Supervan (1 Viewer)

Could be... Looks very similar indeed.

So one of the reasons why she agreed to play in Factotum (or was offered to) could be that at some point in her life she knew Bukowski personally...

It makes sense.

Actually, if it is Lili, then that can't be her at Factotum time, because Buk died in 1994 and the film was released in 2005. Maybe it's her doppelganger. Damn pretty whoever she is.

Apparently this is Jojo Planteen (from the band INFLATABLE BOY CLAMS).

JoJo01.jpg

Seems that she is known now as Monique Marquisa De Magdalena.

Can anyone confirm that this is the same person? The name Jojo Planteen is uncommon enough that it seems nearly impossible that it is not the same person...

Bill

Actually, if it is Lili, then that can't be her at Factotum time, because Buk died in 1994 and the film was released in 2005. Maybe it's her doppelganger. Damn pretty whoever she is.
Yeah, that picture was probably made in 70s or 80s.

If it's from Supervan movie, then it must be taken around 1977. Lili Taylor was born in 1967 so...

1. It's not Lili Taylor (because she was 10 years old in 1977)

2. It is Lili Taylor, but that picture is not from movie Supervan. Btw, Lili Taylor is not mentioned here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070756/

Well...

The photo you posted is a behind the scenes shot from .

I'll merge this with the Supervan thread for simplicity's sake.

Edit: Merged.

I still think the Supervan girl could be Planteen. The dates all make sense, and the two pictures (wet and smiling vs. dry and sullen) are hard to compare feature for feature. But sure, it could be anyone.

At least we know who the water boy is.

I knew Jojo Planteen in San Francisco the late 70s, and the woman in "Supervan" doesn't look much like her--different nose, mouth, chin--plus that woman looks a few years older (and not just because her mascara got hosed down). Jojo goes by Monique Marquisa De Magdalena these days.

Can anyone confirm that this is the same person? The name Jojo Planteen is uncommon enough that it seems nearly impossible that it is not the same person...
The top photo is Jojo in San Francisco circa 1980, and the bottom one is Monique De Magdalena in SF circa 2006. Definitely the same person, see her comment near the end of this page:

http://www.researchpubs.com/news/enews54.php

I imagine she's the same person Bukowski wrote to in '76 and '77.

see her comment near the end of this page:
() From JoJo Planteen aka Monique Marquisa de Magdalen (S.F. 70s Punk Rocker): "Thanks Vale for your newsletters! Awesome stuff!! I'm featured at Friction Reading put on by Tom Iveli and David Kelly DK/SF on Oct. 22 at 3pm at LifeTime Books 1346 Polk Street @ Pine doing my new Black Panther Poem and Emma Goldman is Back! Female Rising! / anarchists / revolutionaries/ pimps / whores/ virgins/ Bad Boys--Bad Girls/ all invited to partake in Kali's pure blood drinking while standing on Shiva's pretend-o, fake death body with his great lingum rising to the Great, Great Heavens! Come read some writing, be part of the wild, be part of the Great Cause!" [sorry we missed it!]

Uh, yeah.

RE/Search books were great back in the day. Post-internet they just seem quaint. The dense, horrible, painfully slow web site is very punk though.

It's funny that we were talking about a lot of Bukowski's correspondence being trashed after his death, because if she hadn't sent him a picture and he hadn't kept it and her letter(s), no one would have ever heard of her. As it is it's funny that her picture was in Sounes' book anyway. He must have thought she was cute.

She was a great songwriter though... :rolleyes:

Love how the girl with bukowski, is trying to peel his fingers off her and shift away, and buk is the veritable dirty man, just trying to swoon her.

interesting discovery.

so wtf was supervan and why is bukowski in it?

...if [Jojo] hadn't sent him a picture and he hadn't kept it and her letter(s), no one would have ever heard of her. As it is it's funny that her picture was in Sounes' book anyway. He must have thought she was cute.
I think more people know Jojo / Monique from the Inflatable Boy Clams and 30+ years of SF solo performances than from Bukowski ephemera.

I know what a cameo is but why is bukowski cameoing? (Can a person, go cameoing? I'll assume so.) I've never heard or seen the film, is it a hippy documentary?, it's surprising bit of rare footage. What's it all about?

What was Supervan?
Why did Buk get invovled?
Why does that girl look so uneasy? (This one's ok/ I know the answer)

p.s. Obviously, I'm now going to go a read the thread, so I find the answers.
p.s. it's fireworks night here in Scotland (in the U.K., but we don't like to admit it) and my window is open and all around me thousands of baby chicks are being borne in the sky, exploding like boquets of flowers.)

I think more people know Jojo / Monique from the Inflatable Boy Clams and 30+ years of SF solo performances than from Bukowski ephemera.

maybe maybe not. I would bet that more people have bought the H***** S***** biography all over the world than all of the IBC and other JoJo/Magdalena projects combined. It is not a dig on her and I have not heard her music, so she could be excellent... Still...

Bill

That girl does not seem to want to go away. Here she is on the cover of the Spanish translations of Portions.
I do not think that is monique or jojo at all. The other photos are her. I am personal friend of hers from san francisco were she used to live, but she has been missing for years. But, don't say, that she is "that girl that won't go away", as this is not monique. I am very sure. Furthermore, she did go away and it is hurtful to say that, since she is missing.

I do not think that is monique or jojo at all. The other photos are her. I am personal friend of hers from san francisco were she used to live, but she has been missing for years. But, don't say, that she is "that girl that won't go away", as this is not monique. I am very sure. Furthermore, she did go away and it is hurtful to say that, since she is missing.

Since you said that you do not know who the girl is that "will not go away" how do you know that she is missing? Or did you just sign up here to smack up on the knuckles. David said "this girl (and showed the photo of the girl from Supervan) will not go away. He did not say anything about your "friend". You made it about your friend and then chastised for making it about your friend.

sure, the regulars have them already. They may have plenty of stuff.
Still I like things like that. It shows the WILL to share.
Also it helps those members, who aren't so very much into the subject as a few others.

I noticed they were here first, because when I wanted to copy them from that site, I noticed I already had them in my Buk files and Buknet is the only place I could have gotten them from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back