Yellow Brick Road - No. 4 - 1975: This One Poet (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
The fact that Martin changed the name of the poem title (in Love is a Dog From Hell) from This One Poet to This Poet demonstrates how inept he was in understanding how people tell stories. The format in Love is a Dog From Hell is almost unreadable and the second stanza has the stench of Martin's unnecessary meddling all over it... Remember, Love is a Dog From Hell goes back to 1977...

IMG_20180119_0001.jpg

The second stanza changes don't seem that consequential, The Butcher is just putting things in, what seems to him, to be their logical order. Ha. "Look at this Barbara, he has them restringing the piano before they clean it out! It beggars belief!" But unnecessary changes, yes. Not destructive in this case, but unnecessary.

Where he really raped this one is in the idiotic presentation in Love is a Dog From Hell. If he did that (and based on this, we'd have to assume he did).

For what it's worth, Bukowski reads the Black Sparrow version at the Baudelaire's reading.

"Not destructive in this case, but unnecessary. "

I agree MJP, but when I read it, I was thinking about a technical writer's job -- a job I never got. Martin is a great technical editor, providing the correct instructions for fixing a piano that has been puked in with the correct order of steps. I know it's small, but considering how early it is, it just made me mad.

Thanks for responding...

For me, the value of the Black Sparrow poetry collections decreases constantly - with the exception of The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills. The reason is simple: That one was edited by Sanford Dorbin.

What is the value of a poem if you don't know who wrote it? If you don't know which lines are legit and which are not?

For me, the value of the Black Sparrow poetry collections decreases constantly - with the exception of The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills. The reason is simple: That one was edited by Sanford Dorbin.
Wait a minute. Sanford Dorbin. Huh? Who's that? I thought Martin edited all the Bukowski BSP.

I looked up Dorbin and found out who he was/is. Just curious as to what anyone around here's take on the man was/is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back