Sad, yet I'm Glad (2 Viewers)

Glad Hank shared with us on his terms his way living life on his own path.

The West Coast was SO blessed!

I am on the East ( Nations Capitol ) and keep going into libraries and asking for Bukowski.

EVERY Librarian I have encountered has not heard of him!!!!!

And quite a few libraries do not have anything either! Sad!

But his works are in the book stores at least

Without them and some cash, I still wouldn't have read WOMEN :eek:

Attachments

• bukowskipainting029.jpg
    bukowskipainting029.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 246
As The World Turns

Most of the libraries I know of Keep Buk books behind the counter, because derelicts tend to boost them.

Yes... and there seems to be something in Bukowski's writings where certain fans feel they can "help" themselves to one of his books, whether it was on a visit to his digs, a trip to rip-off the neighborhood bookstore, or to "lift" a library copy they happen not to have. When I was younger I must confess that I used to steal girlie magazines from newsstands and markets; I was too young and embarrassed to buy them; I couldn't help it. But if I'd been caught it would have been the humiliation of a lifetime. Sometimes humans just crave things and it's rather easy to help ourselves until we go one step too far, make an error in plain sight, and it's all over. Fortunately, I grew out of that period just in time, but not without accumulating a pile of mags that I have to admit I enjoyed the hell out of. I actually enjoyed some of the short stories"”what looked like the better ones"”and they were different than what I was reading in high school and college, that's for damn sure. I liked them. Even now my mind searches back to remember if this was where I first encountered Bukowski's writings; probably not, because I preferred Playboy to Hustler, which I felt demeaned women physically and sexually, and stripped them entirely of their magical allure and even I wouldn't stoop to steal. What a rag...and I've read somewhere in Buk's poems, where I believe he had similar feelings"”all those shaved, split-beaver shots, like the women were just a piece of raw meat dangling on the end of a man's penis. So even in this strange and compulsive period of life, I at least had some standards of respect for the fairer sex. I still do. Even with Buk's writings, I do not care for his penchant of calling certain women "whores." They were more than whores, and they just happened to be keeping this son of a bitch company, and they had names... So as it turns out, I "stole" my way into a new way of seeing the world and satisfied some of the inner demons about those mysteries of existence I wasn't finding out about in the family, the schools, the news, you name it. I was just lucky enough not to get caught. Beyond the act of stealing itself, I believe there's something within all of us that tells us what to take from someone's writings, and what I learned led me to some wonderful affairs with women who "stole" my life, but then returned it to me renewed. "”Poptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Buk often used the word "whore" about women. I've always thought that he did it to live up to the myth, not that he meant it deep down. He just had to be this tough-talking, beer drinking sob from time to time. Otherwise he would be less than his own myth. Just my two cents...

You can make excuses for his motives but you can't make excuses for his actions; he called women 'whores' and that's that; whether he meant it 'deep down inside' or just 'on the surface' is still hurtful. Talk to me.

You're right! It's hurtful either way. Even if he was just acting...

Yes... and there seems to be something in Bukowski's writings where certain fans feel they can "help" themselves to one of his books, whether it was on a visit to his digs, a trip to rip-off the neighborhood bookstore, or to "lift" a library copy they happen not to have.

i seem to recall a letter (possibly in SCREAMS) where bukowski expresses his aversion for someone who has boasted about lifting a book from the library. egalitarian all the way...

You're right! It's hurtful either way. Even if he was just acting...

I need a good woman...
I need a good woman so badly that I
can taste her in the air, I can feel her
at my fingertips, I can see sidewalks built
for her feet to walk upon,
I can see pillows for her head,
i can fell my waiting laughter,
I can see her petting a cat,
I can see her sleeping,
I can see her slippers on the floor.
I know that she exists
but where is she upon this earth
as the whores keep finding me?
--Charles Bukowski

Don't get me wrong because I worship bukowski's writing. I just don't think that we need to be apologetic or make excuses for admiring his work; that's just political correctness- fuck that!!!!!!!! Cheers.

You can make excuses for his motives but you can't make excuses for his actions; he called women 'whores' and that's that; whether he meant it 'deep down inside' or just 'on the surface' is still hurtful. Talk to me.

I wasn't making excuses! It was just my thoughts on the subject. Whether the word "whore" is hurtful was beside the point. But of course it is, that goes without saying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back