RIP Davy Jones, former Monkee (sic) (1 Viewer)

"Hey, Hey We're the Monkeys!"....I used to watch--when was it, mid-late Sixties? Could never quite figure it out...Trying to capitalize on the Beatles I suppose and Davy was just so cute....

I remember standing in the Rhino Records shop in Westwood? (between Beverly Hills and Santa Monica, probably poor memory here). They were playing records as record stores do/did. The Monkees. Maybe the Australian compilation from way back put together by Glen A. Baker. One of the clerks commenting that the songs that weren't the "hits" sounded good.

That was 1977 or 1981 (my two trips to southern California). A few years later Rhino started putting out boxed sets of The Monkees. They still are.

At least they could make fun of themselves.

Man I loved this show. Loved it. I had the Monkees dinky toy station wagon. I thought I was so cool, which at 7 or 8 is all you need to have an amazing day. Davey and the boys gave me many amazing days.

I am actually very good friends with Mike Nesmith's son and just saw him yesterday. We were just talking about the Monkees. Not a subject we usually speak about. So this came as a surprise today. Very strange, and sad. ....realizing they are all getting up there in age, etc. He recently lost his mom as well. (Mike's ex)

If the Monkies were known by their detractors as the Prefab Four, was Davy Jones the inspiration behind Prefab Sprout? - is just the sort of question you ask yourself when tossing and turning in the wee hours...

I remember being excited when my folks almost bought a house in the same road as Davey Jones (in Portsmouth, England). Alec Guiness also lived around that area at the time. Anyway, they never bought the house and my parents separated shortly after. Not that I'm blaming Davey Jones for that (unless he slept with my mum?) but it's funny how you can find a connection with someone.

Used to love the show too, I thought it was funny. It was repeated a lot during school holidays when I was growing up in the late 70s / early 80s. That and the Banana Splits. I quite like their music too (I think I've been ridiculed on here before for mentioning that actually :D ).
RIP

I remember being excited when my folks almost bought a house in the same road as Davey Jones (in Portsmouth, England). Alec Guiness also lived around that area at the time. Anyway, they never bought the house and my parents separated shortly after. Not that I'm blaming Davey Jones for that (unless he slept with my mum?) but it's funny how you can find a connection with someone.
Sounds a bit like Stella Street ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back