• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Shedding this addiction, and getting the most from it (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
Michael, btw, congratulations on the Wormy sales...

Bad title for a thread, sorry; certainly an e-mail title that I wouldn't open up.

Pretend that you've bought a 1-way ticket to, "... a small drinking town that has a fishing problem." You leave a week from tonight and you need a lot more $$$ than you have.
Well, this friend I've been staying in limbo with for a little bit, has been sharing his rent-a-space spot with me for free, and I thought I'd free up some space and sell ALL my Bukowski.

Got a bottle of wine, going to list what I have here 1st...
Don't wan't to come up with individual prices and dilute the market, selling then one at a time,... was thinking about putting them on as one huge lot on e-bay with a little bit of an outrageous buy-it-now offer (yet accepting, make an offers).....that's assuming the big booksellers might give me a good amount of $ then divvy it up for big profits.

I know you all need more info, and I will start listing in a minute. Must say a friend told me not to post a note like this to an author appreciation site like this, but fuck it...if any of you really want something that I list, pm me.

Shakespeare Never Did This, BSP, 1995, Photographer's Copy
Bring Me Your Love, BSP, 1983, Artist's Copy
The Day it Snowed in LA, Paget, 1986, lettered 'P' Sold
Pulp, BSP, 1994, Printer's Copy
Run With the Hunted, BSP, 1993, File Copy
Roominghouse Madrigals, BSP, 1988, Presentation Copy Sold
Three Poems, BSP, 1992, copy 'X'
Fire Station 1/100 Hard Cover (slightly water warped) with clam shell
Crucifix with wrap-around band and clam shell. Sold
Letter to Steve Richmond (1988) + Hitler Painted Roses+ Spinning off Bukowski (1st) signed
3 poems (8 count and on..., Lousy mail (both 1992) and Beds, toilets, you and me-- (1976))
Art 1977 lettered L (Krumhansl 57 d) Sold
One for the Old Boy, 1984, numbered 7
Now, 1992, numbered 41
A Love Poem, 1979, Printer's Copy Sold
Those Marvelous Lunches, 1993, lettered K
Dear Friend (a Letter from Henry Miller) 1987 (1 of 250 printed)
Notes of a Dirty Old Man 1969 1st Essex
Fencing with the Shadows1995 (X-Ray Broadside)
Going Modern 1984 Sold
Blow 6 1984 (1st, in orange paper wrappers)
Poems Written Before Jumping....1968
Barfly Promo 1984
Chilled Green 1970 (fully marbled)
Pig in a Pamphlet 1985 Sold
Relentless as the Tarantula 1986 (signed)
Peace Amongst the Ants
2 LPs (Bukowski Reads his Poetry, and Hello. It's good to be back
Sure, the Charles Bukowski newsletter #10 1994
Bukowski Review Number One (winter 2001-2002) and Issue Two (winter 2002-2003)
Firsts (Collecting Modern First Editions) January 1995 (Collecting Charles Bukowski
Bukowski Photographs 1977-1987 by Michael Montfort 1987 (Krumhansl 104 a)
The New Censorship (the 3 all Bukowski issues)
  • Vol.2 No.3 June 1991 (signed, with a typical doodle that looks really great with the cover) SOLD
  • Vol.3 No.1 April 1992 (signed)
  • Vol.4 No.2 May 1993
Aftermath of a Lengthy, Lettered 'D'
20 tanks from Kasseldown, 1946
Afternoons into Night 2003 BOS Press lettered S
Be cool, fool 2002 X-Ray Spare Parts (unfolded)

Same Old Thing, Shakespeare Through Mailer 1963 Wormwood flyer
Grip the Walls, 1964 Wormwood 202/600
Legs, Hips and Behind.. 1978 Wormwood 445/700
Horses Don't Bet on People & Neither Do I 1984 Wormwood 354/700
Beauti-ful 1988 Wormwood 504/700
People Poems 1991 Wormwood 176/700

X-Ray #10 lettered E
X-Ray #9 numbered 68

Odyssey Magazine Vol. II No. I 1959
Throb 1 and Two
FBI Files 12 Gauge Press 2003

A Visitor Complains of my Disenfranchise 1987

Living on Luck (1st soft BSP)
Open All Night (1st soft BSP)
Pulp (1st soft BSP)
The Roominghouse Madrigals (1st soft BSP)
The Last Night of the Earth Poems (1st soft BSP)

Sifting Through the Madness... (ARC, Ecco)
The Flash of Lightning...(ARC, Ecco)
Come On In! (ARC, Ecco)
The People look like Flowers at Last (ARC, Ecco)
The Pleasures of the Damned (ARC, Ecco)

Interview magazine January 1988 (excerpts from Hollywood, and interviews with Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway on the making of Barfly)
Rolling Stone June 1976 great interview by Glenn Esterly "Bukowski in the Raw"
Interview magazine September 1987 interview by Sean Penn

& of course Krumhansl's Biblio, with broadside, kissed by the 'flood' scare (only 1 listed here battered with that particular injustice).

That's pretty much it, aside from surprise DVDs, a CD, recent soft covers, and 2 Ecco Hardcover 1sts that I'm throwing in unlisted in the lot.

Input please

Shakespeare Never Did This, BSP, 1995, Photographer's Copy. Sold
Bring Me Your Love, BSP, 1983, Artist's Copy. Sold
Pulp, BSP, 1994, Printer's Copy. Sold
Run With the Hunted, BSP, 1993, File Copy. Sold
Three Poems, BSP, 1992, copy 'X' Sold
Fire Station 1/100 Hard Cover (slightly water warped) with clam shell. Sold.
Letter to Steve Richmond (1988) + Hitler Painted Roses+ Spinning off Bukowski (1st) signed. Sold
3 poems (8 count and on..., Lousy mail (both 1992) and Beds, toilets, you and me-- (1976)) Sold
One for the Old Boy, 1984, numbered 7. Sold
Now, 1992, numbered 41 Sold
Those Marvelous Lunches, 1993, lettered K. Sold
Poems Written Before Jumping....1968. Sold
Relentless as the Tarantula 1986 (signed) Sold
Aftermath of a Lengthy, Lettered 'D' Sold
A Visitor Complains of my Disenfranchise 1987. Sold

Thanks! Mod

Last edited:
are you trying to sell those as a lot, or will you sell individual books? also, do you want to price them, or do you just want people to send offers?

I was wondering if it was insane to sell them as a lot, and offering u all the chance to pick through it 1st....but I don't want to come up with an asking price.

Jordan, I wanted 2 give u all a chance 1st

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, it works to my advantage because I'd like only one or two of these (well, I'd love them all, but...), but the only person who would buy the lot is likely to be a dealer, and you'll get something around 40-50 cents on the dollar. Otherwise, they can't cover their overhead and make a profit. On the other hand, we (some of us, I suppose) could offer you a better percentage of "value," but most of us have some of these and can't handle a lot sale. So you move fewer pieces for more money. I can see pros and cons for both approaches. The biggest con being, of course, if you sell as a lot, I get nothing. :rolleyes:

ok, now here's my next question... i don't want to insult you with a low offer. when bill dumped his collection, he posted books at prices that were very low, but not quite fire sale. with all the respect i have for bill, i would have felt bad offering those prices to him... but i also wouldn't have paid more, just because it's a lot of cash to part with unless i feel like i'm getting in on an uncommon opportunity to build my collection. so, with that in mind, can you give me an idea of your expectations selling these?

I do
I just don't want to get ripped Jordan. I mean, I'd rather give them away than be paid a pfenig. Thanks

I may be a dick but I'm more than will to scrounge through my couch cushions depending on what you have to sell.
Well, I hope you find something man. Ever since having the 'flooding' scare where I had my books last, I've been very weary to buy beauty. I'm learning to admire these BSP spines from afar, but sitting here on the bed with them,... man I'm thinking a couple might just love Key West.
Any ideas though guys? The thing is, once any of you all get what you'd like for a reasonable price, I will want to rid myself of the rest, getting the most $$ that I can. Someone give me an idea if it all were to go on e-bay as is. How much can I ask?

a little bit more to come,..

was thinking about putting them on as one huge lot on e-bay with a little bit of an outrageous buy-it-now offer (yet accepting, make an offers).....that's assuming the big booksellers might give me a good amount of $ then divvy it up for big profits.
I could be wrong, but I don't think eBay is the place to sell it as a whole. You might want to contact one of the dealers who specialize in Bukowski directly if that's the plan. I know there are at least a half dozen of them, though I'll leave it to others to name them, since I'm much too important to learn anyone's name (and I don't want everyone who is eyeing the list right now for cherry-picking purposes to hate me).

In any event, I'm sure you know that liquidating in a hurry puts you at an extreme disadvantage as far as negotiating a fair price.
a friend told me not to post a note like this to an author appreciation site like this
Is that all we are to you? I am deeply saddened. Anyway, I think you mean a rabid fanboy board, I think that's what most of the rest of the world calls us. Even though no one has called forums "boards" for over a decade.

Thanks for replying Michael. Really underwhelmed with the overall lack of interest otherwise. Look up a title you like folks and knock off around 35% off abe's lowest listing. Going once, going twice...

you have interest from me, i just have to do some research before i send you a couple offers. probably by this weekend.

just sell them one by one. it'll take longer but you'll make way more dough.

I'm flying out of here tuesday night

Art 1977 lettered. Sold
A Love Poem 1979 printer's copy. Sold
Raceristhebest(at)aol.com

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like a few of us have dropped out of the Buk collecting mode. If I was still collecting, I'd jump on some of these, especially the super-rare photographers and lettered copies. I know that they are the same as the numbered, but I love the different spines on the out of series copies.

I love the spines too Bill. Well, come tomorrow I think the whole lot may be on e-bay for 3 days only. Don't know what to ask, but will definitely accept offers. Anyone here want something, let me know now. Make an offer, & I will let you know by tomorrow morning. Pay me by then and it will be in the mail. Peace

zoom man, please pm me your asking prices for these (individually or as a lot):

The Day it Snowed in LA, Paget, 1986, lettered 'P'
Pulp, BSP, 1994, Printer's Copy
Roominghouse Madrigals, BSP, 1988, Presentation Copy
Three Poems, BSP, 1992, copy 'X'
Letter to Steve Richmond (1988) + Hitler Painted Roses+ Spinning off Bukowski (1st) signed
3 poems (8 count and on..., Lousy mail (both 1992) and Beds, toilets, you and me-- (1976))
One for the Old Boy, 1984, numbered 7
Now, 1992, numbered 41
Those Marvelous Lunches, 1993, lettered K
Poems Written Before Jumping....1968
Relentless as the Tarantula 1986 (signed)
The New Censorship (the 3 all Bukowski issues)
Vol.2 No.3 June 1991 (signed, with a typical doodle that looks really great with the cover)
Vol.3 No.1 April 1992 (signed)
Vol.4 No.2 May 1993
Aftermath of a Lengthy, Lettered 'D'
A Visitor Complains of my Disenfranchise 1987

I would do some research and make you an offer, but am stuck at work and it would take me a day or two. If you need a quick sale, please drop me a note. I take it all items are in top condition unless otherwise stated?

New Censorship Vol 2 No 3. Sold
Day it snowed in LA. Sold
Roominghouse Madrigals. Sold
Going Modern. Sold
Pig in a pamphlet. Sold

Hey Zoom Man

Please PM me prices for following -

Thanks