5 Thousand Bucks (1 Viewer)

M

MULLINAX

Greetings!

I have spent 5 grand on Buk stuff this year after 25 years of only buying used and stained paperbacks. I now want it all - especially signed first editions.

What ever happened to Gloria-Peckham Krellner?

What did you buy? Was it on ebay?

Also, I think that it was Georgia Peckham-Krellner (although I'm not 100% sure of the last name). Pam Miller is on this forum. Maybe she will know. They were close friends.

Bill

I got about 9 signed books, about 8 broadsides (5 signed), a signed manuscript poem, an unsigned printout of a poem, about 24 New Years Greetings (hard- and softcover), about 10 magazines (the "suppressed" Oro Madre was really ugly and poorly done), many unsigned hardcovers, books about Buk, audio CDs, the Factotum film, Born Into This, posters and poems in poster form, you name it, sometimes in multiple copies. And a hardcover thick book of illustrated stories by Schultheiss, also signed. I'll have to make a list and post it here.

Previous to my serious collecting I had about 100 books and CDs by and about Buk, all stained with beer, coffee and tomato sauce. The newer "quality" stuff is in a separate enclosed bookcase.

I must have over 200 separate items now and I want MORE!

I find most of the magazines to be cheap crap, especially when compared with the gorgeous BS books designed by Barbara Martin. The mags scream out "amateurish".
Still, I want (some of) them.

I purchased from e-Bay, PBA galleries, Abandoned Planet, Water Row, Skyline and some others.

I also have 3 Japanese hardcovers and a Japanese poster plugging a film.

My dream is pay homage to Buk by visiting his old addresses at Mariposa and deLongpre whilst swigging rot-got booze and smoking cigars.

Thanks for the info. on Georgia. That's some photo!

I also realize that my entire collection isn't worth even one of the early hardcovers with a painting "tipped" in. Not too crazy about his oils, but I love his doodles. He was a master doodler.

for $5,000 you probably could have rented that place on N. Mariposa Avenue for a whole year and still have had cash left over for booze and cigars.

For sure. It was a roominghouse and it probably cost 25 bucks a month. Lots of whiskey and cigars!

Previous to my serious collecting I had about 100 books and CDs by and about Buk, all stained with beer, coffee and tomato sauce. The newer "quality" stuff is in a separate enclosed bookcase.
the tomato sauce, beer, and coffee stained stuff appeals to me

Welcome, by the way.

Well, I have Crucifix in a Deathhand and it`s signed, but they were all signed. It has an ugly black cover, the texture of which I find unpleasant. Interior paper is good though. Must have been a bitch to produce by the Webbs, bu we all know that already. I plan to sell it in 2020 on Buks`s centennial.

I also have a signed softcover 'Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame' that I enjoy looking at since it is signed on the cover and it is the first signed item I ever purchased, last June.

I have two copies of 'LOVE POEM TO MARINA', a so-called BROADSIDE (small poster), one signed and one not signed. Got those from PBA as well as a signed LETTER TO MY MAILBOX broadside and a signed Ham on Rye broadside. The other broadsides have long titles and I'd rather pour myself a beer now. Oh, yeah, I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me a signed and worn copy of `Play the Piano Drunk...`.

More later. Me thinks I need to set up a databse.

Just noticed that I also have IN THE SHADOW OF THE ROSE, the book with the plain aquamarine cover. Signed. Great cover, but the interior pages seem to be inferior to the other BS stuff.

My interests in Buk are thematic: "the job", booze and women, not necessarily in that order. His simple and honest style grab me. None of that "lacey bullshit". He's more effective than 10,000 whimpering and effete academic conformist poets who deserve nothing less than a kick in the ass and quality time spent in steaming pots of shit.

The poems seem to be weaker than the novels and some poems are downright "Poetry 101 1st-year Liberal Arts student-ish". That's just my opinion, and I'm just a bum.

The novels are gems that belong in every library, school and jailhouse in America. They're also laugh-out-loud funny, most people forgetting that the Bukster was a great writer of comic dialogue. I'm rambling but it's noon now and I've already started on the booze.

P.S. I too was forced to cut the grass as a kid, my mom had a strong accent and I grew up working-class. Do any of you have similar confessions to make?

MULLINAX said:
P.S. I too was forced to cut the grass as a kid, my mom had a strong accent and I grew up working-class. Do any of you have similar confessions to make?

Oh yeah.
Both parents immigrants.
Greek and Irish, so plenty of things to make fun of.
Early school was an ugly place.
Actually things didn't pick up until my last two years of secondary school.
And while all those fuckers got jobs and wives and lives... I'm on this forum... which means I've achieved more than any of them.

Right?

Incidentally...
MULLINAX
Total Posts: 7 (7 posts per day)

Keep up the good work! :D

No problem in my neighbourhood - about 90% of the kids in my grammar school were of immigrant origin.

Any lawn-mowing stories out there? Me. I had countless rakes thrown at me, and yes, I caught hell if I missed a blade! And I used a push-mower when everyone else had one of them gas or electric powered devices.

First job: Pressing jeans at a dry-cleaners.

Second job: Warehouseman loading and unloading boxes.

Third job: Janitor.

All within the span of 2 months.

Father Luke: I too am of the Orthodox persuasion and I own a set of priestly garments.

one year i had 32 w-2 forms. My family plays the Father Luke employment
trivial pursuit game. Whoever names the most jobs wins.

Orthodox ? What flavor? i'm Serbian.

One of the crazy jobs I've had

I had a night security job at a maritime museum on the beach. At times the wind would blow and everything cracked in the building. I was terrified and used to lay down on a long vinyl bench and hid under my coat. I was suppose to walk the two floors every hour and report anything suspicious. Out of fear I slept all I could. One morning the director of the museum came in and looked at me for a long time before I left. I went to the washroom and realized that I had an imprint of a perfect cross with a button right in the center on my cheek.
For some reason I did not last long. . .

We can toast our ancestors, curse our hereditary enemies and plan for the day when our legions stand astride the ramparts of our fallen foes, and with our banners raised high, clutching rot-gut alcohol in one hand and a copy of Post Office in the other, we shall intone the sacred rallying cry: IT BEGAN AS A MISTAKE!

Black Swan: Montrealaise?

The first thing I remember is being under something.

I do not drink, and alas I do not eat meat.

What am I to do? I know!

I'll fight all the women in the building and set fire to every beard on every man in the place!

Then ...

no

wait.

it all began as a mistake. yes. then plumb whiskey, shlivo, and proschuito for you, and
carrot juice and tofu for me.

and i'll still bring the garlic.

The Field Of Blackbirds

Plum whiskey. Plumb is a word used by Southern hicks as in "Ah plumb reckon..."

Prosciutto is good, too.

Sorry about the booze. I've also cut back.

Have you ever been to Nova Gorica in Slovenia, or PLITVITSE (bad spelling), or Sarajevo or Zagreb or that Albanian place Skopje?

And remember, I also don priestly garments on the side.

Ethnicity matters, but it shouldn't. Any thoughts on Bukowski's surname?

What did you buy? Was it on ebay?

Also, I think that it was Georgia Peckham-Krellner (although I'm not 100% sure of the last name). Pam Miller is on this forum. Maybe she will know. They were close friends.
Coincidentally, the famous poster of her and Buk is available on e-Bay right now, even as we speak. Here's the blurb:

"A rare copy of this beautiful poster of the classic, iconic Bukowski image. This was issued by the Literary Press Guild East (Canada) in the late 1970s to promote Bukowski's novel "Women." The photograph is by Ulvis Alberts and Joan Levine. The poster measures 17.5" by 24.5". Folded twice (as issued) it has never been hung or framed and is in excellent condition.

-----

How can the photograph be "by" 2 people.
One held the camera and the other pressed the shutter?

Coincidentally, the famous poster of her and Buk is available on e-Bay right now, even as we speak...

...How can the photograph be "by" 2 people.
One held the camera and the other pressed the shutter?

Yeah, that's my listing. I also have a first hardcover trade edition of The Roominghouse Madrigals up right now. Money's tight... gotta sell something. Here's a better photo of the poster if anyone is interested:

http://collectingbukowski.com/womenposter.html

As to how 2 people can take one photograph, I think that there was some dispute over which of two actually snapped the photo, so it was settled by sharing the credit.

edit... You can find the listings HERE.

As to how 2 people can take one photograph, I think that there was some dispute over which of two actually snapped the photo, so it was settled by sharing the credit.
Yes, both photographers were simultaneously shooting in Bukowski's kitchen that day.

There is another poster issued by Mother Road back in the 90's from that same photo shoot (if you can call it that), credited to Ulvis Alberts. I did black and white photography for about 25 years, had my own darkroom and all that crap, and to my eye (though I'm no forensic photographic expert, and certainly no lawyer, so don't sue me Ms. Levine/Gannij) that looks like an Ulvis Alberts photo.

Must suck when you take one of the most iconic photos of Bukowski and you're not the only photographer snapping away (whoever took it).

That's a great pic of Buk and Georgia! Actually, that pic with some Buk quotes underneath is what turned me on to reading Buk in the late seventies...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was selling that poster for 3 years at a price of 5,- Euros, then had to raise because so many people wanted it and the amount available was limited. Now I ran out of copies and still get questions for it. I know that the printer of that poster has only about 30 copies left and doesn't have the films anymore, so from NOW on, this is a real rarity. Dammit.

The motherfucker who bought the poster left me a negative! Says he was "lead to believe it was higher quality." It was exactly as described, in perfect condition, he got it at a good price, never contacted me about any problem, and then he LEFT ME A FUCKING NEGATIVE!

Shitball.

Guess I'd better go take my blood pressure meds now.

One guy in Washington State refused to sell me an item that I had won on E-BAY because he had sold it earlier in the day to someone who "like, walked into the store, man". The seller was too lazy to ship out the stuff. I gave him a deservedly negative rating and he responded by damning me as well.

Time for a hit.

shake it off, Chris.

Some of these people are shitheads. he got a good deal and does not know it.

Also, you had not left him positive FB, so you were able to give out some nice Retaliatory negative FB, which is always fun.

In the end, it is people like him that I avoid as it is obvious that he is hard to lease. I don't weant to buy off of someone that will leave me neg FB because I paid them in 4 days and they expected it in three...

Also, you can always try the "I'll remove mine if you remove yours" ploy...

Bill

I used to leave positive feedback as soon as I was paid, but seeing more and more of this type of thing made me change that policy. I emailed him and told him if he was interested in mutually withdrawing the negatives, I'm open to it. It just really bugs me that he made no attempt to contact me about it. I guess he was expecting a giclee on canvas and was disappointed that it turned out to be ink on paper.

I got a negative once from a woman who came and picked up the item in person, held it in her hand and looked it over before paying me. I told eBay what happened and they removed it. Worth a try asking them to yank it since the buyer never tried to resolve his complaint.

Jeez. When I used to drive cab there was one guy who would take a taxi to a bar and then insist on buying the driver a drink. If the driver took it, the guy would call the company and report him for drinking on the job. For some reason your experience reminded me of that. Some people just like to try to make trouble for others.

I suppose I could try contacting ebay, but I'm pretty sure that they won't do anything about it. The mutual withdrawal thing is probably my best bet at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back