There will be tweaking! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp

Founding member
I know that after the update there are a lot of things on here that aren't, how do you say, optimally cool. But I will be tweaking things over the coming days. If there's anything that you think looks shitty, or doesn't work properly, do be so kind as to let me know.

Hmmm, asking for shit. Good on you!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to update things - I do trust you know how to keep things in the best shape possible and that's an important service to those of use here. My only other comment for now is that this looks a bit like 2004 forums I stumble on after a google search (maybe it's just the font and spacing format - or maybe I just hate change like any other human). Willing to take things as they come.

Thanks again, mjp.

this looks a bit like 2004 forums I stumble on after a google search.
The year 2004 or the number 2004?

It's never going to be cutting edge, design-wise, because the good folks at vBulletin don't seem to give a shit about that kind of thing.

I like it. May take a little getting used to, but it looks good.

And yes, it is the only forum that matters.

Now we're all really tweaked. Great job, Young Man.

I do have a dumb question: is there any way to remove or hide the "subscribe to this forum" and the "RSS feed" icons? I never use those and they're visually annoying, at least to my stupid eye.

Is there a "Who is online" button that I'm missing?

Also, I noticed that links are showing up in the same font, and are not underlined in blue. I'm not sure if this can be tweaked, but it makes it harder to see a link.

Bill

It looks good and fresh. Congrats, mjp. It's a weird feeling like digging into the unknown, but I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.

looks great!

i can't imagine how much work goes on behind the scenes but thanks to everyone involved.

It looks wide - though maybe that's just my computer setting. The only thing that bothers me though is that I have no user CP - therefore have no idea where I am. Otherwise, cheers. Good job.

Somehow my WYSIWYG Editing doesn't work although it's on. Bold and Italics are in brackets, the smileys don't show up... I have no idea. I'm at the same laptop as usual. ???

It looks like all the reply + quote methods default to "quick reply."

If you click "Reply to Thread" you should get the full editor, or click "Go Advanced" when the quick reply box is open.

---

Hmm, now that I look at it you always have to click "Go Advanced" to get the full editor.

---

Except when using multi-quote.

---

Or something.

In any event, here's how the controls are set up, and they were the same before the upgrade:

attachment.php

Attachments

• controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 278
Err, yeah. I did "Go Advanced" before I posted the WYSIWYG thing and the editor box was there but didn't function.

Hm, I'll check again. Maybe I find out I have overlooked something.

The year 2004 or the number 2004?

It's never going to be cutting edge, design-wise, because the good folks at vBulletin don't seem to give a shit about that kind of thing.

I think it's mainly the font in the posting window, but the overall structure and content is great. So far I've been able to find everything fairly easily.

Good job!

I like it! Especially the way you can see back through the web cams of everyone when you go to the who's on line page. Some of you need to wear more clothes.

The new layout SUCKS big time.
It's only beaten by how the new handling sucks.
Or maybe not even by that.

Is that German for "thanks, mjp?"

no, just honesty.

The stupid BIGNESS of the symbols and the fonts, like if we were little children. Like the stupid comic-layout on recent operating systems. It's not mjps fault, it's just how screens are designed these days. I hate it.
And this wiiiiide screen minus the menu to the left. How will we tell newbies about the poem-database now?
And the superfunny speech-bubble-blurbs to mark quotations! ARRRRGGH!

I liked the old layout better, but I guess there was no way around updating the site.
Too bad there wasn't room for the pic of Buk in the train freight car.

I had a look at my profile, and on top of the message box it says, "Visitor Messages - About Me - Friends", but you can only see the upper 1/3 of the letters. I hope mjp or the mods can correct it.

When I click on "New Posts", and it says there are'nt any, I can get to see the posts from the last 24 hours if I click on the link, but in the old forum I got to see a list of all the threads I had'nt read since new posts were made in them. For instance, yesterday when I clicked on "New Posts" in the old forum, I had yet to read the new posts in forty-something threads, but now I can only get to see 18 threads from the last 24 hours, some of which have'nt any new posts for me to read. Is there a way I can get a list over all the threads which contains posts I have'nt read yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, mjp has done a good job so far of approximating the old style forum with the new software.

But it seems to me that the developers really haven't considered how drastic the changes would be for existing sites to implement. Sites like this, where the forum is pretty central to the whole place, well it makes no sense to completely rearrange and restyle it. Give us options to restyle and restructure sure, but force us to have a completely new layout? Not very clever of them.

But as mjp has said above, you either update or you get left behind without crucial security patches etc.

Bah. We'll get used to it, just in time for the next big update.

When I click on "New Posts", and it says there are'nt any, I can get to see the posts from the last 24 hours if I click on the link, but in the old forum I got to see a list of all the threads I had'nt read since new posts were made in them. For instance, yesterday when I clicked on "New Posts" in the old forum, I had yet to read the new posts in forty-something threads, but now I can only get to see 18 threads from the last 24 hours, some of which have'nt any new posts for me to read. Is there a way I can get a list over all the threads which contains posts I have'nt read yet?
I don't get you.
On my screen it shows the same as the old lay-out.

Or- I just don't see any differences... It's all good, give it a chance and some time.

Yeah, just remember, no one ever LOVES program changes. We are used to it and like it the way that it was. I'll never forget the complaints when, years ago, at the hotel that i worked at, we changed from a DOS based to a windows based program. Near Mutiny. Complaints everyday... After a couple months, they could not see doing it the old way.

Bill

I don't get you.
On my screen it shows the same as the old lay-out.

Or- I just don't see any differences... It's all good, give it a chance and some time.

Well, I just clicked on "New Posts" and up popped 8 threads, but I know there's over 40 threads which contains new posts I have'nt read. This was the case yesterday before the forum was upgraded. Maybe I only get 8 threads now because with the new upgrade we've started a fresh? That's certainly a possibility! It's no biggie though, I was just wondering. I'm sure we'll all get used to the new layout in time...and then we'll get a new upgrade. :)

This falls into the "aesthetic-only" category, but I think it would improve the look a bit. On the forums home page, there are designations of (for example):

Threads:

Having the number on the same row as the noun would remove a fair bit of white space (it looks to me that there is sufficient room to make this happen). Note that in the individual forums, the format is:

Replies: 36
Views: 97

There are, however, some examples of hard returns on the individual forum pages also.

Just a thought.

Purple "aesthetics over functionality" Stickpin

I had a look at my profile, and on top of the message box it says, "Visitor Messages - About Me - Friends", but you can only see the upper 1/3 of the letters.
Ugh. I didn't touch the layout on that page, so it's going to take a bit to figure out how to fix it.

When I click on "New Posts", and it says there are'nt any, I can get to see the posts from the last 24 hours if I click on the link, but in the old forum I got to see a list of all the threads I had'nt read since new posts were made in them.
That's still how it works. When you read a post a database entry is made marking it "read." Wait a day or two and see if you still aren't seeing all the new posts. You should be.

Maybe I only get 8 threads now because with the new upgrade we've started a fresh? That's certainly a possibility!
No, there is no limit to the number of "new posts."

Threads:

Having the number on the same row as the noun would remove a fair bit of white space (it looks to me that there is sufficient room to make this happen). Note that in the individual forums, the format is:

Replies: 36
Views: 97
The lines are wrapping because of your browser size. Make the window bigger - they are on the same line.

There are, however, some examples of hard returns on the individual forum pages also.
Yeah, so I've noticed. Must be a bug. So far I see it only in the first post of an old (pre-upgrade) thread.

Last edited:
The lines are wrapping because of your browser size. Make the window bigger - they are on the same line.

My window was full-size. But I solved the problem by ctrl [scroll down] on my mouse. The rows shifted to one, but my font size is about 9. Too old for that!

Anyway, not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back