Portions From a Wine-Stained Notebook (1 Viewer)

I got mine today.
It was in perfect condition.
Here's how I did it: I just ordered the hardcover edition at the local university book shop.
They, and City Lights, did the rest.
That's all. No extra postage, pre-payment or anything.
It was a gamble that paid of. :D

But hey! I notice you collectors are starting to get to me. The book was so tight and pristine when I opened the package that I thought "hmmm, maybe I should pack it away and buy a paperback for reading..."
Luckily I was able to shake of the Buknet-spell and am now enjoying every page.
Even managed to smudge the cover a bit without getting a nervous breakdown. I even think the it looks better now. :rolleyes:

Even managed to smudge the cover a bit without getting a nervous breakdown. I even think the it looks better now. :rolleyes:

Erik - you're banned!

Okay, strike one. :D

Thanks, Zoom! The review is not too bad.
There's a link to a review of Pleasures in the article too...

Last edited by a moderator:
i just bought my copy a few days ago in a bookstore. its paperback, which i actually prefer. i've never been very good at collecting things-not even comics or tattoos. i prefer paperbacks anyways. they're lighter and easier to take with you when you have to read at work or whatever.

i'm more curious to see what people actually think about the new collection. opinions and reactions. i haven't finished it all yet, myself, but so far i think its as good as any of Hank's other books. is there a seperate thread for reviews anywhere on here?

No there's not a separate thread for reviews, so go ahead and post your thoughts right here.

Actually

Actually, don't bother. These folks like to sniff bindings and dote over types of paper. Who cares about what's inside?

i know Hank wrote alot about sex, often times very graphically, but the story called "Workout" from Portions... i just read was FUCKING hot. just picturing the redhead and the black haired girl slapping each other, then kissing, the pulling hair, then slapping one another again, the getting naked....he outdid himself with that story. seriously guys, give it a good read. normally that shit doesn't arouse me, but this one was different.

i know Hank wrote alot about sex, often times very graphically, but the story called "Workout" from Portions... i just read was FUCKING hot. just picturing the redhead and the black haired girl slapping each other, then kissing, the pulling hair, then slapping one another again, the getting naked....he outdid himself with that story. seriously guys, give it a good read. normally that shit doesn't arouse me, but this one was different.

I uh... I don't know what you're talking about...

No, nothing...

OK yeah it was ridiculously hot. Good stuff Buk!

No, they'll sell out fast at that price! It's only a couple of bucks more than the paperback version cost!

I stumbled upon Portions hard cover for just $16.86!

That's a steal.
Given the fact, that the whole edition is sold out already at City-Lights, you should go grap it fast!

I got 100 copies here to put into the bukshop soon. But can't afford to make it That cheap! With shipping cost and duties and all that.

What they told me was, that after my order they had only 7 copies left. So I guessed these would be gone by now. Maybe they were just making it up to make me feel like I got them just in time. business, you know.

That's a steal.
Given the fact, that the whole edition is sold out already at City-Lights, you should go grap it fast!

I got 100 copies here to put into the bukshop soon. But can't afford to make it That cheap! With shipping cost and duties and all that.

I already have it. I bought it from City Lights when it came out - unfortunately, one could say. The shipping price was a bit steep.
Btw, who knows what the shipping price might be for the cheap hard covers? Still, the book would probably be cheaper inc. shipping, than at City Lights.

As for City Lights still selling the hard covers, maybe they made a second printing, or maybe their website needs to be up-dated if they told you they only have 7 copies left, or maybe they still have some of those 7 hard covers left...

It's $3.99 to the US. Not sure about international, but that's much cheaper than CL!

That's for sure! I don't remember how much exactly CL charged for US shipping, but CL charged $24.00 for international, and the book cost $18.20...

BTW, for your information the link to the LATimes review completely fried my PC when I opened it. I got an infinite series of windows opening on my browser. LATimes does MC Escher. Nice. Crashed my PC though. Yes, I know I should update my virus protection so it's probably my PC but just to warn you guys...

For anyone checking into this thread: the only interesting things said here were said by myself...and were deleted by some milquetoast administrator.

The people who run this site are deadset against anything that doesn't toe the line of collector talk or shitass poetry submissions or general asskiss. I understand why they don't tolerate "trolls"...but not everyone's a "troll". I've made points that, while negative, have meaning.

For any of the people who think I'm a "troll"... you can e-mail me at [email protected] and name the time and place (in Los Angeles) where you'd like to air your grievances. I'll be there.

Frankly, the people who run this sniveling nerd's club are sickening, and if Buk was alive, he'd be repulsed.

Go ahead and delete this now...

I've made points that, while negative, have meaning.

You haven't made any points at all. Baiting people isn't making a point, it's 'trolling'. Please think about the points you mean to make and try again.

Let me guess. You 'bon't try', right?

For anyone checking into this thread: the only interesting things said here were said by myself...and were deleted by some milquetoast administrator. [...] I understand why they don't tolerate "trolls"...but not everyone's a "troll". I've made points that, while negative, have meaning.
here are all of your posts:

Actually, don't bother. These folks like to sniff bindings and dote over types of paper. Who cares about what's inside?

Good job stalking me on the internet, faggot. My beer review was done for fun, and maybe it was a bit tongue in cheek- but I wouldn't expect someone like you to get that. You can't write, can't create, can't joke around. You can't do much but retrace the footsteps of an artist who's been dead for 14 years.

Hey man- I have a piece of toilet paper Buk wiped his ass on. You should start a thread about it.

Die

^You fucked your girlfriend. I get it
Yeah, it is. It's the only honesty you've seen or heard here. The rest of these creeps will kiss your ass...be your friend. Fuck them. Are you a writer, or a pen-pal? Think about that one.

Your poem was awful, and that's the truth. It was a free-verse letter to Penthouse Forum. Which is not a bad thing, but...yeah, it's a bad thing.

this post will be deleted before Dec 24 2008

so, nothing troll-like there? really?

For anyone checking into this thread: the only interesting things said here were said by myself...and were deleted by some milquetoast administrator.

The people who run this site are deadset against anything that doesn't toe the line of collector talk or shitass poetry submissions or general asskiss. I understand why they don't tolerate "trolls"...but not everyone's a "troll". I've made points that, while negative, have meaning.

For any of the people who think I'm a "troll"... you can e-mail me at [email protected] and name the time and place (in Los Angeles) where you'd like to air your grievances. I'll be there.

Frankly, the people who run this sniveling nerd's club are sickening, and if Buk was alive, he'd be repulsed.

Go ahead and delete this now...

This post reminds me of the 5 stages of grief. This could be called the 5 stages of the internet troll.

1) Insult people with short, vague insults.
2) Deny that you are a troll and say that your negative posts are constructive.
3) Insult the members for being weak (and in the case of Bukowski.net, say that Buk would hate us).
4) Threaten to fight members (This one rarely happens as most trolls are very brave when they are anonymous, but cowards in person.)
5) Tell us to remove your posts, thereby guaranteeing that they stay up forever.

Just like the 5 stages of grief, they do not always happen in order or at all, but I'll be damned if they are not normally pretty classic and boring.

Bill

I am currently enjoying it, my first Buk book in English. Though I have the feeling of having already read most of these stories. Buk and his repetitiveness. :D

I am a bit puzzled by his harsh words on the little magazines in the piece untitled Upon the mathematics of the breath. He who owed them a lot... an umpteenth provocation, I assume.

I am a bit puzzled by his harsh words on the little magazines in the piece untitled Upon the mathematics of the breath. He who owed them a lot... an umpteenth provocation, I assume.

When -and if- I get my dissertation published, you'll see this is not as puzzling as you'd think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back