The Next Buk (1 Viewer)

In one interview, an old Buk discusses his quote unquote salvation of literature. he humbly states that he was just doing what should have been done. I'm not going to be able to give a link right now, because I'm in the country on DIAL UP. ha. (If somebody could post this video it will help a lot, because technically I could be lying.)

Buk basically says he is waiting for the next person to start writing this way: against intellectualism. writing for the sake of writing. honesty.

Many claim to know the next in line. Some even say it is somebody from the same scene as buk.

Finally the Question. Who now best embodies the spirit of Bukowski's art, not personality.

I think such a person could or has emerged from hip hop, but it is hard to see. not sarcasm.

PEACE

I think such a person could or has emerged from hip hop, but it is hard to see. not sarcasm.
LOL i'm sorry but thats the funniest thing i've read all day.

now, I would say Dan Fante but he was a dick to me so I'll have to move on to the next...which is nobody. so many imitators, so little talent. there may never be another to write the next line, and even if there would be, I'm sure the authors would be swayed by his bukowskiesq mannerisms and chalk him in the can with all the other copy cats.

Being a dick never stopped anyone from being a good writer.
In fact the opposite might be true (?)...

I really don't know what "the next" means but when I read Jarhead I laughed out loud at the quality of writing (great, btw) and thought "there will be other books to read even though Buk is dead". It was a great relief.

I have read almost everything by Dan Fante and as enjoyable as it is to read, I don't find there is really anything that original about his writing. I can't help but think if he did not have that heritage of being John Fante's (who of course is a truly excellent writer) son, he would be lumped in with the thousands of other Bukowski immitators desperetely trying to make it. Sorry if that sounds a little indelicate, but I feel that may have been the case.

...if he did not have that heritage of being John Fante's (who of course is a truly excellent writer) son, he would be lumped in with the thousands of other Bukowski immitators desperetely trying to make it.
Well, it's a curse to take up your famous father's line of work. You see it a lot in music, where the offspring of famous musicians struggle against comparison all the time. The comparison is unfair, of course, but inevitable and unavoidable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back