1995 review of PULP (1 Viewer)

"This is Hammett and Chandler retooled by a Quixote-era Cervantes--a bowery Borges or skid-row Pynchon. Or, shifting medium, Pulp is a painting by Rene Magritte or Remedios Varo--on black velvet."

Oh please.

On the other hand, it could become a new hobby, pulling a random sentence from that laughable mass of pretense and mocking the LITERATURE professor who wrote it:

Rhetorically speaking, I eschew ending reviews with loaded quotations drenched with pathos, but given Bukowski's recent exit, it seems worth forgoing any expository fastidiousness here.

This for when he Googles himself: William Anthony Nericcio.

William Anthony Nericcio using his full name just like assassins, serial killers and other menaces to society.
The review was long winded. Did he recently stop posting here at bukowski.net due to not having any paragraph breaks?

Rekrab: That's a fine explanation. Hits the point.

(of course, this does NOT go for "D. Stephen C." or "Harry Dean Stanton"!
and what about capitals, like in "William S. Burroughs" or "Hunter S.Thompson"?)

ps:
my own middle name is a mess! It's "Wolfgang". Don't you laugh!

Roni: as soon as I posted that, I knew I'd be eating my words, that someone would give examples of unpretentious writers with three names, like HST.

What I should have said was: "Not all writers with three names are pretentious, but most pretentious writers use three names."

Initials don't count. Middle names used to distinguish between two writers with the same first and last names don't count.

Hyphenated double last names get into other issues unrelated to pretention, especially when it's a writer (or anyone) using both their own and their spouse's last names. That's an unfortunate trend.

(I really ought to think twice before I post anything like this as I am no doubt going to offend someone. As I often tell my wife: ignore me: I'm full of shit.)

[...] "What I should have said was: Not all writers with three names are pretentious, but most pretentious writers use three names." [...]

No, it was all fine!
I fully understood the meaning and am sure everybody else did too!
And, as I said, I LOVED that saying!

To give these pseudo-examples was not complaining about your statement!

It was, well, ain't sure, but really one of my first thoughts was: how would David (not you, but D.S.C.) feel about this said? So I just wanted to put it into relations.

But I'll sure stand to my saying: What you said about pretentious authors hits the point/mark/...!

(I really ought to think twice before I post anything like this as I am no doubt going to offend someone.

babe! you have NOT offended anyone!
it's All right!
Please, don't think too much about some of my occasional postings, okay?
Loveya!

No, it was all fine!
[...]
To give these pseudo-examples was not complaining about your statement!
[...]
babe! you have NOT offended anyone!
it's All right!
Please, don't think too much about some of my occasional postings, okay?
Loveya!
I didn't think you were complaining. I just knew that there would be 3 name writers I respect, like HST.

As for thinking too much, that's my mode. Not neceessarily thinking clearly or deeply, just too much. Once in a while I'll take a risk and do something without thinking and am surprised that it comes out well.

you gotta re-qualify it - how about writers with 3 names who refer to
themselves in the 3rd person

Stephen Ernest Hines doesn't like the implication of that statement. Stephen Ernest Hines is insulted and he is considering legal action post-haste.

voila! :D

edit - my attorney has advised me to re-re-qualify -
writers with 3 names who refer to themselves in the 3rd person EXCLUDING those
living in any maritime province.

William Carlos Williams, Edgar Allen Poe...or my favourite, Boutros Boutros Ghali

"Outside diplomatic circles, Boutros Boutros-Ghali remains famous mostly for his silly sounding name. "Boutros" is the Arabic version of Peter, and Ghali in English means precious"

This will now be my publishing name: Peter Peter Precious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back