What the shit? (1 Viewer)

Greetings, everyone. Long time lurker first time poster. I've used this place a source for my required Bukowski fix for years so I felt it was about time to join up. Quick summary: I got into Bukowski at 16 after reading an interview with Kurt Cobain where he named his favorite authors as Burroughs, Beckett and Bukowski. I dug Burroughs, never really got around to Beckett, but Bukowski immediately hit me right. It fit me like a second skin, like that comfortable feeling of home you get after a 12 pack or 6 or 7 glasses of wine.

I checked out "Run with the Hunted" from the library-- probably the ideal introduction IMO for the beginner since it moves chronologically--- and the childhood stuff from Ham on Rye hooked me immediately. This wasn't any revisionist romantic bullshit. It was the clear unvarnished truth, and the beauty in the ugliness felt right. Except for the beatings, I related to everything from the thin air and bitter taste in the mouth in kindergarten, to the cystic acne and desolation of standing outside the school dance like a visitor from another world.

From then on throughout my 20's, Bukowski has accompanied me on my journey through some great moments and some not so well thought out. (I once drunkenly dialed an ex-girlfriend's answering machine and read her "I taste the ashes of your death", thinking it would be romantic. She later called back and said "You're not going to kill me, are you?" I think she was only half joking.) I've had some health problems recently and haven't had so much as a sip of beer in three years, so I'm counting on you all to live it up for me.

Now with that out of the way just a couple of quick questions:

1. Can you get a signature that appears at the bottom of your posts or do you have to have some seniority to do that? I notice a few here have one and most do not.

2.What's the deal with organization of threads in the "All things Bukowski" forum? Topics from 2007 are mixed in with ones from yesterday. Is there any way I can change my settings to put things in the proper order?

Anyway, cheers, everyone!

1. Can you get a signature that appears at the bottom of your posts or do you have to have some seniority to do that? I notice a few here have one and most do not.

Yeah, some of the more established forum members have earned that privilege.

2.What's the deal with organization of threads in the "All things Bukowski" forum? Topics from 2007 are mixed in with ones from yesterday. Is there any way I can change my settings to put things in the proper order?

By default, the threads with the most recent replies are always near the top, regardless of when they were originally started.

If you want to, you can click on the 'Start Date' header to put the threads into start date order. Click once for newest first, once again for oldest first.

start_date.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back