We May be Anal Here, but Look at This (1 Viewer)

Holy Moly, this is why I and others such as mjp don't consider ourselves audiophiles. I mean, I'd like to get the best out of my systems, but there is more sarcasm, misinformation and dissenting opinion to make one wonder if one's question was ever actually answered:

Oy

I love that forum because it's full of lunatics these guys: "The aluminum wire that was in my house was the noisiest wire I ever heard. And yes, I literally heard it through the music."

The few people over there who are music lovers (rather than electronic gadget or forum lovers) are great. Knowledgeable and really in to whatever kind of music they're in to. You can learn a lot from them. The rest of the people over there seem like a bunch of grey haired frat boys waving their dicks - and magic beans - around. Because that's what they are.

I know that you don't care at all for Grateful Dead, but there are some really insightful, respectful but critical discussions in those threads (Dylan also). I got embroiled in a controversy not long ago regarding some mixing/mastering effect that was added to the bass in a recent release and was ridiculed 12 ways to Sunday by a few members (one in particular) because I don't own high-end stuff. Someone asked the guy who mixed and mastered the release and he admitted that he had tried something new and that "your friend has excellent ears."

By and large, people who drop huge sums of money on stereo equipment think that it makes them more astute, not more pretentious.

Well of course. How can you even hear the bass without a $15,000 tube preamp and $300 power cables?! ;)

It's nice though when the engineer vindicates you. Though I'm sure that wasn't enough for them over there.

There were a few that heard what I was hearing, a few who didn't and a few who thought it sounded great. Problem is, that's not what happened that night in Berkeley, CA. It's an artifact of the production process. Said douche was among those who thought it sounded great on his high-end system. I don't deny the possibility that it did indeed sound great to him, but I want to hear what went down in August 1972, not some modern manipulation of that.

Even after the engineer's response was posted for all to read, a few folks thought I was simply an idiot.

" I can't hear it."
"This sounds great."

WTF. Just Gimme Some Truth.

"Power chords need to burn in." What are you saying? No thank you. I could barely make it thru a few sentences over there.

I think the whole idea of "burn in" came from the tube and speaker world. I never understood it with tubes, since the elements are in a vacuum, and I never noticed any difference in the sound of a tube amplifier after using it for a hundred hours. But what do I know. They certainly can burn out and stop working, so obviously they change somehow. And different tubes sound different in an amplifier, but it's because they're made differently, and they're amplifying the actual sound that's being produced by your guitar or turntable or whatever.

Speaker cones used to all be made of paper and rubber, and paper and rubber change in all kinds of ways for all kinds of different reasons, so you can definitely hear the difference in a speaker after it's been used for a while. But then the latest stereo speakers I bought have "woven aramid-fiber" cones (some kind of carbon fiber composite). So do those "burn in"? I have to think not, being carbon fiber and all, but again, what do I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back