the visual art thread! (1 Viewer)

I didn't see this thread. I wonder how I missed it.

You've seen In the Realms of the Unreal, haven't you? It should be listed in the Great Documentaries thread if it's not. I only had a slight problem with them animating his drawings, which seemed a bit sacrilegious to me.

That gallery by the way is my dream gallery for NYC. I've been trying to hit them up for years. One of the partners likes my work and the other is indifferent. Being indifferent is worse than when someone hates your art, I think. I'll try back with them again in a few months since I haven't showed them new stuff in about a year.

Anyway, since we are on the subject of Outsider Artists, two of my favorites are Bill Traylor and Carlo Zinelli.

is it hijacking this thread at this early moment to detail HENRY DARGER?
(or should we even re-name and dedicate it to him? - in fact, I've been thinking about a Darger-thread before.)

[...] In the Realms of the Unreal, [...] It should be listed in the Great Documentaries thread if it's not [...]
That one's available HERE, btw.

Other than esart, I did like the idea of making the images moving. They didn't do it in an undecent way.
Was also surprised that Elle Fanning was talking the girl's voice-over, at a time, when she wasn't that well known.

Anyway. What I found even more (or at least just as) interesting and revealing, was the 30min-address at and about the Henry-Darger-Archives HERE!!

Last edited:
You've seen In the Realms of the Unreal, haven't you? It should be listed in the Great Documentaries thread if it's not.

i have not seen it yet, i've been meaning to for awhile, i know it's on youtube, i'm watching it this weekend...

bill traylor has been my latest favorite artist since i discovered him a couple of years ago. i posted this trailer in another thread. hopefully it will be released sometime soon.

Last edited:
I saw when you posted this. I forgot about it. I wonder when this will be released! Of course, then everyone and their mother will be into him then and his work will show up on coffee mugs. Not that its a bad thing necessarily. I forgot if he had children, and if he does, then it would be beneficial to them.

By the way, I found a transcript of that Darger lecture here, in case you didn't want to sit through all the boringness of the lulls in the film.

She was the official curator of the Folk Art Museum in NYC - if you ever get a chance to go there, you should! It's one of the better museums in the city and you can really do it in a couple (3) hours, comfortably, without getting tired or bored. Not like going to the Met or something and feeling overwhelmed and knowing you'd have to go back a million times before you would be able to really take enough in.

Anyway, I didn't know her. I knew the next curator, Brooke Anderson. She was really nice too. She is no longer the curator, she moved to Los Angeles and is now working on opening a Folk and Outsider wing in LACMA. We shall see. I know they have a collection. Whether they will ever put it on view is another thing.

Last edited:
i love robert hughes. i don't agree with everything he says, but he's a voice of reason to me -

Nevermore (36 by 48 inches, oil on canvas, 2012), by Kristy Gordon at Cube Gallery in Ottawa. It’s like Winslow Homer (landscape artist) did a commission for Charles Bukowski.

kristygordon-nevermore-oil-48x36in.jpg

Doesn't that guy have anything better to do? Renoir's okay. But he sucks? That's pushing it. And it's America so dude's allowed to be a critic, a sucky one at that. His hostility is actually pretty funny.

i think renoir's earlier stuff is really good but his later stuff is shockingly bad. horrible, loud, sickening candy-floss colours and weak drawing.

he just got worse and worse. good example of an artist who died too late as opposed to too early.

Does he really think Renoir sucks, or is he just using shock tactics to say that maybe we should look at art and evaluate it on our own terms rather than accepting what history/academia/herd mentality tells us?

I felt like that was the message, especially with the over the top "picketers" and whatnot. But maybe he does just think Renoir sucks.

Renoir sucks - not exactly controversial is it, half his contemparies thought he was a bit naff - on a good day. The desire to be edgy can roll out when the cash rolls in and as cheesy and middle class as a fondue set most of it seems now, he has his place, I suppose (somewhere?) I do like a couple of his paintings.

Last edited:
He has a place here in Philly at the Barnes! But the Barnes, really, is just some rich guy's (Mr. Barnes) collection taken over by other rich people.

Reading that article, I suppose in his defense he was up front about wanting to be a commercial success. Becoming Establishment tout de suite, he saw as his good fortune. So, sometimes an artist gets to be what he wants to be. Saying it's ok not to like him because "he wasn't a very nice person" is a bit daft.

Painted by Manet in 1874 - Monet and his family in their garden:

upload_2015-10-14_11-44-13.png

Renoir shows up same day and wants to paint it too:

upload_2015-10-14_11-46-55.png

Monet said to Manet (could get confusing)
“He has no talent, that boy. Since he’s your friend, you should tell him to give up painting!”

From here:
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/gallery/2015/apr/14/manet-paints-monet/

It's been a bad week. First I have to sell my Thomas Kinkade collection to Al Fogel for pennies on the dollar and now I find out my Renior collection isn't worth shit either...

I'm sorry to hear that Mike. No American home should be without a Kinkade. I can let you have this set of authentic Kinkade placemats purchased at a fine arts gallery in Joplin, Missouri. $125 each, or $699 for six, including COA.

images-4-1.jpeg

These placemats are a blessing and very easy to clean!

William Kurelek, the painter, illustrator and author, grew up in Stonewall, Manitoba, and studied at the Ontario College of Art and at Instituto Allende in Mexico. As a young man, he was admitted to the Maudsley Psychiatric Hospital in London, England, where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia; the condition was eventually successfully treated there and at Netherne Hospital. A religious man, Kurelek was originally Ukrainian Orthodox but converted during his treatment to Roman Catholicism. Over his career, he painted a series of 160 works on the Passion of Christ. In another series of works depicting the Nativity, Kurelek placed the biblical story in Canadian settings. His paintings, often naïve in style but philosophical in outlook, are marked by meticulous craftsmanship. Several of his children’s books, including A Prairie Boy’s Winter, are modern classics that broadened his reputation within popular Canadian culture. In 1976, he was made a Member of the Order of Canada. He died in Toronto in 1977.

there are 5 other galleries but i think this is the best stuff. amazing nightmarish work.

make sure to use the zoom function

https://kurelek.ca/gallery/gallery-01

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back