"Watchdog" & "Age" - Ole #1, 1964 (2 Viewers)

Two uncollected poems from Ole #1.

Fogel lists the magazine as containing only 2 poems, but there is a third, "Freedom," which appears in The Days Run Away.

I've also attached an advertisement (titled "Plea of Earnest") and Bukowski's bio from that issue.

Ole-#1,-1964---cover.jpg

Watchdog---Ole-#1,-1964.jpg

Age---Ole-#1,-1964.jpg

Bukowski-bio---Ole-#1,-1964.jpg

Plea-of-Earnest---Ole-#1,-1964.jpg

Maybe the "Plea of Earnest" is how we got Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts. ;)

Thanks, I've never seen that heartfelt plea before.

Why did they add the word "that" written with a pencil?

I'm guessing Blazek did that to all the copies. This was the first issue, and there were several typos and misprints that were hand-corrected.

There's also a seperate a sheet laid in to this issue where Blazek says something along the lines of 'I know there were a bunch of mistakes in the first issue, but I promise it'll get better in the next one, so please subscribe anyway.'

And on a side note, I have to say that the Ole series is one of my favorite of the literary mags. All the stuff has a nice edge to it.

Ha, that's great.

I remember reading about that "Plea of Earnest" in Screams from the Balcony but didn't know, of course, he really advertised for it that way.

OK third and final time posting this: thanks for the scans. If it doesn't post this time, I'll just send a PM... jeez.

And on a side note, I have to say that the Ole series is one of my favorite of the literary mags. All the stuff has a nice edge to it.

I would agree MDR. Michael Basinski [State University of New York at Buffalo] wrote a great essay about Blazek and his making poetry 'dangerous' -- OLE #1 was "dedicated to making poetry dangerous".. I have a draft of it somewhere, I think it was later posted on the Hold site.

And it has that $1 a copy look to it that blows my mind.
75 cents, actually. ;)

I would agree MDR. Michael Basinski [State University of New York at Buffalo] wrote a great essay about Blazek and his making poetry 'dangerous' -- OLE #1 was "dedicated to making poetry dangerous".. I have a draft of it somewhere, I think it was later posted on the Hold site.
Jason, I'd love to read that essay if you have a scan or a link to it.

Great stuff. $500 would have bought you a Bukowski novel manuscript. How many editors would pass that up now, even adjusted for inflation?

"Age" wound up - more or less - in The People Look Like Flowers At Last. "Watchdog" is still uncollected.

I wonder what is on the back of Age?
The title is What have you done?
I read God O God
as the room becomes red
and she kept screaming-the rest is a blur to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back