Woody Allen Movies (1 Viewer)

Gerard K H Love

Appreciate your friends
Vicky Christina Barcelona

It is funny to me when I see a Woody Allen movie because I can tell it is a Woody Allen movie by the dialog. The movie was funny and the acting was fine but the only one who didn't sound like she was in a Woody Allen movie was Penelope Cruz. Maybe that is why she won an Oscar.

penelope-cruz-picture-1.jpg

I love Penelope Cruz (as an actor, obviously ;) )but I'm never convinced by her in English-speaking roles. Hopefully this will change all that.

I can always tell a Woody Allen movie because he's usually the leading man, who is fucking some young girl who wouldn't even glance at him in real life (if he weren't "Woody Allen").

That's correct, but now he's not in his movies anymore. Not since he married his girlfriend's daughter. Was she 12 or 13 when they started dating. He is still a great writer. Now that I think about it....in his movie Everything You've Always Wanted to Know About Sex he didn't cover pedophiles, did he?

Whoa whoa whoa......

Let's trash Woody Allen for all the right reasons.

Which include his adaptations (what - you say direct theft ?) of virtually every important idea Ingmar Bergman ever had.

Also, his b&w font during opening credits. With snazzy jazz.
Fuck that classic reference to the GOOD OLD DAYS.
Allen was a talented comic/director who never broke ground but
certainly honored the ground of his predecessors.

Woody Allen met his STEP-DAUGHTER for the first time when she was 18 years-old. Andre Previn was her father before then because Mia Farrow had decided to adopt the entire sub-Saharan African Plains. She was Angelina before Angelina !)

So, Woody did not raise her with Mia.
Now, that still leaves the weirdness of a 50-plus year old man and
the impossible romance of an 18 year-old, but he's not criminal
in the same sense as ROMAN POLANSKI

ROMAN POLANSKI - definitely guilty of much worse than Woody in my opinion

I do like Woody Allen and he is not a perv.
That's funny about Mia being Angelina before Angelina.
Now Roman Polanski will be another thread. I read his auto biography and he makes it clear that girl wanted it and brought to him, thanks to the Quaaludes.

i really enjoy woody allen's movies. the ones that i've seen anyway. haven't seen vicky christina yet though. my favorites include, but are not limited to: bananas, sleeper, annie hall, manhattan, radio days, and match point.
and he's probably no more of a dirty old man than bukowski, or the rest of us for that matter...

Woody Allen met his STEP-DAUTHER for the first time when she was 18 years old.

So, Woody did not raise her with Mia.
Now, that still leaves the weirdness of a 50-plus year old man and
the impossible romance of an 18 year-old, but he's not criminal
in the same sense as ROMAN POLANSKI

ROMAN POLANSKI - definitely guilty of much worse than Woody in my opinion

I'm not so sure of this. Every account I've ever read says Woody met Soon-Yi when she was 10 years old. Since he and Farrow never married, he was never even her step father and her adoptive father said "Allen was never a father figure to Soon-Yi." However he certainly knew her long before she turned 18. It was nude photographs of a teenage Soon-Yi that Farrow found that led to the whole eventual scandal.

Correct me if I'm wrong. In other news, I really like "Match Point," probably my favorite Allen movie, but maybe that's just because of Scarlett.

Woody Allen was a great movie maker (a long time ago in galaxy far, far away) and a pervert, why can't he be both?

That`s not my man , a pervert who fuck his adoptive daughter ! I`m a single father ( part time mother ) show the kid`s the right way what`s important in the world and don`t forget
humanity . Social thinking....

Good one nervas. Woody Allen did say that Polanski did something wrong but did pay his dues. Thirty three years ago was a very long time ago and California doesn't need to spend the money on that anymore.

Had a bad day at work so keep that in mind. I wouldn't cross the street to watch a Woody Allen film festival for free. Not my cup of steam to watch a neurotic, neutered vogue-intellectual play pander games to the expedient. Perhaps I'm missing the point with his catalog of film but it's a point I'm willing to miss. I'll remove the spurs now and politely bed down for the night.

Funny choice of words (interesting, not ha ha); the line "the prisoners received one hot meal a day - a bowl of steam" (from Take the Money and Run) is among the funniest lines in all of film to me. I can see how you'd really dislike Allen's genre; pseudo-intellectual slapstick doesn't appeal to everyone. It's one of those things that either is really funny to me or I'm not in the mood for it at all.

I've been sick the past week, some sort of hell-created chest cold. I've been coughing like crazy, and the coughing has been keeping me from sleeping. so I can't concentrate and I'm cranky. can't read, write, etc. so I've been watching a lot of Marx Brothers movies. I love the Marx Brothers. and while watching these movies I'm reminded of how much I like Woody Allen movies.

and while I understand the criticism of his movies and especially his character as a human being, the Woody Allen I see in movies works for me. really works.

manhattan was on the other day and catching it for the, say, fourth time, it was really fucking good. his views on women and relationships really works for me too.
then again, i'm going through some rough times with women, so maybe it hit home a bit more...

I've been sick the past week, some sort of hell-created chest cold. I've been coughing like crazy, and the coughing has been keeping me from sleeping. so I can't concentrate and I'm cranky. can't read, write, etc. so I've been watching a lot of Marx Brothers movies.

You found the perfect remedy. Now when it comes to The Marx Brothers I'd crawl on my hands and knees across the street and pay inflated ticket prices to watch that film festival.

Funny choice of words (interesting, not ha ha); the line "the prisoners received one hot meal a day - a bowl of steam" (from Take the Money and Run) is among the funniest lines in all of film to me. I can see how you'd really dislike Allen's genre; pseudo-intellectual slapstick doesn't appeal to everyone. It's one of those things that either is really funny to me or I'm not in the mood for it at all.
I agree with you. Stavrogin didn't use the sarcasm font
I've been sick the past week.........whining and complaining,which is not normal for Canadians.... so I've been watching a lot of Marx Brothers movies. I love the Marx Brothers. and while watching these movies I'm reminded of how much I like Woody Allen movies.

and while I understand the criticism of his movies and especially his character as a human being, the Woody Allen I see in movies works for me. really works.
The Marx Brothers remind me of Woody Allen and vice versa, too. The Seinfeld TV show always reminds me of Woody Allen.

manhattan was on the other day and catching it for the, say, fourth time, it was really fucking good. his views on women and relationships really works for me too.
then again, i'm going through some rough times with women, so maybe it hit home a bit more...

I just watched Manhattan and I like the movie but I don't agree with his take on women and relationships all of the time. Which probably has more to do with Woody Allen the man verses Gerard the man.(-me not being a neurotic scrawny Jewish intellectual genius screen writer director.)

dammit, man! you cut out all the dramatic tension of my story! why nothing but Marx Brothers movies could help me!

don't ever become an editor!

but if you do, let me know. I have some stuff I can send you...heh

I had completely forgotten about this thread until this week.

Anyway - if I sounded dismissive of Allen earlier, it was because I was wearing my critical-thinking helmet and judging his work solely against Bergman. And all the other greats. Woody Allen vs. Cinema itself.

Sometimes that helmet fits too tight. Let me re-phrase....

He is not an insignificant director, really. I have laughed my ass off at so many. many films by him. He perfectly wrote and portrayed the insecure New Yorker looking at life and freaking out. When it comes to romantic comedies, he is the best, I think. (Neil Simon ? No thanks.)

So, he imitated Bergman, but still pulled off some funny, sentimental stories. My faves are "Sleeper", "Radio Days" and "Mighty Aphrodite". Didn't care for "Match Point" at all. But that was more in the character, rather than the script, which had some decent moments.

dammit, man! you cut out all the dramatic tension of my story! why nothing but Marx Brothers movies could help me!

don't ever become an editor!

but if you do, let me know. I have some stuff I can send you...heh

I realized at the time of my multi-quote, that I bit off more than I could chew and I knew I should have left more of your whining in there. I must have been drinking or something at the time.:(

To me, "Manhattan" is his masterpiece, with "Broadway Danny Rose" just behind.
The black&white pictures from the Allen's romantic NYC are incredibly beautiful.
This two movies are like a sort of transition from one "égérie" to another (Keaton to Farrow). But, i'm an "amateur" from the Farrow years. I like his acting and how Woody filmed her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woody Allen is a genius, no doubt. I love his films (most all of them anyway). Some of them are downright brilliant, timeless masterpieces! But he's still an inappropriate perv, which is too bad. It doesn't make me like his work any less. It makes me like him less. It's a good thing I don't actually know him or live next to him. Same goes for Polanski.

Love that lobster scene above.

Here's a favorite of mine:

Buk says in interviews that he dug Woody. I sometimes wonder whether some of these lines from Pulp show Allen's
influence: "Existence was not only absurd, it was plain hard work"; "Somehow, it was all tying together: space, death, Sparrow, stiffs, Celine, Cindy, Bass. But I couldn't quite fit the pieces together. Not yet"; "Here, basically, I was sitting between Space and Death. In the form of Woman. What chance did I have"?

not a great movie, but I loved it.
Yeah - this one delivered just like it should. It had just the right amount of wistfulness and longing for another era. You didn't have to be an expert on the Left Bank-era of Paris to get the jokes. I would agree, not a great film but a really good summer movie. And I hereby decree that Marion Cotillard should wear wispy little flapper-era dresses for all of her future roles.... sci-fi.... biblical epics.... whatever.

And I hereby decree that Marion Cotillard should wear wispy little flapper-era dresses for all of her future roles.... sci-fi.... biblical epics.... whatever.

The kid in me thinks women look their finest in the tightest pants they could possibly wear but the old-fashioned man in me thinks a woman looks her best in a dress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back