• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Reserves on Ebay (2 Viewers)

Just utter crap when people place unrealistic reserves on ebay.

Sellers should place a first bid limit and then the item is on the market - otherwise it is a complete waste of time for everyone - not to mention VERY ANNOYING.

The Bukowski book (last BSP publication) is the perfect example.

The last bid is $356.69 after a starting price of $99 BUT it doesn't sell because the reserve is not met.

Good luck to the selller - wonder what price he/she wants for it.

PBBUK

Just found out the reserve - $1,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on!

We all love Bukowski on this site BUT $1,000 being the minimum you would accept for the book AND starting the auction at $99.

CRAZY!!!!!

PBBUK

yep, that's ridiculous. i know that book is scarce and all, but damn! it's ebay, not abe...
i would say a reasonable reserve would be half that if not a little less....

i think reserves are pretty silly too... i understand wanting to start the bidding low, since that stimulates more bids than an item that starts at a high price, but the reserve effectively cancels that. and, what's even dumber is to list it at $100 instead of $1... you pay more in listing fees, and it's not going to sell for $1 or $100, so what difference does it make?

Yeah, that is a damn beautiful book, but not worth $1000 on a good day. I would think that $400 would be a fair price on ebay. Maybe $450 on abe, but that is about it. Now, in ten years, I can see it being over $1000...

Maybe he'll relist it with a reasonable reserve. You could always offer him $400 and see if he takes it. If he does some research (looking here would help), he'll see that he has priced this book at 2 1/2 times higher than it is reasonably worth....

Bill

I suspect that many items are listed on ebay with an impossibly high reserve just so the individual can test for a market price and is not really interested in selling the object.

Having bought a copy of this book when it was released, I feel that $1000 is really very reasonable. In fact he should be asking $2000 for it just so I can feel better about having bought it cheap.

No. OK. Fuck it. It's not worth it, you're right. And those reserves are a pointless pain in the ass.

I suspect that many items are listed on ebay with an impossibly high reserve just so the individual can test for a market price and is not really interested in selling the object.

good point, I never really thought about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back