Who wants to move into the digital era of awesomeness? (1 Viewer)

Marketing at its finest. Announce that somethign has sold 150,000 copies and then offer it free and you will find another million people that will take it. Then this person has a genuine best seller on his hands that he can try to sell for real money. Call this the Rush Limbaugh approach. He does not charge many of the stations that carry him, which is how he can claim 10,000 stations, or whatever he says. In his case, offer it free and then let the stations make a little money of it from local advertising, while he gets the big money for the national ads...

I think that this all started with that damn GRIT magazine. FTW.

Bill

Giving away a pdf or "ebook" version of a book has been around since usenet, before the web. It's not a bad approach, because there will always be people who buy a hard copy of a book they can get for free in electronic form. Forcing (or trying to force) people to tweet or make a Facebook post is a relatively new approach though. But the book has to be worth reading if you want to make any real-world sales, and that's where every "ebook" I can think of (with the exception of The Cluetrain Manifesto) has failed.

The internet is worse than the music business as far as follow-the-leader behavior is concerned. But then a lot of people have made a lot of money being the second (or tenth, or thousandth) person to do something.

This must be the 10 000 000th book trying to do what they are trying to do, as far as I understand their approach.

I posted the link because the book title as well as the slogan sound extraordinary idiotic to me. Especially "The digital era of awesomeness". "Innovative Thunder" as a name for a creative team is also very ... nice.

But it is not my first language, maybe that's why it is sounding so strange to me.

No, you nailed it. It is strange in English too.

I would have preferred they call it The Super Terrific Awesome Number One Book, but maybe that was already taken.

Bill

Quote: "This book helps traditional advertising and marketing people master the step into the digital era, providing tools to create campaigns that reach the people of today." What a graceful sentence...

If ad and marketing people haven't already stepped into the digital era, they don't need tools, they are tools. It's obvious to everyone from CEOs down to janitors that's where everything is headed. Like it or not. I only rant against it because I have to piss and moan about somthing, and digital awesomeness is an easy target.

I'd rather read a free book on how to reach the people of yesterday. Marketing to the past -- now that's a wide open field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back