The Best Buk Documentary (1 Viewer)

Does anybody have a best Buk documentary? I found this one on Youtube which is pretty good:

Born Into This
ir

BFB.

This is no doubt the best Buk documentary and I´m sure most of us have it on DVD (the DVD have about 2 hours of bonus material). That does´nt mean the other documentaries are´nt interesting too, but I think "Born Into This" is the best one because it covers Buk's whole life and has interviews with the people who knew him best.

I noticed in this documentary that there were a lot of interviewees credited at the end, but very few of them actually made it into the film. I think the likes of Sean Penn and Bono (especially) could have been dropped for people like GypsyLou or Ann Menebroker (or the many other people who knew Buk for much longer and more intimately). I wonder if there will be an extended version (of maybe 4 hrs or more) with these people included at some point?

There are some people who only made it into the 2 hour bonus material on the DVD
ir
such as Amber O´Neill who reads a bit from her book, "Blowing My Hero", about when she met Buk.
I think many of us agree Bono did´nt have anything to do in the documentary. Gypsy Lou or Ann Menebroker and a lot of other people who knew Buk would have been a better choice. As for Sean Penn, well, at least he knew Buk, which Bono did´nt, except for having met him and talked to him a couple of times.

One scene that really struck me in this documentary was the interview with 'Cupcakes' who sang a song that Buk used to sing to her. I'd love to hear a duet with the both of them singing that song! That would be awesome!

Thanks man, yeah Buk would have been about nine so I imagine it would have been through his parents but who knows. Cool song though, that's for sure.

I seem to remember that - years ago - we've talked about it here, including Bob Dylan playing that song on his radio-show, right?

She's the dog's balls!!!

I bought myself one of her Best of albums, 'Shave 'Em Dry', after being recommended her music by a friend of mine (who knows my tastes all too well!!!). Here's a favourite:

Last edited:
That Bono sure is easy to dislike. he's all about raising moey for the starving & debt relief yet doesn't even lve in Ireland because of the taxes. He's one of the richest fuckers in the world and he cant even give back to his own.

Yep Bono is quite the douche bag. I believe Buk said something about him to the effect that he thinks he is fighting the system but he is the system...pretty damn astute assessment for way back then. He did say Bono's mother was a nice woman though if I remember correct.

It's a possibility, though I thought it was when Buk and Linda went to a show and were in some celebrity type box with Jack Nicholson and Bono and his mom. But if his mom died when he was young then maybe not. Maybe Bono just hired some old bird to stand in as his mom, haha...wouldn't put it past him.

I think there are much bigger douches in the world than Bono, but please don't think I'm a fan or anything. Maybe he's still there, but I just think he'd be in the lower part of the list...

No Bono would have been great. No Bono and no Sean Penn would've been even better.

A great find for me was Harry Dean Stanton, who I thought read Buk's work superbly. But there were a lot of people who knew Buk from many years ago and who were credited at the end of the film, but didn't make it into the final cut for some reason. I think an extended version of those who knew him really well (from years back) would've made it more interesting. I'd like to see more of the real Buk than just his persona!

yet doesn't even lve in Ireland because of the taxes
he does have a residence in Ireland, yet he's not living there all the time.
maybe that's because of the taxes, but maybe it's just because he's an asked for star travelling the globe all year to give concerts and such. Or he just likes the French wine (he got another residence in France).

He also has one of his recording studios in Dublin (Ireland). But at the moment he can't be there recording, as he's lying in a bed in Dublin to recover from an accident he recently had in NY.

And yes, I do agree that he didn't do any good in the documentary.

a lot of people who knew Buk from many years ago and who were credited at the end of the film, but didn't make it into the final cut for some reason. I think an extended version of those who knew him really well (from years back) would've made it more interesting.
Well, anyone who buys the DVD will see those interviews, since they are part of the "extras." Those who watch it on YouTube get what they pay for.

I never really thought the the inclusion of Bono and Penn added anything, but I understand it. They are big names, and for most people, ringing endorsements by big names bestow legitimacy onto a thing. Most film bios follow the same formula: a bunch of recognizable people talking about how great the subject is/was.

As for those two dudes specifically, if you measure douchebaggery in the entertainment world on a scale, I would think they are near the bottom. In other words, most people in the wonderful world of entertainment are far bigger douchebags. On the Harvard University douchebag measurement scale.

Bono is interesting, because when U2 was coming up, he was an earnest guy. He thought he was in the Clash or something. Out there in the trenches, saving the world from itself. But when they got very, very famous, the star act and huge spectacle shows they put on felt a little like taking the air out of the whole concept of stardom to me. There was some irony there. Maybe there wasn't, and they are all pompous turdsicles. I don't know, I don't really follow them. I know I saw a show on that War tour, and I walked in actively disliking them - or more specifically, their sound - and walked out convinced they were for real.

Anyway, what would you prefer, interviews with professors, politicians and pizza chefs? More insight from his computer repairman?

You could leave out the professors, but interviews with former landlords, old friends, fellow drunks / barflys, neighbours, acquaintances, members of law enforcement, former fellow inmates, his plumber, etc. I think any of these in place of Bono giving crap, shallow insights (and simply reading his poetry) would be a significant mark up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back