Some newspaper tidbits (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
First is Bukowski's grandparents selling some land in Pasadena. Which I found interesting because Pasadena was still kind of a remote outpost in 1901, and also because they lived South of Colorado Bl., but the land they sold is a couple miles north. Thrilling, I know. Well, I told you they were tidbits.

bukowski-land.jpg

And the notice of Bukowski Sr.'s induction into WWI and then being shipped off to prepare to go to France.

bukowski-sr-2.jpg

bukowski-sr-1.jpg

It was probably cheap because Pasadena was outside of the city in 1901. If you were in Los Angeles and said "I'm going to Pasadena to see a man about some land," you wouldn't be back until the next day, and you'd have to find a stable for your horse(s) to sleep in overnight. ;)

Okay, it wasn't that far away, but it was seen as a remote spot outside of the city where you'd go for rest and relaxation.

Of possible interest: Bukowski Senior's draft card from WWI June 1917 and from WW2 I think April 27th 1942,"The Fourth Registration" as it was known. More about data collection (but the data that was collected is lost only the cards remain)for labour and fitnesss to work rather than suitability for military action:

buk-sr-draft2.jpg

buk-sr-draft3.jpg

buk-sr-draft1.jpg

Not sure where to post this so feel free to remove it....

Don't know if it is of any interest, but I stumbled of it during my Jane Cooney research ....

So before it's lost in the nowhere I will share it right now.

The San Bernardino County Sun, 4 Mar 1962, Sun, Page 45

The San Bernardino County Sun, 4 Mar 1962, Sun, Page 45.jpg

The San Bernardino County Sun, 8 Jul 1962, Sun, Page 41
Sorry for the not proper cutting....

The San Bernardino County Sun, 8 Jul 1962, Sun, Page 41.jpg

The second one is about Neeli Cherkovski in these days N. Cherry....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back