A Fine Man, A Fine Book (1 Viewer)

Here's what I can tell about this oddity: A bit of an anomaly, this "palm book" was first produced in 1982 by Felicia Rice of Mutant Drone Press. Cirerita apparently provided chronic with a scan of the 1984 seond printing for his website "Collecting Bukowski."

The first printing, accoring to information linked by chronic's website indicates:

http://www.movingpartspress.com/Text/fineman.htm

About the book
"I printed the book to give out to all my fellow carriers as I was leaving the post office where I'd been working for six months. The post master was celebrated for his irrational and cruel abuse of authority. I can still go in to that office and mention his name to the clerks at the counter, or to a carrier on the street, and they know exactly who Polzine is and his reputation. I believe he went on to head up one of those post offices where one of first the shootings took place. I have always understood "going postal." Any organization which requires employees to wear uniforms is a paramilitary organization, and the post office is populated by vets whose consciousness and understanding of power was established during the Vietnam War. It can be a dangerous place. Trained from the age of 5 to view the "Mail Man" as a friendly and helpful, most patrons fail to recognize a hostile carrier. I know, I tried to share my bad attitude and received high fives and smiles all along my route.

It is not a miniature book (which are ludicrous), but a "palm book." In the early years of the Labor Movement in this country, workers needed to pass information secretly, so small books were made to pass from hand to hand out of sight of the bosses. We were watched constantly in the P.O. and this violation of privacy immediately set up an us-them dynamic in which workers were there to rip off the bosses by stealing and cheating. What else do workers do?"

Felicia Rice

Edition
First printing: "I have a list of numbers up to 40 with names of who got what copy. There are numbers without names and a few names without numbers and scribbled addition equaling 63 on the back. Betcha there were 63 of this, with 40 numbered copies. Apparently I didn't maintain the record after a certain point." FR
Second printing: 50

Type
Printed by Felicia Rice on a Vandercook proof press in Intertype Times Roman and handset Franklin Gothic.

Images
Drawings from Mendocino Beacon newspaper for a local production of "Oliver," acquired with 1906 Colts Armory letterpress in 1978

Pages
First printing: 12 unpaginated leaves
Second printing: 14 unpaginated leaves

Paper
First printing: Printed in black on handmade white German Hayle paper, offcuts from Wm. Everson's 'fine book' "Granite & Cypress" by Robinson Jeffers. Former apprentices did various things with the offcuts of that gorgeous sheet.
Second printing: Printed in black on off-white Lana Laid paper, offcuts from the Moving Parts Press project at the time, "Blue Hooks in Weather" by Christopher Buckley.

Binding
First printing: Hand sewn with white thread and wrapped in blue and black mottled paper (a cheap sheet I had picked up in Holland, like an old-fashioned blank journal cover) by Feliciia Rice. Label attached to the front cover.
Second printing: Hand sewn with white thread and wrapped in varnished Moriki burgundy paper by Felicia Rice. Label attached to the front cover.

Colophon
First printing: "Mutant Drone Press | April Nineteen Eight-two"
Second printing: "Mutant Drone Press | First printing: April Eighty-two | Second printing:June Eighty-four"

Publisher
Mutant Drone Press, the one-and-only wholly-owned subsidiary of Moving Parts Press

Thanks, chronic for allowing me to reproduce this here. If there's an issue, have the mods delete, or let me know and I will do so.

So what's the deal? Did Buk authorize this, or is Felicia speaking in the first person?

Copies of the first printing are likely to be almost unavailable, and the second is also very hard to find. I managed to pick up a second printing in fine condition the other day, but I had to guess at what to bid (selling price for the second printing was $50 in 1984).

Any info would be appreciated in terms of history and possible market value.

Thanks,

Stickpin

I think that it is lo-tech. I think that you have to call and send a check. They do not seem to have any paypal or other purchase links that do not involve calling or e-mailing them.
Bill

Well, then I'm as dumb as paint, but I don't see any contact info on that page, and if I were a book seller, I'd make things clear as day for purchasing.

I bought mine off ebay because else nothing showed up anywhere I could find it. Hard to believe that copies still are sitting there in the original publication house after 25 years.

Some of these showed up a couple of years ago in PBA lot auctions, but no other availability was obtainable on-line. Ah, bugger. Maybe I overpaid.

Hopefully they are not selling them. Their website is hard as hell to figure out. I still think that you paid a fair price.

Bill

I'm kind of embarrased to admit that a couple of years ago I asked Felicia how come she ever put out that little book, and she went ahead and wrote what you can read on her website as a reply of sorts and I never got back to her :(

I have always had issue with this being considered an "A" item. It came out 12 years after the book Post Office, and had excerpts. It seems to break the rule of the bibliography as having been the first separate publications.

Bill

It is not listed as "sold out" on her publication page. There is an email contact on her purchase page.

That site uses frames, a very cutting edge web technology. In 1995. I've seen a lot worse, but frames...ouch. I thought those went out with the <blink> tag. ;)

The last time we criticized a website it brought an unspeakable rage from rural Oregon.

I wonder if we can expect a profanity laden diatribe from Ms. Rice...

Bill

Well, you never really know the freshness date of information on the web. I think there's still a web site out there that says you can order Blowing My Hero for $8, so you never know. That the book is not tagged "sold out" doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I was researching this book because I was interested in buying Bill's copy (which I did).

I reached out to Felicia and the second edition is still available for $50. Pretty low price when compared to the only one on Abe ($125 from Jeff Maser, who is very reasonable on most items).

Warning: Purchasing is even lower tech than her site:)

Here's her note:

Dear Mike,

I usually send an invoice and receive payment, then send the book. Or send the book with an invoice and receive payment afterward.

There are over 20 books left of the second printing of 50 at $50.

Send the Bukowski collectors my way!

Feliciia
_____

Felicia Rice
831-427-2271

Moving Parts Press | 10699 Empire Grade | Santa Cruz, CA 95060 | fax 831-458-2810 | movingpartspress.com

Thanks for dredging up a thread that highlights how I overpaid for an item that can still be had for the original 1984 release price from the publisher. :rolleyes:

Trust me, the info you provided me yesterday on my copy of "It Catches..." stung far worse...

It happens...

I may be a bit ignorant, but I don't really see, what's so special about it or why a Buk-fan would want to pay 50 bucks for it. Can anybody teach me?

You aren't ignorant. It doesn't make sense that the thing has garnered the attention that it has. It's something someone did to give to her friends. If that's in bibliographies then there are a thousand other things completely unrelated to Bukowski's actual publications that they may as well also throw into bibliographies.

It is really a bit of a strange book. Not sure why it is considered an "A" item as it is excerpts from a book that was printed 11 years earlier. The book is a very cool miniature book, though.

How dare you! Miniature books are ludicrous!

"It is not a miniature book (which are ludicrous), but a 'palm book.'"

There are only a few items in the biblio that I disagree with their inclusion. Those are:

1) The signature offprints. As offprints, they should not be included, especially as they were for the authors use only and limited to only 6 copies.

2) I Fine Man, A Fine Book - Excerpts from a previously published novel should not be counted.

3) Pastoral broadside. Printed in 1986 but never actually published. The publisher finally ebayed a few copies in 2008 or so, but holds almost all ot the print run. I have seen maybe 10 copies come up for sale from them. Either way, it certainly was NOT published in 1996 as for over a decade no one had a copy but the publisher.

There may be one or two more, but these are the ones, as a (previous) collector always bugged me.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back