UK People... shipping question (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
what's the cheapest way to ship a book to the US? some guy on ebay is trying to charge 19 GBP to ship a standard-size hardcover book to the US, which seems ridiculous to me. what service should I ask him to use?

what's the cheapest way to ship a book to the US? some guy on ebay is trying to charge 19 GBP to ship a standard-size hardcover book to the US, which seems ridiculous to me. what service should I ask him to use?

If he seems to be unreasonable, why not see about shipping it to someone on this forum that lives in the UK and have them ship it.

Bill

Royal Mail is quite pricey. But probably not that pricey. Should more likely be around £10 including packaging. A book will probably be small enough to be sent via Airmail Small Packet post.

Sounds liike you are being stung. I send plenty of things to the U.S and I reckon it should cost you for that weight no more than a fiver (£5) (8-10 dollars)

It's pretty common for sellers to inflate shipping prices as an added form of profit ($100 to "ship" a napkin, for instance ;)). It's generally a bad sign if they don't specify a shipping price in the auction. Always best to ask before bidding.

and started at $1 with probably a $900 reserve. I'm not a betting man, but I bet that it will not reach the reserve unless that reserve is about $200.

Bill

Shipping is free now, but what is funny is that the bidding is up to $504 now with no sign of that reserve. As I mentioned, he paid about $175 for this from me. I would think that $500 would satisfy him, but maybe not...

Who would pay $500 for a napkin? I was surprised that I sold it for $175. Unless it is someone that is just trying to figure out the reserve? Odd, I tells ya.

Bill

i didn't end up bidding on that item- the guy told me he could "surface ship" the book for about 10 GBP, but that it would be untraceable and would take 6-8 weeks to get to me. the annoying thing is that I knew he was lying, given that I ordered a less expensive copy of the SAME BOOK from a UK seller on ABE, and he charged me around $10 (USD) for shipping that took about 2 weeks. it's a shame too- the damn book went for $30, and the cheapest on abe is $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back