Seen any good movies lately?

d gray

tried to do his best but could not
Founding member
yeah - i should've said don't f with ricky roma.

have you seen that movie? it's great.

Black Swan

Abord the Yorikke!
Just been at the movies and seen an overwhelmingly moving, brutal German movie named "Systemsprenger", meaning "System-Breaker" about a 9-yo girl who can't control her sudden impacts of aggressiveness and violence, which leads her from one social-institution to the next.
Just watched it on Netflix. Fantastic. Another film about how the system fails the kids. That little girl was amazing! A child’s despair is so great, unimaginable! When she screamed mama, I could only say it too, it is primal!

Last edited:
Just saw Knives Out.

Knives Out is a 2019 American black comedy mystery film written and directed by Rian Johnson. A modern whodunit, the film follows a family gathering gone awry, after the family patriarch's death leads a master detective to investigate.

Daniel Craig did an awesome job. Started a tad slow, but then the twists/turns began. Later, small details I only subconsciously registered during the movie came to light. Could use a second viewing.

i think bukowski would love this guy, joão césar monteiro, portuguese, a sort of crumb, more intellectually clever, with more sense of humor and more artistic minded. here's one of my favorite movies of his, not the most famous one, called 'recollections of the yellow house' with english subtitles. he had a sense of humor and depravity unconscionable for a country so far behind, with so many taboos created by fifty years of a fascist dictatorship accentuated on a cult of devotion to family values, holy christianity, and nationalism.

Lisbon, 1989. A middle-aged poor idiot, tormented by an illness, lives in a cheap room in a family boarding house, in the old section of the city's waterfront.
iMDB
João de Deus, a middle-aged man, lives in a cheap boarding house in an old part of Lisbon. He relies on Franz Schubert's music and films to stave off misery. After harassing his landlord's daughters, he is thrown out of his room. He is sent to a mental hospital; however, he eventually manages to escape through the sewers.
Wikipedia

Last edited:
I streamed this a week ago and enjoyed it. A heavy theme is the internet killed the rarities and also the thrill of the hunt. I went to a giant sale in Denver back in '08-09 and there were people with PDAs scavenging thru boxes and reading barcodes, not even looking at covers, copyright page, colophon, etc. I found out later they were using some program that linked to Amazon where you could see how many copies were currently for sale. Weak. A bookman or bookwoman should know certain things like there are 30 copies of Hot Water Music with a Paget imprint and 18 "Terror Sreet." If you collect books, you'll get some enjoyment out of this.

Reactions: mjp
Not a movie but... watching it after 3 years since I first watched it. I think it's 30 years this year since it first came out. Don’t know if there are any fans out here.
3BFC8481-DE4D-4F87-AA7E-6CF7CDEECCE7.jpeg

making an effort to end season 3.
it's been lasting almost a year.
for some reason i didn't get twin peaks.
it reminds me of bukowski when he said:
they bored me... trees, greenness, it's like: green trees, green trees, green trees.

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
I rewatched the original seasons before the 3rd season came out in 2017, and I didn't feel like it held up. Part of its appeal in 1990 was that it was so weird and unlike anything else on TV. But by 2017, the original was just another weird old show in a sea of weird new shows.

It reminded me of "weird" movies like Liquid Sky that I was enamored with back in the 80s. I saw 10 minutes of that a couple of months ago and it's awful. Now, in retrospect. It was probably awful when I watched the VHS tape half a dozen times, but in the context of other movies at the time, it was something cool and different.

It's definitely a product of its time. I think that, like they usually say about the show, it inspired a lot of the shows we see today, in the sense that it's more of a long movie than a TV show. The first season still holds up, in my opinion. The second one is a slog to get through, but has its moments toward the end. The third one is pure David Lynch madness, and kind of a big middle finger to anyone who wanted closure on the show. The best thing about Twin Peaks for me is the prequel movie, Fire Walk WIth Me, which I see as sort of a horror movie.

All of what Aficionado37 just said.
(esp. his liking "Fire Walk With Me", which was a great psycho(logical)-movie, underestimated by critics and audience alike.)

Also:

You always need to watch (or listen to) a piece of art in the context of its own time.
Else, there's nothing revolutionary about Van Gogh, Beethoven, The Godfather, Galilei, Matrix or Punk.

What I dislike about parts of the 3rd season (and Lynch in general) is this "oh, look how crazy and artsy my creative act is!"-attitude.

What I dislike about parts of the 3rd season (and Lynch in general) is this "oh, look how crazy and artsy my creative act is!"-attitude.
I used to be one of those people that think "Wow this is weird and I can't understand it, therefore it must be DEEP (and I'm probably dumb)!" Then I read Bukowski. I still enjoy some of Lynch's movies (Eraserhead is an all-time favorite) and surrealist art in general, but it's sometimes hard to take seriously. It's a mighty fine line between twisted fun/horror and pretentious gibberish with surrealist works. I think MJP did an episode on his podcast about this specifically (including Lynch).

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
I think MJP did an episode on his podcast about this specifically (including Lynch).
It was called, "Twin Peaks and David Lynch, Non-album B-sides, Orange Is the New Black and Kathy Griffin."

Everyone claims to like David Lynch movies, but I wonder how many of those people actually watch them. Because honestly, that shit can be hard to sit through. When I was in my 20s some of my friends said, “Oh, you have to see ERASERHEAD!” So I went down to King Video and browsed through the racks of VHS tapes, and took it home to watch it. The first time I fell asleep, but I thought, well, I was just tired or too drunk or something, so I tried it again and I fell asleep again. Now back in those days you only had the movie for a couple days, then you had to bring it back. But I thought, well, if this is everything it’s cracked up to be, it will be worth a late fee to see it, so I hung on to it and tried it again.

I got through it the third time, but after I did I didn’t feel as if I’d just witnessed greatness. It was weird, sure. And I like the girl who came out of the radiator and sang, “In heaven, everything is fine,” but other than that, the long, pointless shots wore me down, and the story, such as it was, didn’t do anything for me. So I brought the tape back and paid the late fee and asked my friends who’d recommended the movie what the hell was wrong with them. One of them said, “Oh, you didn’t really watch that, did you? Ha ha ha.” So I guess they showed me. And I like weird, just give me something in there, weird just for the sake of weird isn’t weird, it’s stupid.

d gray

Founding member
i guess this is a subjective question but is "the harder they come" worth watching? the
soundtrack's great but is the movie any good? it's on Kanopy - anyone in canada use
it? - free streaming through the public library system with tons of good content.

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
Whether The Harder they Come is worth watching depends on whether you find that mid-70s period of Jamaican music interesting. There's a story there, but it's not much to hang on. Jimmy Cliff does a good job though. But it certainly captures what life in Jamaica looked like in those days.

It's not as good as Rockers, but realistically, neither one of them is going to be of much interest to a general move watcher who isn't into reggae.

d gray

Founding member
that was surprisingly good! alot of it had a documentary feel to it, with all the hand held footage and on
the fly street shots.

the vintage jamaica scenery was great too, as you said.

Reactions: mjp
I have a sister that paints nails for a living, and she charges extra for 'nail art' - drawing a camel, or a santa on christmas. I've never saw a Lynch movie, and it's strange because his one of the great American directors and I've seen many of them, but never him. What I did see, was a movie about his "art" and his "meditation" and both of them were equally bullshit, the meditation one was hyper bullshit, TM is the greatest scam, well, meditation is a scam, but TM is the holy scam, this one actually takes you money to learn two words. His artistic movie, I had to jump parts, because he was just telling stories of childhood, like, an excuse to make a dramatic painting. The only good thing I've seen so far, was the hair, great hair.

PhillyDave

“The essential doesn't change.” Beckett
Not a movie but... watching it after 3 years since I first watched it. I think it's 30 years this year since it first came out. Don’t know if there are any fans out here.
View attachment 19347
my log does not judge

Whether The Harder they Come is worth watching depends on whether you find that mid-70s period of Jamaican music interesting. There's a story there, but it's not much to hang on. Jimmy Cliff does a good job though. But it certainly captures what life in Jamaica looked like in those days.

It's not as good as Rockers, but realistically, neither one of them is going to be of much interest to a general move watcher who isn't into reggae.
I dug em both. Rockers better. I've seen lots of movies lately. Last night I saw Steve McQueen's Shame. the trailer doesn't do it justice so I don't know why i'm posting it. That being said, it is a great movie that, so far, has really stuck with me.

Been on a movie kick lately. Watched Jarhead for the first time and liked it. Also rewatched Robocop and Dredd, which I'd really recommend if you like Robocop. Yesterday I saw this one, which surprised me a lot with how good it was.

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
that was surprisingly good!
I forgot to mention, for anyone who likes The Harder They Come and/or Rockers, The Criterion Channel has a movie from the same era, but filmed in England, called Babylon. Just like the movies shot in Jamaica, a musician plays the main role in Babylon, Brinsley Forde from Aswad.

It's miraculous that those three movies were made and it's great that they survive. Babylon wasn't really available anywhere until Criterion added it, but the other two have been around for a while.