'tirez a la ligne, celine' from chance press! (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
... will be our biggest gamble yet. sure, it's easy to publish bankable stars like mjp or steve hines, but it's way more risky to put out a short book of experimental prose collaborations, ESPECIALLY when the limited edition of the book will be the mostly costly production we have yet to undertake.

hence, this "teaser" (or "guerilla marketing," if you will), intended to drum up interest well before the release date, which we estimate will be sometime in April (although our accuracy is known to be wildly... er, inaccurate).

here's a pic of some of the preproduction work, just to whet your whistles.

4134247945_d6b811687f.jpg

we picked out the bookcloth for these books tonight... and (sorry to go all legmanla on you here) of course if you're interested in the progress of this project, i've been posting updates over at the CP website, which now features a blog.

4186378143_d54c925368.jpg

yeah - i didn't really price shop, since i didn't think there would be a huge difference either way, and i picked out of a swatch book i got in the mail today. asahi on the left, and cotlin on the right.

Talas is a great place. I have never been to the store, but have bought dozens of yards of book cloth, hundreds of book boards and gallons of PVA from them....

Bill

Interesting project. By its very nature, will all copies need to be the deluxe version, or will there also be a cheap-in-wrappers issue? Just doing some budget planning here.

Speaking of book cloth, I've been looking at some in art supply shops and it seems way too expensive. Guess I should shop on line. I'm also wondering if you could make your own bookcloth.

At Talas, bookcloth ranges from $12 a yard (by 40" or so), to $50 a yard for the crazy stuff. Most of what I use is $15 - $18 a yard.

You can make your own book cloth. What you do is get any cloth, and then fuse it to a thin paper. They sell a product called stay-bond or something like that that works with an iron.

I have made bookcloth a few times and it worked well. I dud a book about Leonard Cohen for Sore Dove. In addition, the clamshell for Post Office that I did was using a real flag material on the spine.

I plan on doing this more in the future. I have a job coming up for another publisher that will require a custom bookcloth on some copies.

Bill

p.s. The stuff that you probably saw at the art supply stores is from Lineco (yellpw packaging). They seem to buy it from Talasonline and then mark it up handily. Their prices are 4-5 times higher than Talas. That is for everything that they sell; PVA, needles, thread, bookcloth, bookboard. All massively overpriced. They are in most art supply stores.

Bill -- thanks for the info. I will check out Talas. The bookcloth I've seen in art supply stores is $20 a yard, and not very wide, and they usually only have one or two colors. I may experiment with making my own.

yeah, lineco is kind of a rip-off, although i guess it doesn't matter, since most of the people that buy their stuff are only making one or two copies of a book, so they don't need the bulk that you get from talas.

david - we will do a trade edition. at first, i was thinking that we should only do a deluxe edition, but decided against that. so yeah, there will be probably 40 copies of the trade that will sell for between $5 and $10 (rough guess).

Jordan, now I'm feeling like a tightwad for suggesting a wrappers edition, but I think it's good having that option for tightwads like me, or someone who really wants to read it but is on a budget. Actually, I'm a bit of both.

Then again, I may go whole hog and buy the deluxe.

so the new news with this book is that it's going to be released at the end of this month.

oh, and after cycling through a couple collaborators that didn't pan out, my co-author on this one is none other than that spankable star, STEVE HINES.

this will be our sixth major publication, and our third to feature mr. hines... he's just that damn good.

If you keep this up soon he'll be "too good" to be a moderator and quit to go live in Bermuda or something. So knock it off.

I don't know what tirez a la ligne, celine means - I failed German in high school - but I know it will be good.

it's a fucking multilingual pun, because we want everyone to know how fucking smart we are. it means "pull on the line, celine" - the book is based on a technique called "tireur a la ligne" (pulling on the line), or curiously translated as "larding" in english.

the special edition really is something. it's probably my favourite chance press book so far.

the design is artful yet sturdy, and the wraparound band is very clever and well done.

now I just have to get to the post office...

well, the book is FINALLY ready to sell!

deluxe edition is limited to 18 copies and is $45.
signed trade edition is printed in color using archival inks and contains a signed bookplate, yours for $14.
basic trade edition is printed in b&w on a laser printer and has no signed bookplate, otherwise identical to the signed trade edition - a measly $7. shipping is included in the US; $3 to canada/mex; $6 everywhere else.

payment by paypal to books *at* chancepress *dot* com; 1 -2 week shipping delay is possible depending on how many orders we get.

i should note that it's not up on the site yet, because we're giving our email list and buk.net a head start on ordering copies. if you want one, just send money straight to the books at chancepress email account.

EDIT: i should also mention that there's a special offer ONLY AVAILABLE through facebook. details are on the official chance press facebook page.

chance press loves you all.

to sweeten the pot a bit, I have a free offer!

the first 10 people from the forum to order this book will receive an original hand drawn portrait of Celine* done by me. absolutely free. doesn't matter what edition you buy.

*not guaranteed to actually look like Celine. heh.

I saw the book last weekend and it's quite the production. A bargain at the price.

Original art too? Now it's just a ridiculous offer!

just to let folks know, the drawings won't be arriving with the books. I'll be mailing them out from here. probably a month or so.

the drawings will stand alone as an individual piece, but will be connected. so I won't be sending them out until all are complete.

Thanks for reminding me that honesty is far more devastating than deceit. You boys don't play nice. In other words I just read this and loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back