirror, draped over the stuffed whale. The Iron of Free Expression, Support the Brooklyn Bridge.
There was that old feeling of excitement that you felt in a theater before the curtain went up. Books of poetry - Bukowski, Creeley, Walt Whitman - were conspicuously displayed.
I had stepped into a style warp. Once born a style never dies. After its fifteen minutes of eminence it prowls the night of culture seeking likely victims.
..."

Anyone else coming across his name in modern novels?
How about,
new publications, too?

I've got the new Radar mag,
and in a 4 page ad insert for Ray-Ban sunglasses
Titled 'A Compendum of Cool'
they list 3 big cities
'that never pretend, never give up, never hide',
with 9+ quintessential citations supporting each cities 'cool' factor

And LA is the 3rd city,
And Buk is the 1st entry->

"Charles Bukowski aka the Hunchback Poet of Hollywood, said of LA
'You can get isolation here,
or you can have a party.'
Not sure what his idea of a party was, but his idea of a date was to take girlfriends to the Hollywood Forever Cemetary, a drop dead gorgeous plot of land. (6000 Santa Monica Blvd.)"

I think that's cool,
Though I know nothing about the quote or its authenticity
:cool:

(the other 2 cities, btw, are NYC and Chicago,.... and I can't argue with that)

"Charles Bukowski aka the Hunchback Poet of Hollywood"

I know that there was a bio that referenced this in their title, but was he really ever referred to as "The Hunchback Poet?" It seems odd. I mean,for starters, he was not a hunchback....

I'm bored at work and there is 20 minutes to go... Sorry for the post.

Bill

Bill -- I don't think so. I never heard the "hunchback" thing before the book came along with that in the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back