Site updates (timeline, database, manuscripts, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Ahhh, I see... well, I know I've been checking out your site ever since the whiskeytown server... I remember how you kindly sent me a password to access the vault after it was closed down, and I was one of the people to actually message you to build the forum.

I feel very proud to be a part of this group of people who visit bukowski.net.

*Group Hug*

Hello My name is José Leitão, and I'm a Buk-aholic...

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember you Jose. And I remember finding that very personal, top secret vault user/pass on a forum somewhere, after you'd posted it. I see everything, Jose! Everything!

Just busting your balls. ;)

:eek:

But... but... the guys at that forum were so desperate...:D

You have the memory of an elephant. That was what, 7, 8 years ago...?

:D Hope you weren't too mad about it.

Too technical. Too many show-offs. Not enough celebration. I know more than you know, so there. Keep it simple. Keep it pure. Don't be an asshole, remember what you signed up to. I ROARED LIKE A MADMAN.............

New user moderation

There are an inordinate number of spammers signing up and posting their shit, so I had to turn on new member moderation. If you just signed up, it may be a day or so until I can okay your account. Hang in there.

Thank Jesus! I'm sick of these sick fuckers trying to sell us shit that we don't need or want...

Bill
(Can you tell that I'm trying to get my average posts per day up?)

Someow people think I am one of those guys. I got a pm telling me to not use this site to sell my stuff. To wich I replied; what stuff? I am not selling anything!

Who sent the e-mail? I guess that it was just a mistake. It is usually pretty easy to see who is spamming. It usually is someone that posts and has no knowledge of the subject. Someone selling diet pills on this forum is an example.....

Your signature link is fine. dermaface doesn't speak for the management of this joint. Don't worry about it.

Timeline

Preliminary version of the timeline. https://web.archive.org/web/2020/https://bukowski.net/timeline/

Trying to work out a formatting issue with Internet Explorer, which is notoriously sucky when it comes to implementing CSS. You Firefox users will see faint boxes in the spaces with no entries, which I think makes it easier to read, but IE for some reason, refuses to show those outlines. I'll figure it out at some point, but let me know if this is otherwise readable.

I tried a few different layouts (one horizontal, like a typical timeline), but this one is the most practical and easy to manage when things are added/removed.

mjp said:
[...]
Trying to work out a formatting issue with Internet Explorer, which is notoriously sucky when it comes to implementing CSS. You Firefox users will see faint boxes in the spaces with no entries, which I think makes it easier to read, but IE for some reason, refuses to show those outlines. I'll figure it out at some point, but let me know if this is otherwise readable.
[...]

I haven't used IE for so long, or done anything with tables for ages either, but I have an idea that IE will only show the outlines of a cell if there is something, like a non-breaking space or maybe even a regular space character in the cell.

Great time line btw, another great resource. Thanks mjp

hank solo said:
...I have an idea that IE will only show the outlines of a cell if there is something, like a non-breaking space or maybe even a regular space character in the cell.
You are correct sir! Thanks. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Okay, seems to work everywhere. Added a link to the navigation. I'm quite sure more info will end up in there eventually, but it hits all the major points now.

Site updates

The Manuscripts page has been fixed.

The database query has been broken for a while, and the page was only listing 539 of the 624 available manuscripts. They are all there now. I'm still working on prepping the other 600+ manuscript images, and the database update.

This question is probably redundant, I always ask redundant things, but are you going to continue to update the timeline, adding in other 'periods' in Bukowskis life...i.e. when he done some boxing, and other vague half known things i.e. continue to fill in the blank years....

The timeline is great - really clear: strange to see his life layed out with such chronological simplicity. Good work...:)

mjp,
how far into the database are you now? I noticed that a few manuscripts make reference to "new" mag. entries, such as Cerberus and Sotto Voce, or were those already in the "old" database?

Olaf said:
This question is probably redundant, I always ask redundant things, but are you going to continue to update the timeline, adding in other 'periods' in Bukowskis life...i.e. when he done some boxing, and other vague half known things i.e. continue to fill in the blank years....

The timeline is great - really clear: strange to see his life layed out with such chronological simplicity. Good work...:)
It is kind of strange to see it laid out like that, isn't it. His life seems very short, looking at it on that page. But I suppose anyone's would.

As for additional info going into the timeline, yes, that will certainly happen. Though I don't want to fill it with trivia or conjecture, but I'm sure there are important events left out that will be added as we go.

cirerita said:
mjp,
how far into the database are you now? I noticed that a few manuscripts make reference to "new" mag. entries, such as Cerberus and Sotto Voce, or were those already in the "old" database?
Anything in there now has been in there for some time. I can't remember exactly when I last made an entry, but it wasn't recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back