pseudonyms! (1 Viewer)

...a photo of Baës:-

steve_baes_1984_tricheurs.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to imagine him gardening for money to spend at the track.

That's a great article. Bukowski at some of his most honest and heartfelt. You get a great sense of how he deals with his male relationships, and how the filter we all deal with provides a disjoint from how we feel and how we act. At our best we leave that at the bottom of the crapper, but we have a survival instinct that gets marred by bullshit and pain.We con ourselves all the time, and Bukowski lays out the regret and fallacy of our surface motivations.

Maybe it's already mentioned above, or in a different thread, but didn't Buk call himself "_______ Sweetmeat" in a story?

Boy, am I glad that I 'm not stone. I am still at the bottom of the crapper. I need puppets to understand what you are saying. o_0o

I'm not sure what that means, Black Swan, but I sure like the way it sounds. Puppet translators! Don't anyone tell Thomas Ligotti about this; I want to write that story myself.

<non sequitur> As you may know, Ulysses S. Grant was actually named Hiram Ulysses Grant. The name Ulysses S. Grant was a typo and the "S" did not stand for anything, just like in Harry S Truman's name... </non sequitur>

I am sometimes distracted by shiny things...

from wikipedia, the only source for truth (except for the bible, of course and only the verses that prove your point, not the ones that disprove your point or contradict your point:wb:)

Jesus H. Christ is an example of slang serving as a profanity.[1]
100px-IHC-monogram-Jesus-medievalesque.svg.png

The expression dates to at least the late 19th century, although according to Mark Twain it was already old in 1850.[2][need quotation to verify]
Using the name of Jesus Christ as an oath has been common for many centuries, but the precise origins of the letter H in the expression Jesus H. Christ are obscure. While many explanations have been proposed, some serious and some not, the most widely accepted derivation is from the divine monogram of Christian symbolism. The symbol, derived from the first three letters of the Greek name of Jesus (Ιησούς), is transliterated iota-eta-sigma: IHS, ΙΗϹ (with lunate sigma), JHS or JHC. Since the transliteration IHS gave rise to the backronym Iesus Hominum Salvator (Latin for "Jesus, savior of men"), it is plausible that JHC similarly led to Jesus Harnaldo Christ,[3] Harold coming from the mispronunciation of the word "hallowed" of the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name." The H has also been said to stand for "Holy."

Pseudonyms in "Women" :

Dinky Summers: Bob Linde - singer/guitarist friend of Buk's
Lydia Vance: Linda King - one of Buk's longtime relationships
Dee Dee Bronson: Liza Williams - executive at Island Records - lover of Buk's
Tammie: Pamela Miller ("Cupcakes") - lover of Buk's
Arlene: Georgia Peckham-Krellner - friend of Pamelas
Sammy Levinson: Neeli Cherkowski - friend of Buk's
Tanya: Amber O'Neill (also a pseudonym!) - fan/lover of Buk's
Mercedes: Joanna Bull - fan of Buk's
William Keesing: William Wantling - poet & friend of Buk's
Cecilia Keesing: Ruth Wantling - wife of William
Sara: Linda Bukowski
Drop On Inn: Dew Drop Inn
Drayer Baba: Maher Baba - indian guru
Bobby & Valerie: Brad & Tina Darby - friends & neighbours of Buk's
Douglas Fazzick: Douglas Blazek - editor of "Ole" & publisher of Buk
Bart McIntosh: Ted Laturnus - organizer of Buk's reading in Vancouver 1976

That's the pseudonyms in "Women" that I've worked out so far. Has anyone found some pseudonyms not on my list?

Mindy: Joan Babbage

Last edited by a moderator:
Iris Hall ( the Canadian belly dancer): Jane Manhattan

Charles Bukowski - David Calonne - Critical Lives
page 122.

Do they even have belly dancers in Canada? Going tomorrow. I'll look into that and get back to you.

I just saw the posting by Buk Fan with all of the pseudonyms. That is really fantastic. I'll have to re-read Hollywood. Too bad for me it's buried in one of my boxes that although they are labeled I'm too damn tired to keep up with life let alone dig through my big pile of boxes. I dream of the day when I can get out of this cottage and move into a bigger place where I can actually put my books onto a book shelf for God's sake. But again, thanks for that list of names. This website is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back