100 members (1 Viewer)

No. Just the stock AM radio and half a tank of twenty year old gas. What else do you need, really?

I thought we'd rigged it so I could win?

Darn. Can I get the sticker back at least?

prize_reliant.jpg

...and all to stay on the good side of all the chicks on the forum who would have been offended by the alternative. Good job on that for sure.

I for one am okay with being censored and I know I need it sometimes.

That's much better.

Now we are coming up on 60,000 posts and 2000 members. It's like a city in here.

In 3 short years.

I don't count. I'm like the dollar coins the bar owner puts into the jukebox to make the rummies fill up the hopper with their dimes and quarters.

(It occurs to me that line is a little cryptic and probably needs some explanation. My dad owned a bar in St. Paul when I was a kid. One Saturday I was there -- I was often there, apparently the laws were a little...different...back then, or more likely, no one was paying attention -- anyway, the jukebox man came to change out some of the records and take his cut of the money. But when they were splitting up the money - which was mostly dimes and quarters - he pushed about a dozen silver dollars into my old man's pile. When I asked why, he told me the bar owners always used silver dollars to get the music started. Apparently it was some kind of understanding or arrangement bar owners had with the jukebox guys back then, and the silver dollars went back to the bar. So after the jukebox guy left I asked my dad, "What if someone besides you puts a silver dollar in there?" He said, "Then I'd get it," and he smiled. But then he said, "Look around man, no one in here is going to put a dollar in a jukebox." So there's a long explanation for a one-liner.)

Neither. My memory has betrayed me again.

It was around 1967 or 68 that I met the jukebox man, so there were (old) silver dollars in circulation, but Google (and now, in retrospect, my memory) tells me jukeboxes of that era only took nickles, dimes and quarters.

A further search tells me that I was probably remembering red quarters...

These are so-called 'house' or 'shill' coins that a bar will use in a jukebox. The idea is that people won't feed the jukebox unless it's already throbbing. So the bar employees are given painted quarters to put in it. Later, when the machine is emptied by the jukebox vendor, it is obvious which ones were put into the machine by patrons and which ones by the bar employees. The bar keeps all of the red quarters and gets a share of the silver ones.

So there you go.

On an unrelated note, I carry an 1879 Morgan dollar in my pocket every day. I am quite sure it is not just a quarter painted red.

dollar.jpg

1879-S, reverse of 1879, so it's a common date. A relatively smaller number of 1879-S Morgans were struck using the reverse dies from 1878 and are worth somewhat more.

Well, I broke it out of a coin holder to stick in my pocket, so the value of it as a collectible coin doesn't really concern me. I value and enjoy its history. Think about where it's been! And it was made here in California, so how much cooler could it be? Everyone should carry something that's 137 years old around with them every day. Keeps you grounded.

Any time I see a coin or a comic book or a baseball card in one of those sealed plastic tombs I want to break it out and touch it all over with my filthy fingers...

Now that you are talking about red painted quarters, I believe that I've seen some around and never really questioned the reason. It makes perfect sense.

jukeboxes of that era only took nickles, dimes and quarters.
Now that I think of it, that makes the story even funnier, because I know for sure that my old man did make the comment that no one in the bar would put in the largest coin - which turns out now to be a quarter.

I'm sure there were some non-shill quarters in there, but it gives you some idea of the Ritziness of the place...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back