the bukowski tapes

Discussion in 'Video, audio, film and other media' started by andrerene46, Aug 24, 2007.

1. roni

roni Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

that's why I don't believe, this is the full version just with the music cut out.
    Well, the MAIN reason I believe this is:
    they could make more money with a DVD release of Barfly plus one of the Buk-Tapes (complete). So obviously there was a problem, maybe in terms of copyright. I dunno.

I remember, there was a VHS-Tape-version of the 'BUK-Tapes' in Germany - With the subtitles (which weren't bad btw).

maybe ebay pays them for taking things off the free market ...
  2. mjp

mjp Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Warner Bros. must have licensed the Bukowski tapes, because they had four chapters on the US release of Barfly too. I would think the reason for the edit was strictly due to space limitations. I don't know if you can get 4 hours onto one DVD...if you can, then it must be some other reason.

If the new release is even WB...maybe it's not...
  3. Johannes

Johannes First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Ah, I saw this one on amazon and wondered about the 2-DVD-version. If I didn't miss it, there were no infos about sticking the Buk-Tapes in. Where did you get that information, roni?

Strange about the 180, tho. Maybe they threw out some readings?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  4. roni

directly from the distributor.
    They say it comes out September 23rd.
    We're already in negotiations about the price.

But I was wrong on the Buk-Tapes playing time: it's only 120 min. Too bad.
  5. Johannes

Ah, ok. But why not release them as a whole together?

Still a nice idea.
  6. roni

Yeah, I too don't see their point!

They are also bringing out a one-DVD-version of Barfly then.
    So, it woulda been MUCH more money in one DVD of Barfly PLUS a two-DVD-set of the WHOLE Buk-Tapes.

I can't believe, they didn't see this. So the reason must be another. My guess is still, that there were copyright-issues in using the whole material. Nothing else makes the slightest bit of sense. (to me that is.)
  7. Bukfan

Bukfan "The law is wrong; I am right" Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

The new 'Barfly' edition on Amazon is delayed too. I've tried to order it and they've send me an email twice saying it was delayed, last time was today. They said they hoped I would have it before Sept. 21, but it'll probably be delayed again...
  8. Bukfan

Bukfan "The law is wrong; I am right" Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

The Charles Bukowski Tapes by Barbet Schroeder are now on Youtube, all 3 hours 51 min. of it:

9. roni

have i ever told you about the undeniable fact, that the Bukowski-Tapes are a huge bunch of pearls of wisdom?
    d gray likes this.
  10. skiroomalum

skiroomalum Prospect

I'm almost ashamed to say but I lifted the double VHS set from Tower Video on Sunset when I worked there in 89. Watched countless times and lost them in a move. Back when I lived inside a bottle.
  11. d gray

d gray tried to do his best but could not Redwood Original Unholy Ones

i always thought a transcript of that whole thing would be great!
  12. roni

there you go baby.

Attached Files:

13. hoochmonkey9

hoochmonkey9 Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

ubuweb now has the tapes online... and since the dvd is out of print, here's an fyi: the link on ubu is downloadable.
  14. This is too cool, really.

I reviewed Barfly when it came out. Wanted to see it again so put it in my Netflix queue. It's been in a permanent limbo of unknownness for two or three years. Where'd it go?
    Skygazer likes this.
  15. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Prospect

Most of the people who watched in the past have forgotten how good it is, got sober, "grew up," got married, got a better job, got a DUI and couldn't go to the bar every night, went to mandatory AA, and subsequently got Religion!
    Skygazer likes this.
  16. mjp

mjp Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

It went out of print, some time ago. So unless it's released again, it's unlikely Netflix will be able to offer it again on DVD.

It isn't available for streaming on Netflix or Amazon right now, but those streaming statuses are always changing.
  17. esart

esart caged wildibeast First 9 Prospect Unholy Ones

I have it on VHS if you'd like to borrow it.

Or I can recite it to you. (I used to know it by heart once upon a time.)
    hank solo, Black Swan and mjp like this.
  18. hank solo

hank solo Reaper Crew First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

USED TO??? :oo
  19. You're very kind but, unfortunately, I have nothing to play a VHS tape. I could stare at it for a long time. That would probably be pretty entertaining in itself.

Was it in Hollywood or in a letter where he predicted it would play at night on TV from time to time and people would discover hidden meanings or new meanings in it?
  20. roni

I must state that I'm sorry:
    when I answered to another post just a couple of minutes ago, and linked to my shop, I had no idea, that there'd be another thread tonight, to give me a second reasonable apropos to do so. So, please take my word for it: This is NOT 'advertising-night'!

but:
    'Barfly' is officially available again.
    But that's in Europe.
  21. Skygazer

Skygazer Prospect

22. Johannes

Black Swan, Bukfan, d gray and 2 others like this.
  23. roni

that's fuckin awesome.
    Thanks Jo!