The Ordinary Madness of Charles Bukowski - BBC doc

Discussion in 'Video, audio, film and other media' started by cirerita, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Ponder

Ponder "So fuck Doubleday Doran" Redwood Original Unholy Ones

I guess this will also be remained unsolved...

2. roni

roni Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

well, this is the missing issue of WRITE-magazine.

3. cirerita

cirerita First 9 Redwood Original

btw, the doc is available in the link below without the embedded info.

http://thebox.bz/

4. poptop

poptop Prospect

Haven't seen this book before either, but it looks like a hardcover. Blow it up and it appears to be a three word title (the first mostly obscured) with the second word ending in an apostrophe s and the last word Live. But it doesn't match any Bukowski title that I know of. I too would guess that it's on him but not by him. The picture on the cover is one that I've seen before and it's of the younger Bukowski, the head used only. The book itself is a mystery. Good luck.

5. hank solo

hank solo Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights Reaper Crew First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Looking again at the still, comparing the size of the mystery item with the recognisable books there,
    I'd say you are probably onto something suggesting that it may be an audio cassette.

I get the impression that the edge actually reads 'BUKOWSKI LIVE' so it's probably just some short run bootleg, probably of the Hostage reading or the Viking or some such.

Cover from a Sam Cherry photo perhaps?

Best guess. I'll ask the spirits later :cool:

6. mjp

mjp Tell the children the truth Reaper Crew First 9 Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

I was thinking the same thing (bootleg). There were only a couple of legit cassette releases, and that isn't one of them.

7. David

David Prospect Unholy Ones

That must be a cassette since a smaller version of that drawing is on the back of my "Screaming Life of Bukowski" cassette.

8. cirerita

cirerita First 9 Redwood Original

David,

what's on that "Screaming Life of Bukowski" cassette?

9. David

David Prospect Unholy Ones

Tape 1 is "an hour of Radio/TV profiles of Bukowski from around the world" Tape 2 "Bukowski talks in-depth about his life of Booze, Loose Women, Job Madness, The Track, Writing and Fighting the world!!"
    I think I got this many years ago from that Rikki Hollywood guy in England. (By the way, who IS that fellow?)

10. Ponder

Ponder "So fuck Doubleday Doran" Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Rikki "Scrapbook"!

11. Bukfan

Bukfan "The law is wrong; I am right" Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

It sounds like an interesting tape. Too bad the content's not on CD too.
    Yes, Rikki Hollywood published the "Bukowski Scrapbook" after Buk's death. A big part of it are Buk obituaries taken from various newspapers, some Buk poems, Buk book reviews and various articles about Buk. Nothing too exciting, unfortunately.

12. hank solo

hank solo Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights Reaper Crew First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Ah ha. Nearly 7 years since cirerita's original post and one of these tapes is currently for sale in Australia via eBay.

The recording is described as being a recording of a Bukowski reading in Los Angeles in 1980, although from the track listing I would strongly suspect that the recording is in reality a bootleg of the 1972 San Francisco reading (originally released on vinyl as 'Poems and Insults' by Bitter Lemon Records in 1975 and then again as 'Bukowski Reads His Poetry' by Takoma Records in 1980).

BUKOWSKI_LIVE_CASSETTE_BOOTLEG.jpg bukowski_poems_and_insults_vinyl.jpeg Bukowski_reads_his_poetry_tacoma.jpeg

mjp likes this.
  13. roni

no other person than buknet's own Rainman could remember and provide this information.

14. roni

I may have something like a 'Déja écrit' or whatever French-speaking-people would name it, but: This was our own Rainman at work again!

(and he's doing this without any whimper and just between the lines.)