Werner Herzog (1 Viewer)

My favorite Herzog story: he's showing a movie that is basically an hour of surrealistic 16mm film footage of burning oilfields in Kuwait (Lessons of Darkness) at the Berlin Film Festival in 1992, and when it's over, a large part of the audience starts booing and shouting at him, saying he was stylizing war and trying to make something horrible beautiful, etc., etc., and he stood there on the stage shouting back to them, "You're all wrong! You're all wrong!"

Anyone who can stand in front of an angry, apoplectic crowd that's basically losing its mind because it believes that your art is horrible and just tell them over and over that every one of them is wrong is okay by me.

I picked up a copy of Conquests of the Useless a few years back and there was some good stuff in there.

1. He gets picked up by a limo at some airport and the driver tells him she is wearing a fur coat with nothing under it.
2. He says he is going to Vacaville Prison in CA because the warden is a friend. He also says this warden was an ex-Playboy Playmate.
3. He says the warden had a birthday present for him. The birthday present was a stack of Ed Kemper crime scene photos.

So he must've been kicking around a Kemper documentary at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Kemper

Anyone who can stand in front of an angry, apoplectic crowd that's basically losing its mind because it believes that your art is horrible and just tell them over and over that every one of them is wrong is okay by me.

He probably got solid stoic internals from having to face this guy day in day out for years

Kinski raped his daughter for years. I can't look at that piece of shit anymore. I was/am a big Herzog/Wenders/Fassbinder fan and get we're all "just human," but I can't see myself ever being able to 're-watch any of Kinski's films.

"Herzog says that one of the native chiefs offered in all seriousness to kill Kinski for him, but that he declined because he needed the actor to complete filming"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back