• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

$7500 (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I know of a few people that own these. If I remember correctly, these sold for $10 each in 1966. Quite a lot for a broadside even now, let alone 40 years ago. Because of that, I suspect that most copies that were bought were kept. It was not like a $1 chapbook that someone would have read and then maybe lent out....

I would bet that most of these are in libraries. That would explain why you do not see them often.

Still... $7500 for a piece of paper... I could not pull that trigger...

Bill

Yep, according to Seamus Cooney's Black Sparrow Checklist, the first broadsides sold for $10. That's $58.59 in 2005 dollars. A high priced item indeed.

But $7500...wow. That's $1280.18 in 1966 dollars. ;)

Insane, yes, but these are extremely rare. Assuming that over half of them are in university libraries (liberries for those of us in Delaware), and will never be sold, and considering that there are rabid collectors that MUST have everything (at least 50 of us are crazy enough to be obsessed with having a COMPLETE run of everything that Bukowski wrote, in every form), and considering as there are far too few to satisfy us all. Supply and demand.

This is one that I'll never own. Now, if I hit the lottery...... That is another story, of course.

Bill

Honestly, even if I did hit the lottery I don't think I could pull the trigger on this item. The price is just SO over the top for me. For the rest of my life, I'd open a leather portfolio, look at it and think to myself, "$7,500? What the fuck was I thinking?" This is not sour grapes because I don't have one. I truely feel these broadsides aren't worth NEARLY what he's asking.

Check his "Bukowski Only" store for more overpriced goodies.

Yep, according to Seamus Cooney's Black Sparrow Checklist, the first broadsides sold for $10. That's $58.59 in 2005 dollars. A high priced item indeed.

But $7500...wow. That's $1280.18 in 1966 dollars. ;)

I just bought a few books of Seamus, it's great to see the covers of all those early broadsides (I'd never seen them before). I agree with Bill, as much as I'd like to own 'everything', these carry a heavy price tag. If anyone else is interested you can contact Seamus through Celery City Books, I bought a handful of titles, fair prices and he'll inscribe them if you so choose...
Now I want to go find out where MJP's price calculator is online for converting $$$/years...
:)

Hi,
I would be surprised if these sold. Very surprised. But if they do, then more power to the seller. These may, or may not be worth that money, but they are certainly very, very rare. There are only two on abe, and those are both of the ones that are listed on ebay. With no other copies to compare against, this would be the price setter. If they sell for $7500 each, then they really are worth it.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back