• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

The boys over at bukowski.net (1 Viewer)

It's been years, but I used to have a lettered copy of this and, if memory serves, it was signed like this. The "BUK" signature was in the plate.

It looks that way to me. The BUK is in the plate and the other signature is after the fact. The question is, were all copies signed a second time (once on the colophon and once on the serigraph).

Bill

The auction copy isn't lettered, but rather 5/150.

Now that I think of it, If he signed some, he must have signed them all. It isn't like he signed the books after they were bound, so Martin must have sent him the colophon and the print for this one.

Interesting that they would only do it on that one title though, considering it wasn't the first to include a print.

I know that the print in You Get So Alone... was hand signed, but there was no signature in the plate on that one.

It does say, "...each with an original signed print by Charles Bukowski." - What does other signed and numbered books with a print say?

krumhansl is wrong at least about the print in screams from the balcony - he transcribes the colophon as saying that the print is singed, although it is not. my copy of hollywood has a signed print, though. pure speculation, but maybe the prints stopped being signed at the same time that the signatures were bound in as blank leaves, rather than signed on the colophon (the idea being that martin just got 2500 sheets signed at one go and used them as needed, rather than sending colophons over for each book).

It does say, "...each with an original signed print by Charles Bukowski." - What does other signed and numbered books with a print say?

Notwithstanding, or better yet, acknowledging, Jordan's comments (I just like using "notwithstanding" - it makes me sound smart), my copy of Sept Stew is described (in the colophon) as having an original "signed" print. All it has is a "Buk" in the lower right corner, and looking at it, I would say it's an original "Buk," but it may well be a printed "sig." Dunno. It's also signed on the colophon. So...another curiosity?

Thanks, PS! It looks like they all say, "...each with an original signed print", but only some of them actually has been signed, and the rest only has the print with the (printed?) "Buk" on them. Weird...

I used to own one of the 150 numbered copies... it was the same as in Scott's listing.
I believe they are all actually signed (and dated) as well as having a signature printed as part of the art work and again on the colophon.... notwithstanding what PS wrote. :)
The art at the front of Septuagenarian Stew is likewise actually signed and dated.
I can tell it's not part of the print because, on my copy, the lower part of the 2 in '2 - 90' has bitten into the paper somewhat in a way that only a pen could. There would be no variation in depth or pressure if it were printed.

In my copy of Screams, the colophon reads "...each with an original silkscreen print by Charles Bukowski".
In other words the colophon does not state the art is signed.

By the way, colophon is supposed to come from the Greek for summit or peak of a hill or mountain, but(t) colo in Greek means ass, bum, rear end. So I always thought of colophon as the ass-end of the book.

Actually, my Sept Stew also has the 2-90, and that, along with the "Buk" sure look like black marker pen. Notwithstanding what I wrote earlier.

So, ROC, it might be a stretch, but do you think that's where "colon" comes from?

By the way, colophon is supposed to come from the Greek for summit or peak of a hill or mountain, but(t) colo in Greek means ass, bum, rear end. So I always thought of colophon as the ass-end of the book.

Yes, and a common term for a little boy (especially one who is not well behaved) is "colopedo", which translates literally to "ass-child". It is used as a term of endearment, but it is really a bit vulgar. Colo is where we get the word "Colon", so it is not referring to the ass, but the hole....

Bill

Krumhansl seems to be incomplete on the subject of prints, as he doesn't note Septuagenarian Stew as having a version with a print (and he adds confusion by using three terms; "silkscreen," "serigraph" and "print" - okay, silkscreen and serigraph are technically different, serigraph and print are not).

Anyway, this thread is not nearly geeky enough without a list. Titles in bold have prints, and I know others do, but I don't have copies, so whoever wants to chip in and make the list comprehensive, please do.

1969 The Days Run Away
1971 Post Office
1972 Mockingbird Wish Me Luck
1973 South Of No North
1974 Burning In Water Drowning In Flame
1975 Factotum
1977 Love Is A Dog From Hell
1978 Women
1979 Play The Piano Drunk
1981 Dangling In The Tournefortia
1982 Ham On Rye
1983 Hot Water Music
1984 War All The Time
1986 You Get So Alone At Times signed
1987 The Movie: "Barfly"
1988 The Roominghouse Madrigals signed
1989 Hollywood signed
1990 Septuagenarian Stew
1992 The Last Night Of The Earth Poems
1993 Screams From The Balcony
1994 Pulp
1995 Living On Luck
1996 Betting On The Muse
1997 Bone Palace Ballet
1998 The Captain Is Out To Lunch (regular BSP edition)
1999 Reach For The Sun
1999 What Matters Most
2000 Open All Night
2001 Beerspit Night And Cursing
2001 The Night Torn Mad With Footsteps

I used to own one of the 150 numbered copies... it was the same as in Scott's listing. I believe they are all actually signed (and dated) as well as having a signature printed as part of the art work and again on the colophon....

My numbered copy of Roominghouse is signed. In both places.

More on the laundry list, which I think I have most of, and would have to dig some out, later...PBBUK should be able to help a great deal here, too.

last night, screams, and all the books after the captain is out to lunch have prints. also, shakespeare never did this has a print, although it's a photo print, not a silkscreen.

also, what's the difference between silkscreen and serigraph?

So are the prints on these bound in with the rest of the book? It kinda looks like it, but... something like that would be nice to frame, wouldn't it?

My bad, I was confusing serigraph with giclee. Serigraph and silkscreen are very close in technique, if not process.

I don't know why Krumhansl uses the different terminology for the same thing, maybe that's the way the BSP notes/records were written. But I wonder if the later prints are still serigraphs or just printed offset?

Also, why skip Betting On The Muse?

Also, why skip Betting On The Muse?

Well Bukowski was only able to come back from the grave to sign that one. He was going to do some art work, but Saroyan and Hemingway called him back up to finish off the last bottle of German Chardonnay.

Sure.

they skipped betting on the muse and living on luck. i don't really know why- maybe the allure of a signature was enough to push the numbered edition, so it wasn't worth the effort to do a print as well. i do know that all of the later prints are silkscreens (assuming my ability to tell between a slikscreen and an offset print).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back