Anyone ever heard of Caveman Press? (Down The Silver River with One Shoe Off) (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
I've got a friend who has an original, signed, unpublished poem called
Down The Silver River with One Shoe Off
For no reason I can discern,
I googled it this morning, just for shabangs.....
Lo and Behold, a weird title on Amazon popped up
With Buk as the author-> 1973 Caveman Press.

Ok fellow Buk nuts, Have you ever heard of this press, out of New Zealand I think. Maybe my friend's poem isn't, afterall, really unpublished
Thanks for any and all info, because I am at wits end trying to learn more

according to my notes, that poem appeared in Cave #4 in 1973. I do have a copy :D

Reeves, Trevor, ed., Cave. Dunedin, New Zealand, n° 4, 1973.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are my notes:

-"The hippies and the killer"
Cave n 4, 1973
-"Down by the sea, the beautiful sea" [in Open]
Cave n 4, 1973
-"A hot tip on the future"
Cave n 4, 1973
-"Down the silver river with one shoe off"
Cave n 4, 1973

All uncollected as of yet, save the one pub. in Open All Night.

edit: unless they were pub. in Come On In, which I haven't read yet.

mjp,
I think those titles are missing in the old database!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you guys are good and fast,... and those titles are missing in the database,... hop to it mjp!:D
And hey cirerita, I'd love to see your notes....
Any chance of you parting with Cave #4 ????

Wait until I tell my friend it's been published....
Maybe her manuscript is an earlier version of the poem?
Is there any way cirerita you could scan the page that it appears in?
I thought I knew a bit, but never even heard of Caveman Press...
Ah, I guess it's true->the more you know
The more you find the less you know

as always, I don't have the mag., I just have copies of the poems B pub. there. I could scan the poem, certainly... guess in which binder is it? :D

You're the man cirerita....
A scan would be great.

How many binders do you have?!

I think you ought to host a Buk party and all of us nuts can come to your place and stay beyond our welcome! smoke, look at your binders,
drink, look at your binders,
compare notes, trade stories, and just make a good general ruckus.
So what's your address and what date looks good for you:D

I'm noting these things that need to be added, but I've stopped updating the old database. I had to, since I've already started work on the new database, and it's based on the same data. So anything I added to the old database now, wouldn't show up in the new one. If that makes any sense.

it does make sense and it's NOT boring :D

there it goes! zoom in and you'll be able to read it properly.

silver-river.png

Well, hot damn!
That's her 'unpublished' poem she bought at a Cahill estate auction
Word for word
Nothing like buying something under false pretenses...
Better check the other 'unpublished' ones

Thanks man

yeah, it was published back in 1973, but those hard-to-find pieces are usually called "uncollected". maybe your friend will feel better if you tell her it's uncollected as of 2006!

Then maybe after the last collection in 2007 works can really be classified as uncollected or unpublished...

I believe there is one more. In the press release Ecco put out after their purchase of the Bukowski rights there was mention of X number of books, and there's one more to go to reach that number.

Honestly, I was excited to read the first few posthumous books as they came out under Black Sparrow. But now...they kind of depress me. They remind me of Jimi Hendrix records released after his death that are nothing but trumped up outtakes and B material. It stinks a bit of profiteering.

You could have easily boiled the five Ecco books (yeah, I know, the fifth is still a year away, but unless they are saving the best for last, which seems unlikely, I'm going to assume it will be like the rest of their releases) into two respectable books, and left the filler in the archives.

mjp said:
You could have easily boiled the five Ecco books (yeah, I know, the fifth is still a year away, but unless they are saving the best for last, which seems unlikely, I'm going to assume it will be like the rest of their releases) into two respectable books, and left the filler in the archives.
I agree, but I'll take what i can get...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back