• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Portrait painting of Charles Bukowski | 60cm x 90cm | oils on canvas (1 Viewer)

Charles_Bukowski_FB.jpg

Charles Bukowski, a painting by David Hardy for sale
£1000.00 or $1573.00 inc VAT, excludes Shipping. Call +44 (0)7910452579 to discuss with the artist. Also see http://davidhardyart.co.uk

Thank you.

Sorry Ponder, but they are BOTH great paintings. David's painting is very good. I personally prefer the watercolor too, but I can not deny that David's work is very good. I wouldn't say he did not capture Buk's soul. I see it in the eyes in his painting. Very well done David. I wish you the best in your career.

David, You may be getting resistance because you came into the forums only to pitch your painting and not to discuss Bukowski. That's not very well liked around here. Maybe you'd like to stick around and become part of the fold since you're a fan.

Sorry Ponder, but they are BOTH great paintings. David's painting is very good. I personally prefer the watercolor too, but I can not deny that David's work is very good. I wouldn't say he did not capture Buk's soul. I see it in the eyes in his painting. Very well done David. I wish you the best in your career.
I think ponder just wanted to 'slag me off' as many did about bukowski . I'm just a man who has been through the mill and wants to make a living for myself and at the same time I am paying homage to one of my heroes.

I don't hate the haters, I just feel sorry for them and hope they receive the necessary therapy.

Ponder doesn't need therapy. Like I said, stick around and be part of the discussions and you won't get slagged off about anything. The members in this forum are serious about Hank. We don't like passersby to just fling in some one-time spam, even when they think it pertains to Bukowski. I'm only letting you in on this because I'm an artist too and I'd like not to see you have rotten fruit thrown all over you. ;)

Many of us have been through the mill by the way. Think about it. It's probably what draws us to Bukowski.

I just feel sorry for them and hope they receive the necessary therapy.
At least you aren't too full of shit yourself. Because, you know, that would be tragic. What with all your talent at making those shiny, bumpy looking horrorscapes.

They're supposed to be scary, right?

If I had kids I'd buy one off you and use it to keep them in line.

"I told you to go to sleep! Do you want me to bring out the Hardy-man?"
"NO! No! I'm going! Ahhh! Don't bring out the Hardy-man! Don't bring out the Hardy-man! Ahhhhhhh........!"

But I don't have kids, so I don't really need one.

Ok, I apologies d gray. Only on the hoof as per the previous peoples comments.

To be quite frank, the term 'fine art' for the viewer to decide on . Art is art is art in my book.

Take a look for example someone like William De Kooning and some people are bound to consider that is also fine art now days...

Street art (Banksy), pop art (Warhol) and old masters (Rembrandt), contemporary masters (Freud) are now on a level, especially in buying terms, as they can match each other and are seen as leaders in their own fields.

All the above have great execution, and if that can define fine art, then I would accept that.

The thing for me is not to get to hung up on it, although, it's obvious that I do. :)

I usually don't respond anymore after I give my opinion
but I'll make an exception because maybe you're not an asshole.

When I clicked, new thread, portrait painting of Buk and I saw
the photo of the painting, words came to my mind such as sunglasses,
stone cold and disease.
Yes, disease. Buk had TB in 1988? but I don't think the picture is
taken around 1988.

I hardly could look at the photo of your painting. No kidding.
Buk looks like he has a terrible disease. Sorry, but that's what I
feel when I look at the photo.
I also took a look at your other stuff and the Heffner thing is even worse.
If I would have guessed I'd really think the picture is taken while
Heffner is laying in his coffin.

No offense.

And Carol is wrong, I do need therapy.

People with TB go gaunt and usually appear alot paler, much like the picture you posted, which is from the same photo.

It would also be nice if you stopped bothering me! Yes, I get it... You don't like my paintings. I don't really care that you don't! :)

But I hope go and get the help that you require! :)

<british-tv-joke>
Now, I like the $30 water colour ...
and I like the £1000 oil painting...
But which is better?
There's only one way to find out...
F I G H T!!!!!!!!!
</british-tv-joke>

And here's the photo, for all you curious people in Bukowskiland:

COVER_Bukowski.jpg

Somehow David Hardy, you took the smile out of his eyes... :emo:

I like the painting. The likeness is pretty good, i think. It's certainly not one of those many horrible Bukowski paintings we've seen over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would also be nice if you stopped bothering me!
Stop coming here and looking at this thread. Then you won't be bothered.

What will not work is whining, reporting posts, telling people how they are allowed to respond to you and generally behaving like a big pussy.

I don't think you have the ability to not behave like a pussy though, so I predict tragedy and sadness for all involved.

I'm sorry, I wish it could be different.

The photo is best.
The eyes on both paintings fall short.

The skin is certainly alive. A good portrait will have nothing of the artist left in the finished subject.

I'm beginning to sound like Brian Sewell more every day.

What will not work is whining, reporting posts, telling people how they are allowed to respond to you and generally behaving like a big pussy.

reporting posts? who does that???

may i suggest a new avatar...

crying-baby.jpg

I don't think you have the ability not to be a pussy though, so I predict tragedy and sadness for all involved.
I guess this means that he must be pussywhipped?:DD

Nice painting but your sales pitch on this forum was doomed without establishing yourself. These folks thrive on tossing out assholes that just come here to sell stuff (as they should).

It's a tough room.

I think the likeness is good on the oils, but honestly, my first thought is that he's been making cookies, rolling out the dough, and has flour all over his face. Too many white shinny places for my tastes, but a better likeness than I could muster.

The Keith Richards is definitely scary.

The photo captures a man who's had a couple of glasses of wine, spent the day reading in the sun, and is being propped up by a lighting assistant. You fail to capture the feeling of the photo and instead bring something else to the portrait. Is this intentional? Btw, I think you overdid the wrinkles and folds; he has ended up looking like prune man.

For me, great portraits come from the painter having contact with the subject, even if they eventually use a photo to paint from. The story becomes part of the artwork and that is what gives it life. Otherwise, it's a bit like reading a biography written by someone who never met the subject.

p.s. I prefer the Bu-Hulk-ski painting just because it seems less generic, but as others have said, I still don't think it matches the feel of the photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back