Old books/collections Turned into New Books? (1 Viewer)

nervas

more crickets than friends
Hello all.

So going through the checklist on here I see there will just be some books I'll never find, or better yet afford. However since so many of the books available now, are collections of older books put together, maybe I will get to at least read most.

My question is this. If a book like "South Of North" collects (All The Assholes In the World and Mine, and Confessions of A Man Insane Enough To Live With Beasts) how would I have known that except for chancing upon it here on the forum?

Are there certain editions of "South Of North" that say "This is a collection of these two older out of print books..."

Is there a place I can find that would tell me what more recently published books are comprised of?

thanks in advance for the help.

If you love reading Buk, but are not a collector, then any book that is in print by Ecco will get you a long way. Sure, you may not get EVERYTHING (I think that there are two poems in "Flower Fist" that are not reprinted in any book, for example), but if your plan is to read every poem and every story by Buk, then you will have a challenge as many, many poems appeared in little magazines with circulations of a couple hundred copies and did not appear again.

There is no listing on the books that tell you what book they originally came from, but rest assured that you can get most of the early chapbook poems and stories by getting the Ecco or Black Sparrow editions.

Bill

So would you say then when someone quotes that "South Of North" is a collection of something else, it's on their knowledge that these poems/short stories were previously in another collection?

I have a ton of BSP and Ecco books, but never can seem to figure out if what I'm reading was published in a prior book that I don't have.

The copyright page lists these as having been previously published and where... at least in a first printing BSP edition. They might have changed that in Ecco editions.

[...] how would I have known that except for chancing upon it here on the forum? [...] Is there a place I can find that would tell me [...]

you probably would not have known.
That's why you're here.
It's the place to find out about such things; the place to be.
[...] The place is here. You already got there. congrats!

My ECCO edition of Burning In Water Drowning In Flame does list the titles of books in which the poems were originaly published. CRB:)

So would you say then when someone quotes that "South Of North" is a collection of something else, it's on their knowledge that these poems/short stories were previously in another collection?
With very few exceptions, everything in the BSP/Ecco poetry and short story books appeared somewhere else first.

Go here. Click on All The Assholes In The World and Mine. Then click on the title again in the next page that comes up to see where it has appeared.

That only goes up to 2005, but it's handy in a charming, incomplete way.

Thank you.

All your postings are much appreciated and the works database will be priceless for me!

There is a new poetry anthology coming out next year (in the UK anyway) called 'The Pleasures of the Damned' containing poems selected by John Martin taken from all periods of his career. It'll be published by Canongate over here.

I'd be surprised if that isn't exactly the same (content wise) as the ecco one of the same name.

To add to the jist of this thread, I think with Abel's research a list of original appearances for just about everything in the collections could be made. A lot of that information could eventually make it in to the new database here, in which case the book content listings could (optionally) also list first appearances.

But it's a lot of data and there are grey areas, even when you know the magazine appearances. Titles changed, poems changed, pieces appear in more than one place before the collections...it's a challenge.

But conceivably, those kind of indexes could be made, and since the presentation is flexible, they could be reordered to list titles chronologically.

On a side note, the "new" database interface is being reworked to simplify and expand it. One of the stumbling blocks was trying to get complex methods to work on it. I created a lot of problems for myself by trying to be clever. But work continues and changes are currently being worked out.

I think if you look back you will see I was saying similar things a few years ago, so your skepticism is understandable. ;) My ambition is only handicapped by my laziness. As the kids say.

Years ago, there was a web page that listed which Bukowski collections reprinted what out of print chapbooks. I think it was somewhat official, possibly associated with Black Sparrow Press.

I don't think BSP would have ever bothered with something like that. I never saw it on their site, anyway. But then again I don't think I saw the site you're referring to either, so what do I know.

It would probably be relatively easy to do an index like that for the early chapbooks, because it's a small number of poems (you can make a list yourself using certain queries on the database). For the years that Bukowski was producing a lot of work, I don't think BSP dipped into that old-timey well very often. With the exception of Roominghouse Madrigals and Burning in Water.

If only someone would publish a comprehensive bibliography...but I can't imagine who would have the tenacity and drive to do such a thing...

My brain cells churned a bit and spit out "SURE" -- it (the list of what old books are in what new books)) may have been on the SURE magazine website. I could Google that but I'm about to sit down and watch the "Crazy Love" DVD which my wife found in the Amoeba store in Hollywood a couple weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back