pomo mofo! (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
I saw the Devil and Daniel Johnston and thought the movie was good but the guy's music seemed to me to be some ridiculous joke. I'm not trying to be a smartass either.
It's not a ridiculous joke, it's pomo! If you don't like it, you're just too old, maaaaan!

Great movie. Interesting guy. The Grey Gardens or R. Crumb's brother (either one) kind of interesting.

so that's pomo...
post·mod·ern
-adjective
1. The act of slouching around Silverlake or Highland Park in a plastic-mesh-backed "trucker's hat" and oversized sunglasses.
2. Standing outside a music club where a band is performing the music from 1980's video games on 16 note Casio keyboards, and remarking to anyone who will listen that their earlier work - before they went commercial - was much better.
3. Appearing to be tolerantly bemused when there is nothing vaguely bemusing within 100 yards.
4. Taking DVDs to the counter at Blockbuster and asking, "do you have these on Beta?"
5. Etc.

Alternate definition; digging things that are simply and obviously crappy on every level because you're so cool that you "get it," and besides, crap doesn't stick to you. You're too cool.

Last edited:
post·mod·ern
-adjective
1. The act of slouching around Silverlake or Highland Park in a plastic-mesh-backed "trucker's hat" and oversized sunglasses.
2. Standing outside a music club where a band is performing the music from 1980's video games on 16 note Casio keyboards, and remarking to anyone who will listen that their earlier work - before they went commercial - was much better.
3. Appearing to be tolerantly bemused when there is nothing vaguely bemusing within 100 yards.
4. Taking DVDs to the counter at Blockbuster and asking, "do you have these on Beta?"
5. Etc.

Alternate definition; digging things that are simply and obviously crappy on every level because you're so cool that you "get it," and besides, crap doesn't stick to you. You're too cool.

fuck. i wish i was this cool. oh, these pomo bands. It's a hard choice between Zelda rock and fake cowboy music on the weekends. but, hell, i've got fallout boy tribute bands as an alternative. I almost forgot.

Speaking of fake cowboys I just saw Midnight Cowboy a week ago. It was fairly good.

Last edited by a moderator:
post·mod·ern
-adjective

hah! you must've seen this movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
post·mod·ern
-adjective

hah! you must've seen this movie.
Chip Music! Ha ha ha ha ha - oh my.

I was envisioning something like nerds with $39 Casios recreating the music from video games, but this is good. At least they are making original music, just accessing the tone generators on those old games. I wanted to kill myself after hearing about 10 minutes of it, but that's neither here nor there. I'll watch the rest of that, it looks interesting. Thanks.

But yeah, using primitive sound gear has become quite pomo. A MOOG you could have bought for $100 (or someone would have paid you $100 to haul away) 15 years ago goes for ten grand now, and the old Japanese BOSS pedals sell for hundreds of bucks on eBay.

Nothing wrong with that either. I suppose that kind of circular trend in music, fashion and popular culture has become pretty predictable. I have a pile of old Japanese BOSS pedals myself, but that's just because I'm old.

A note to all you 20 year olds out there: save everything you ever own. Rent a warehouse if you have to. Don't throw anything away. In 20 years you'll make a fortune selling it to the kids that are being born today.

Last edited:
It's not a ridiculous joke, it's pomo! If you don't like it, you're just too old, maaaaan!

Great movie. Interesting guy. The Grey Gardens or R. Crumb's brother (either one) kind of interesting.

if he thinks that music's a ridiculous joke i wonder how Jandek would strike him...anyone see that documentary? that dude is psycho-pomo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back